Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truth about traveller crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    What are your qualifications that prove that you are an authority on what you pontificate about?

PHD in first hand experience of your " travelling people " friends

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Perhaps, I assume you could at least fill 10 pages at font size 11 or 12?
    That would put you at masters level.

My monocle just fell into my China cup.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    PHD in first hand experience of your " travelling people " friends

Is that a bit like being a full time mad bastard?

boombang wrote: »
    No, you'd be clapped in irons for hate speech.

I could live with that.... Better then it is now where I can't go anywhere or visit my dad but the travellers can cross the Irish sea, cross our island back and forth, set up home on an army controlled area and not be touched or questioned.....

Hilarious country we live in

I could live with that.... Better then it is now where I can't go anywhere or visit my dad but the travellers can cross the Irish sea, cross our island back and forth, set up home on an army controlled area and not be touched or questioned.....

Hilarious country we live in

Do you think your life would be better if you have been born to a traveller family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mynamejeff wrote: »
    petrol is a lot cheaper these days
    mynamejeff wrote: »
    petrol is cheap these days …..

Heard of a farmer in Cavan using a slurry tanker. Sprayed all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,354 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Would they not even be selfish and care about their own health.

If it gets into a group like that they'll be fairly heavily wiped out. Might be a hard learned but valuable lesson for the future.

Settled peoples' fault don't you know?

From my experience they love to spend time in hospital waiting areas.

Do you think your life would be better if you have been born to a traveller family?

Well I'd definitely have more cash in my pocket....

Well I'd definitely have more cash in my pocket....

Yes but none in the bank as travellers do not use banks. So that would more than offset it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogfairy

Yes but none in the bank as travellers do not use banks. So that would more than offset it.

They use Travellers cheques?...

From my experience they love to spend time in hospital waiting areas.

It's a sport for travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Several Sulkies on the the Headford Road Galway..... Again

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's a sport for travellers

What do they get out of it?
    The idea of spending 10 - 12 hours in A&E would fill most people with a felling of dread.

Is their compulsion to get something for nothing(even something they don't need) that powerful?

Not true...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

bunderoon wrote: »
    While renovating our house, I have come across 2 separate groups of travellers trespassing, breaking & entering and stealing from the site.

One group of 3 were from Charlestown. I caught them on camera. They were arrested and on the day in court, were given a 100e fine each. Nothing else. My stuff was not returned or the damaged fixed. I assume the 100e went to the State - if it was ever paid.

The other group of two were local to my town. We know to see each other. I made sure that they know that I know it was them. They think they were caught on camera so they have not come near us since.

Both groups live in council owned semi-ds.

My dad operated a one man garage and he had a few run ins aswell over the years. One example - Machinery and tools going missing when 5 would arrive at the garage at the same time and they would separate and go in and around the place and my dad dealing with the eldest of them.

What can be done?

What can be done?? Fire. Fire. And more fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Poor child hasn't a hope in life

Do you know where it's from?

As in what country?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Poor child hasn't a hope in life

Do you know where it's from?

As in what country?

In Ireland somewhere

10fathoms wrote: »

What's the problem?
    It's much the same as when indigenous tribes administer hallucinogenic drugs to young adults as a rite of passage ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

At least he put it in the bin

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    At least he put it in the bin

Well they can't litter scenic parts of the countryside if the don't have full bins to drive to those locations with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

10fathoms wrote: »

Looks like he had already had one or two judging by the condition of his Hugo Boss shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Are these the tweets john connors doesnt like? Apparently the first one is racist because it refers to travellers as nuggets, is there any point in sharing a nugget of wisdom/information with him?

sharronwardcomments2.jpg?&width=640

sharronwardcomments.jpg?&width=640

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

chosen1 wrote: »
    It's fairly common in Longford to refer to them as Minks and you'd sometimes here them call themselves Minkers.

I would say like a lot of 'Cant' or Shelta words, that it's a deliberate corruption of Tinker.

Loads of words seems to have changed to be secretive, such as 'tobar' instead of bothar for road or 'laceen' instead of cailín for girl

You sure the word 'tobar' is used by travellers? I thought that's what they used in ram raids and breaking into homes and business' up and down the country.

What do they get out of it?
    The idea of spending 10 - 12 hours in A&E would fill most people with a felling of dread.

Is their compulsion to get something for nothing(even something they don't need) that powerful?

They get to fret collectively about auntie Julia who's in having some bunion work done, ringing the few who haven't shown up with updates every five minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

chosen1 wrote: »

Loads of words seems to have changed to be secretive, such as 'tobar' instead of bothar for road or 'laceen' instead of cailín for girl
    'Tobar' is Irish for 'well' but that wouldn't make sense, so have they dropped the 'h' from 'bothar' and done an anagram? I hear that they're mad into Countdown...

How is 'laceen' pronounced? Is is just like 'lasseen', a small lass?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

'Tobar' is Irish for 'well' but that wouldn't make sense, so have they dropped the 'h' from 'bothar' and done an anagram? I hear that they're mad into Countdown...

How is 'laceen' pronounced? Is is just like 'lasseen', a small lass?

Yes that's right about "tobar", it's just the Irish "bóthar" with some sounds transposed. A lot of Shelta / Cant / Gammon words derive from Irish in this way. Similarly "lackeen" is just "cailín" with the "c" and "l" sounds transposed so you could write it using Irish spelling as "laicín", and that's the way it's pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What's the problem?
    It's much the same as when indigenous tribes administer hallucinogenic drugs to young adults as a rite of passage ceremony.
    quite beautiful in its own way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,354 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's the problem?

We are supposed to be a country with, you know, laws against abusing children by plying them with drink? We are not in an inaccessible rainforest ffs.

If a regular person did this to their kid and posted it online, social services wouldn't be long arriving on their doorstep.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement