Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulgarian workers/Keelings - read OP (threadbans listed)

• 16-04-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-19-workers-brought-ireland-pick-seasonal-fruits-1001269

Keelings charter a flight from Bulgaria to bring in a plane load of fruit pickers, otherwise we would have no strawberries to eat.

Meanwhile Irish people are in lockdown an not allowed to go to work to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Whats going on here, why is this sort of thing allowed.

Mod warning/threadban list - 20/04/20
    I understand this issue has been in the news again and I've been asked to re-open the thread

I am doing so, but the following posters are banned from posting in the thread again

Notdeco
    Donald Trump
    RandomViewer

added 24/0420
    blackwhite
    KyussB

A few more are on thin ice - interact in a civil manner if you wish to retain posting privileges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

mgn wrote: »
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-19-workers-brought-ireland-pick-seasonal-fruits-1001269

Keelings charter a flight from Bulgaria to bring in a plane load of fruit pickers, otherwise we would have no strawberries to eat.

Meanwhile Irish people are in lockdown an not allowed to go to work to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Keelings confirmed all workers will do 14 days of isolation before being allowed to work

https://twitter.com/daily_stendhal/status/1250854659167830019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Did you apply for one of the fruit picking jobs yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Do you get it, yet? Do you get it?

The lockdown is not for your safety.
    I think this story is finally going to wake a lot of people up.

I couldn't attend a family funeral. But 200 Eastern Europeans are allowed to come into Irleand with no questions asked.

The Police State is disgusting and an attack on Irish people. People will have to be held accountable for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

This could go all pear shaped for Keelings. Gonna be a lot of sour grapes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

The lockdown doesn’t and has never affected people who need to get to work in order to keep the rest of the country fed, regardless of their nationality. I would have thought this goes without saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

So a lot of Irish are without jobs now, and would love to get outside and work.

Yet people are being flown into the country to work?

Yea what could go wrong?
    Keelings are going to pay the price for this imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

My understanding, as told to me by a lad who had tried to get work with them, is that they get food and board on the site and by providing this the company then skirts paying minimum wage, as they're just helpers and not officially employees, only paying them expenses incurred and pocket money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm curious as to level of skill the recently imported professional fruit pickers have? Did they train under a Zen master to be one with the fruit or is it as I suspect their willingness to work long hours at physical tough work for a pittance?

Btw Keelings, I will never buy your products again or off a company you supply to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

quokula wrote: »
    The lockdown doesn’t and has never affected people who need to get to work in order to keep the rest of the country fed, regardless of their nationality. I would have thought this goes without saying.

So you think its okay to fly in a plane load of people to pick strawberries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

:)
    Notdeco wrote: »

Yea what could go wrong?
    Kellings are going to pay the price for this imo.

lol . Are you saying Irish people would get off there arse to pick fruit?

People who lost there jobs are getting paid 350 a week to sit on the couch.

• Advertisement

I'm curious as to level of skill the recently imported professional fruit pickers have? Did they train under a Zen master to be one with the fruit or is it as I suspect their willingness to work long hours at physical tough work for a pittance?

Btw Keelings, I will never buy your products again or off a company you supply to.
    Euro to a cent its the latter.

Disgraceful carry on in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This is exactly why they want refugees and others coming in as it's cheap as chips labour....

Many many Irish wouldn't dream of these jobs also.....

We really should look at Australia and so on where anyone coming in has to does these types of jobs for a year and then can move on after....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

The government will come out now with some bull s11t statement. The whole scam is unravelling.

Irish people are too good for that kind of more now, wouldn't do it.

I used to know a chap with mushroom tunnels. Couldn't get an Irish person for love or money during the Tiger years. Brought in the Lithuanians and they developed a great relationship. Come the recession everyone wanted him to send them home but sure why would he. Even then, still couldn't keep an Irish person when any new roles arose.

Fruit and veg picking is hard work and will always be lowly paid. It seems to be a characteristic of developed societies that you can't find people to do low paid menial work with little chance of progression.

We either too well qualified or else happy to rely on welfare.

Keeling supply Tesco and Aldi. Are these supermarkets on the naughty list now?

quokula wrote: »

You are describing essential workers, a planeload of people expressly flown to the country to pick fruit does not meet the essential criteria in my eyes. Surely Keelings would have found a willing 200 in the almost 800,000 jobless here.

The whole thing is unravelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Exactly this, they wouldn't get €350 for doing that back breaking work....

Its basically slave labour,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Race to the bottom.

Supply and demand.

Aldi Lidl.

Boycott them if it annoys you so much.

But don't we love the cheap food.

• Advertisement

Keeling supply Tesco and Aldi. Are these supermarkets on the naughty list now?

I thought it was obvious when I said I wouldn't buy the products they supply. I believe Tesco's sells many thousands of products not sourced from Keelings for eg Dairygold, Heinz Ketchup etc etc.

Its basically slave labour,

Agreed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

So you think its okay to fly in a plane load of people to pick strawberries.
    What's your point? You are being done out of a job, or you just don't want immigrants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Where did you get that impression?

Of course food providers are allowed to work. This is obvious to anybody who's been in a supermarket in the last month.
    I did a quick Google and Keelings are advertising for people. I don't think there's anything stopping you applying.

Maybe you, but I'd rather travel and work than sit on my arse!
    And so would many others like to get out of the house and feel like they are doing something.
    But I am still working, if I wasn't and saw people being brought in to work. When there is a work force here, wanting to work. Why the **** would I not be pissed off?!
    It's people like you I hate, always putting down our own.
    When most of us are hard working.

So many are out of jobs.
    Yet we get dickhead posts like this!

Shame on you!
    Really. Shame on you.

plodder wrote: »
    What's your point? You are being done out of a job, or you just don't want immigrants?

You've done well to try twist the point, didn't quite work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Yea what could go wrong?
    Keelings are going to pay the price for this imo.
    A lot of Irish wouldn't do that type of work

That's some leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Absolutely vile stuff. Will be boycotting keelings from now on.

• Advertisement

A lot of Irish wouldn't do that type of work

I'm sure we could've found 200 though who would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Quite a few here seem to believe the fruit picks itself.

Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

mulbot wrote: »
    The whole thing is unravelling.

peoples sanity? yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

You've done well to try twist the point, didn't quite work.
    What is your point then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

What is your point then?

Strange that someone would design a bot and actually call it a bot

Maybe you, but I'd rather travel and work than sit on my arse!
    And so would many others like to get out of the house and feel like they are doing something.
    But I am still working, if I wasn't and saw people being brought in to work. When there is a work force here, wanting to work. Why the **** would I not be pissed off?!
    It's people like you I hate, always putting down our own.
    When most of us are hard working.

So many are out of jobs.
    Yet we get dickhead posts like this!

Shame on you!
    Really. Shame on you.

Faux outrage.

• Advertisement

Quite a few here seem to believe the fruit picks itself.

Bizarre.

How did you arrive at that. You are the only one who has suggested fruit picks itself. You are making an argument to have with yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Would love to know if these workers were tested for covid 19 ?

I would say they more than likely were not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I wonder what other companies are doing the same thing?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

What is your point then?

I think you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I'm sure we could've found 200 though who would.
    would they be fast enough, between smoking and the phone I'd say a lot of the strawberries would rot

• Advertisement

My point has nothing to do with the job the are doing or immigrants,

In case you have being living under a rock for the past few weeks, we are in the middle of pandemic and people being brought into the country without being tested.
    Ask any health care worker what the think of it before you start trying to play the race card sh*t with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

This is like the perfect storm of racists, social welfare haters and covid-19 conspiracy theorists all arriving into one thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The government will come out now with some bull s11t statement. The whole scam is unravelling.

The scam being the global pandemic!

Orchestrated by a North Dublin fruit farm?

Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Blue in the face from trying to explain this.

These employers here and in the UK do not want locals because they would have to pay the minimum wage along with various other cover.

They bring in loads of people from poor places such as Romania through agencies and pay them what is considered ok in their country.

They get shoved dozens to a shed and get the pleasure of paying back their employer 50% if not more of their wage for "room and board"

It works for them as the take home pay that would see them homeless here would be handy enough when they go back home.

Look at the UK, the various agencies and that have been moaning for weeks and yet they keep telling locals the positions have been filled only to go public moaning again about shortages and how "they need special dispensation" to bring in migrant workers

It's slave labour they want and I mean it, be lucky come out with €5 an hour after you've paid your "generous employer" back for the room and board

Be some crack maintaining social distancing in lodgings more crammed than an army barracks

However in saying that if lads want their own citizens get these jobs without having to still pay loads welfare like a dole top up to €203 then we'll have to expect to pay at least 2/3/4 times what we pay for picked fruit and veg now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Great news.
    Keeping the food chain going.
    Fresh fruit for all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

It's not slave labour the wages are quite good 400-500 work per week and they live in site. HOWEVER I don't know how many hours they do per week for that salary. The same workers come back year after year, so it mustn't be too bad. I'd love to know who keelings chose this recruitment route though. I certainly wouldn't consider them an Irish food producer.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I hope revenue are all over Keelings after this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

ricero wrote: »
    Absolutely vile stuff. Will be boycotting keelings from now on.

More yummy fresh fruit for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Some people were calling for Michael O leary as minister for health here a few weeks ago!!

Same people now outraged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Some of them didn't even lose their jobs!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement