Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truth about traveller crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

fryup wrote: »
    can someone answer me this question...

Why are there so many irish travellers living in england?? has it always been that way or is it a recent (past 20yrs) phenomenon??

Section 24 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 2002 prohibits anybody from entering or occupying land where this is likely to lead to substantial damage to the land or its amenity. This effectively criminalised a lot of traveller camping, and so they moved to the UK where laws are slacker.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1486165/Ireland-has-a-solution-for-Conservatives.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1018702/trespass-illegal-criminal-offence-police-eviction-ireland-uk-news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

These numbers are from Wikipedia so may not be the most accurate.

About 30,000 Irish travellers in Ireland and about 15,000 in the UK

Many have been in the UK for generations and moved for economic reasons.

Even if you mainly make a living from illegal activity there is more money to be make in a country not in recession than one that is.

There are many other itinerant groups in Britain - the Romani, Kale, Scottish travellers, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

goose2005 wrote: »
    There are many other itinerant groups in Britain - the Romani, Kale, Scottish travellers, etc.

Yes that's why the 15,000 figure for Irish Travellers in the UK is an estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i have another question....

are english gypsies and irish tinkers two totally different races ?? (for want of a better word)

is there a mutual respect amongst them? do they mix? inter marry? or fued?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

due to the fact that tinkers are a closed society and stick to their own , they retain their irish accents despite having been born in the uk

the likes of paddy doherty , he was born in england , never lived in ireland , yet has an irish accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

What to do with the travelling community...one of lifes many unanswerable questions it seems.

A people who offer nothing positive to society, unemployable, career criminals, filthy, animal abusers...

Really they should be confined to designated halting sites, in my experience they cannot be integrated in with regular people, you also cant expect regular people to live with them, they are truly a different species, more akin to a virus than a human being, they move into an area and destroy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Treat them as they treat you, you would be surprised at the amount of travelers who back down when you stand up to them. Got arrested fighting a traveller once after he attempted to hit me outside a pub, surprise surprise the traveller didn't as i was on top of him when the guards came, but was quite satisfied with my night out the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

i have another question....

are english gypsies and irish tinkers two totally different races ?? (for want of a better word)

is there a mutual respect amongst them? do they mix? inter marry? or fued?

They are largely different, gypsies are more Romani, while the travellers are Irish people who travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Sandor Clegane, @Still waters - don't post in the thread again.

To everybody else - the topic can be discussed without gross generalisations or derogatory language. It shouldn't be too hard to make your point without resorting to either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

boombang wrote: »

See this:
    Pavee Point also called on Kildare County Council to provide basic facilities such as water and portable toilets to the Travellers for the duration of the Covid-19 restrictions.

It's always take, take, take isn't it. Travellers always want to be treated differently. Imagine if my family pulled up somewhere that wasn't my property to pitch down and then start asking the council to provide facilities.

Takes some level of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

Barely a day goes by without videos of them fighting or posing with weapons are all over Whatsapp. They were at it in Enniscorthy yesterday too, and some smack one of them got from a car

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

Danzy wrote: »
    They are largely different, gypsies are more Romani, while the travellers are Irish people who travel.

Or don't travel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/large-crowd-at-funeral-of-crash-victim-as-guidelines-are-ignored-39150539.html

The current restrictions don't apply to them

I know people who had to bury loved ones recently and grandchildren etc couldnt attend

The guards really need to clamp down hard

No more than 10

Anymore than that charge the rest under COVID-19 legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/large-crowd-at-funeral-of-crash-victim-as-guidelines-are-ignored-39150539.html

The current restrictions don't apply to them

I know people who had to bury loved ones recently and grandchildren etc couldnt attend

The guards really need to clamp down hard

No more than 10

Anymore than that charge the rest under COVID-19 legislation

We just don't have the legal procedures and protocols to deal with them. I mean most of their kids would have to be put into care if you were to apply the letter of the law to them, and probably most of them locked up for other crimes, the males anyway. I can only assume the Garda must have some kind of hands-off containment strategy when it comes to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

See this:

It's always take, take, take isn't it. Travellers always want to be treated differently. Imagine if my family pulled up somewhere that wasn't my property to pitch down and then start asking the council to provide facilities.

Takes some level of entitlement.

I'd love to see how long you would be left in peace on a state controlled property or land and more so one controlled by the army.....

Seriously they are giving us all the 2 fingers and just showing us even more what most are like....

If I pulled up there in my car or camper I'd be moved fast, very fast and be slapped with a fine for the troubles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

There is hardly a town or village in Ireland that isnt impacted by Traveller crime etc at this stage but the Government dont want to tackle it head on ??

Longford, Enniscorthy, Curragh, Birr, Patrickswell , Tipperary Town,Ballinasloe , Tallaght all had traveller related issues in last few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

LuasSimon wrote: »
    There is hardly a town or village in Ireland that isnt impacted by Traveller crime etc at this stage but the Government dont want to tackle it head on ??

FG gave them ethnic minority status. FG are still running the country.
    FF would have done the same.

That said, with the high suicide rate I don't thunk being a traveller is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We just don't have the legal procedures and protocols to deal with them. I mean most of their kids would have to be put into care if you were to apply the letter of the law to them, and probably most of them locked up for other crimes, the males anyway. I can only assume the Garda must have some kind of hands-off containment strategy when it comes to them.

I agree but you can't be hands off with one section of society and not another

The grief is no less for others who have lost loved ones recently

It can't be impossible to hold up any funeral if more than 10 are present or send them home

They are endangering themselves and others in society with the lack of social distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BlueSkyDay

Barely a day goes by without videos of them fighting or posing with weapons are all over Whatsapp. They were at it in Enniscorthy yesterday too, and some smack one of them got from a car

Why don't people show the footage to the law,and expose their cunning ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

BlueSkyDay wrote: »
    Why don't people show the footage to the law,and expose their cunning ways.

Pointless exercise. Lunchtime yesterday they were racing sulkies on the Headford Road yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Now now folks we can't be upsetting the knacks by treating them the same as everyone else, what would their world come to if we started taking the kids off them and educating them, they need to grow up to embrace the culture of free money housing and land while thinking everyone owes them something

...sounds like the kind of ****e Mary Lou might promise..pesky lower classes..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Discodog wrote: »
    Pointless exercise. Lunchtime yesterday they were racing sulkies on the Headford Road yet again

Essential journey no doubt. Those horses won't kill themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Geuze wrote: »
    Racism implies saying something negative that is not the truth.

In this case, it isn't racism, as it isn't untruthful to say that crime is higher among travellers.

That is the simple truth.
    Some of the CSO figures are racist as well. I think we should ban these racist statistics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

sasta le wrote: »
    How can one legally become a Traveller in Ireland?

Do you want to stop paying taxes, bin charges & electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I agree but you can't be hands off with one section of society and not another

The grief is no less for others who have lost loved ones recently

It can't be impossible to hold up any funeral if more than 10 are present or send them home

They are endangering themselves and others in society with the lack of social distancing

They'd show up anyway if the Garda tried to police it and it would be more trouble than it's worth, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

That said, with the high suicide rate I don't think being a traveller is fun.

it is sad really, as shown in the channel 4 documentary last week most traveller young or discouraged to go to secondary school, i suppose the older generation are afraid they might get notions any try and better themselves and turn their backs on traditions??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

it is sad really, as shown in the channel 4 documentary last week most traveller young or discouraged to go to secondary school, i suppose the older generation are afraid they might get notions any try and better themselves and turn their backs on traditions??

What tradition... They don't even do what their ancestors did..... They could actually work and repair many items and make stuff too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

People do what you let them away with....

Their behaviour with the funerals is a disgrace but they are enabled by the state.

The Romanian lad getting 3 months was easy pickings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Hit them in their pockets.....only way
    70% dole for the next ten weeks would get these boys to tow the line pretty fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement