Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulgarian workers/Keelings - read OP (threadbans listed)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I picked strawberries in a fruit farm up the road when in was a kid.
    5am starts.
    Back breaking work.
    Small pay.

I’d stay home and take my €350 any day of the week.

And so would the rest of you virtue signalling hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Keelings Facebook page has some interesting comments. The most stark are those from Health care workers who have described Keelings behaviour as a kick in the teeth to frontline health care staff.
    Major PR disaster for Keelings. My last comment , night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

A lot of Irish wouldn't do that type of work

There is even more that would, the type that would like to work and feel good after doing a good day's work, rather than taking money for nothing off the government.
    Yet we get these idiot posts that's all about the money.

So many sad posters coming on here saying Irish won't do it for the money. It's about a lot more than that.

I'd feel proud for doing a hard day's work rather than sitting on my arse, and I'm sure 90% of those that have lost their jobs would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

People panic buying probably increased demand, only to throw them in the bin.

I wonder how many people complaining either applied for the job themselves or what they are doing personally to keep food on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

plodder wrote: »
    I'm still wondering what the point of this is, if the poster didn't want the job themself, or they weren't complaining about immigrants generally.
    Hes like most people, wants employers to pay their staff huge wages and the government to pump money into everything but when food prices and income tax go up hes out on the streets protesting, braindead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

ricero wrote: »
    Absolutely vile stuff. Will be boycotting keelings from now on.
    What's vile exactly? Keelings have been bringing in seasonal staff for decades. They are absolutely essential to the fruit and veg production in this country.

Most of those coming in will have spent several summers in St.Margarets before and are highly productive. This is not simply 'picking strawberries' for pocket money. Most of these pickers are extremely efficient and highly experienced. Some can earn a serious living over the summer. You think Keelings want to recruit 200 'hairdressers' or whatever and have to train every one of them from scratch??

Keeling put them up so there's very little interaction with the outside community anyway.
    Will be boycotting keelings from now on.
    Good luck with that. Almost all fruit AND veg in this country both imported and home grown passes through either Keelings or one of it's subsidiaries at one stage or another. They supply EVERY supermarket chain in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The OP wouldn't last a day doing the work. Although would do him no harm to try it for a day.

And would likely be shite at it anyway.

Notdeco wrote: »
    There is even more that would, the type that would like to work and feel good after doing a good day's work, rather than taking money for nothing off the government.
    Yet we get these idiot posts that's all about the money.

So many sad posters coming on here saying Irish won't do it for the money. It's about a lot more than that.

I'd feel proud for doing a hard day's work rather than sitting on my arse, and I'm sure 90% of those that have lost their jobs would agree.
    Are you Dinny or Miley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

leavingirl wrote: »
    Do you get it, yet? Do you get it?

The lockdown is not for your safety.
    I think this story is finally going to wake a lot of people up.

I couldn't attend a family funeral. But 200 Eastern Europeans are allowed to come into Irleand with no questions asked.

The Police State is disgusting and an attack on Irish people. People will have to be held accountable for this.

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Some of them didn't even lose their jobs!

I would love to see the honest job description of what the job requires and pay + benefits.

Irish people would be climbing over each other to get one of the jobs according to notdeco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

s1ippy wrote: »
    My understanding, as told to me by a lad who had tried to get work with them, is that they get food and board on the site and by providing this the company then skirts paying minimum wage, as they're just helpers and not officially employees, only paying them expenses incurred and pocket money.

Nonsense

5am starts.
    Back breaking work.
    Small pay.

Lazy ****,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

mgn wrote: »
    My point has nothing to do with the job the are doing or immigrants,

In case you have being living under a rock for the past few weeks, we are in the middle of pandemic and people being brought into the country without being tested.
    Ask any health care worker that the think of it before you start trying to play the race card sh*t with me.
    So, what are they supposed to do? Let the food rot because nobody can pick it.

Food supply is an essential industry and if they can't find people to do the work here then they have to bring them in from abroad.

Keelings Facebook page has some interesting comments. The most stark are those from Health care workers who have described Keelings behaviour as a kick in the teeth to frontline health care staff.
    Major PR disaster for Keelings. My last comment , night all.
    I'm buying extra Keelings produce from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

So a lot of Irish are without jobs now, and would love to get outside and work.

Yet people are being flown into the country to work?

Yea what could go wrong?
    Keelings are going to pay the price for this imo.

Job description and wages wouldn’t be fancy enough for our Irish.... loads having a continuous party at moment with their 350 plus weekly handout for doing nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Cheerio Keelings. This will be a disaster for them. All over social media now also.

Lazy ****,

I completely agree that I’m lazy.
    I’m the laziest person you may ever meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

5am starts.
    Back breaking work.
    Small pay.

Luxury, when I was a kid, we used to get up at 3 am, and hour before we went to bed, and we wouldnt have backs to break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The OP wouldn't last a day doing the work. Although would do him no harm to try it for a day.

And would likely be shite at it anyway.

I have worked for the past 35+ years and compared to some of the jobs i have done, it would be like a holiday for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You are describing essential workers, a planeload of people expressly flown to the country to pick fruit does not meet the essential criteria in my eyes. Surely Keelings would have found a willing 200 in the almost 800,000 jobless here.

They wont be paying more than €350 a week. So those 800,000 would be worse off it they took the job.
    Staff stay on mobile homes on site. They don’t leave the farm.

Not supporting them just providing clear details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Remember this is only the start. The government have given permission for 1500 romanian and hungarian workers to be flown in on charter flights.

So much for a lockdown and not being able to move more than 2km from home.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Hes like most people, wants employers to pay their staff huge wages and the government to pump money into everything but when food prices and income tax go up hes out on the streets protesting, braindead
    Can't you see that sitting on your arse getting 350 a week is adding to the tax burden?
    Get work were you can makes for good well being, and a lesser tax burden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

5am starts.
    Back breaking work.
    Small pay.

So you are saying it's OK to bring in slave labour workers during a pandemic so people can eat strawberries? Do you not care that this could spread the virus even more, as long as you have your 350 screw every one else

Luxury, when I was a kid, we used to get up at 3 am, and hour before we went to bed, and we wouldnt have backs to break

Don’t be mad.
    Your still a kid.

A lot of Irish wouldn't do that type of work

Primarily because you get paid next to nothing. Transition year student would earn about as much on work experience.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Cheerio Keelings. This will be a disaster for them. All over social media now also.
    Doubt it, it will be forgotten in a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The funny thing is ya have lads here that think being paid below min wage is somehow what people should be doing in a high cost country.

Fairly backward view there. Btw people are out of work temporarily on 350e. The other payment is jobskeers. Get it right please. A pullet of strawberries is at least a fiver and spoils quickly so it ain't cheap.

Are you Dinny or Miley

I'm not deco, thank fcuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Yeah!!
    In true social media form let's hunt a company and force them to close because were too lazy to work for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

This virus has brought out the worst bunch

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Simon and the rest will be delighted with this, after all the EU freedom of movement is superior to the wellbeing of the people of this country. We wouldn't want to upset the Bulgarians by not letting them in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Does anyone think before they shriek anymore?

Sawduck wrote: »
    So you are saying it's OK to bring in slave labour workers during a pandemic so people can eat strawberries? Do you not care that this could spread the virus even more, as long as you have your 350 screw every one else

Never said any of those things.
    But If I had a choice of 39 hours at min wage or so nothing and get 350, then it’s PlayStation all the way.

Anyone who would do otherwise is either lying or thick as schit.

Have you ever picked fruit? If not now is your chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bet you any of them yummy mummies or dowdy housewives complaining wouldn't dream of sending their little dears fruit picking for a pittance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

mgn wrote: »
    I have worked for the past 35+ years and compared to some of the jobs i have done, it would be like a holiday for me.

Of course it would. Sure anything must be simple and easy when ya don't ever have to do it yourself :pac:

Go ahead and try it. I'm sure they'd have weekend work available too if ya want a holiday to get you out of the house. You'd get a quick land and learn fairly quickly that it might not be the holiday you think it is.

I'd give ya an hour before you'd be slinking off trying to make a speedy getaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

The fact that Keelings chartered the flight and it still pays says a lot. And I’m not talking about it purely from a wages point of view but a productivity point of view. Your kidding yourselves if ya think they could get the Irish to do it, as a nation developing over the years we’ve been garnering a lazier and lazier streak for physical work (which in itself is not a bad thing) but unfortunately some work is still required. I see it myself workin in construction, good labourers are just not around any more. Too many distractions with phones etc. IMO the only dodgy part of this story is that they’re coming in when we are supposedly in lockdown but if they are taking the necessary precautions then best a luck to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

:confused:

Were they hoping to go and pick the strawberries?

Absolutely vile stuff. Will be boycotting keelings from now on.

My local SuperValu sells keelings and also their own brand. Gonna ask them who they buy their own brand strawberries from. Won’t be buying keelings anyway. This is business suicide.

DONT BLAME THE STRAWBERRY!

Can't you see that sitting on your arse getting 350 a week is adding to the tax burden?
    Get work were you can makes for good well being, and a lesser tax burden
    If Keelings had their 200 pickers made up of hairdressers, beauticians office staff and so on the fruit would be rotten and the company would be broke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's not just Ireland.
    Eastern Europeans to be flown in to pick fruit and veg: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52293061
    Coronavirus: Farmer says fruit picker shortage could be 'devastating': https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-52109351

"One reason overseas workers are recruited for these picking roles is that farmers require temporary, flexible workers who will move around the country following the crops."
    "It is often difficult for local people to fill these roles as they are extremely busy for a short space of time - for example, two months to pick apples - with no work for the rest of the year"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In reality we shouldn't be growing fruit here commercially, it's unviable with our wage structure and living expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

That's some leap.

Not to a dickhead it's not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

My local SuperValu sells keelings and also their own brand. Gonna ask them who they buy their own brand strawberries from. Won’t be buying keelings anyway. This is business suicide.

DONT BLAME THE STRAWBERRY!

Dont cod yourself. Probably picked by migrants somewhere in Europe. Own brand stuff is as cheap or cheaper than branded, hardly picked by our fine strapping Irish people with college degrees and Ph D's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

You do realise Keelings is no longer just a little farm at the back of the airport right?? It's a massive international organisation. Almost ALL fruit and veg sold in this country, both imported and home grown, passes through Keelings.
    ted1 wrote: »
    They wont be paying more than €350 a week. So...
    Another who hasn't a clue what their talking about. There's pickers in Keelings so fast and efficient they make several hundred PER DAY. As I said already, these are numpty's flown in because they're cheap. They're flown in because they're really really productive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Keelings quaking in their boots at the thought of a boards boycott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Most Irish people would be too up their own holes to work picking fruit. The usual "coming in here takin our jobs and wimmin" by those who wouldnt get off their bums to save themselves from a house fire.

If Keelings had their 200 pickers made up of hairdressers, beauticians office staff and so on the fruit would be rotten and the company would be broke
    Go play some video games and be that burden so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

If i have to pick friut so be it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's been common for years across the UK & Ireland that Eastern Europeans fly in for fruit picking season. The main reason being the locals don't want that type of work.

I don't get the logic here. The same people that were panic buying bogroll a couple of weeks ago now think we should leave food to rot in the fields.

Guess what folks. If we stop picking/harvesting/delivering, then the sh** will really hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Everyone cooked up at home with all that pent up energy, taking it all out on a fruit company doing something they've done for years at this time of year.

I'd be surprised if you can find anyone fresh out of work and on the Covid payment willing to go pick that fruit for the money instead.

The well-being of our country card won't work either, they're to be self isolated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement