Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Boxer breed considered a strain of dangerous breeds?

• 17-04-2020 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I'm just looking at the legislation on banned dogs in ireland. It's my first time owning a boxer.

American Pit Bull TerrierEnglish Bull TerrierStaffordshire Bull TerrierBull MastiffDobermann PinscherRottweilerGerman Shepherd (Alsatian)Rhodesian RidgebackJapanese AkitaJapanese TosaBan dog (a so called ban dog is a cross of any of the above breeds mentioned or any strain of the above dogs listed)

Does a boxer fall into the category of "any strain of the above dogs listed)"?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm just looking at the legislation on banned dogs in ireland. It's my first time owning a boxer.

American Pit Bull TerrierEnglish Bull TerrierStaffordshire Bull TerrierBull MastiffDobermann PinscherRottweilerGerman Shepherd (Alsatian)Rhodesian RidgebackJapanese AkitaJapanese TosaBan dog (a so called ban dog is a cross of any of the above breeds mentioned or any strain of the above dogs listed)

Thank you

No, even though they have 'the look'

We have 2 at the moment and have had 3 in total, they are complete idiots, our elder one Brodi is probably the best dog we've ever had. Pippy is an idiot, but her and our 3yr old dote on each other, they are both constantly getting into trouble, the things they do to each other :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Nope but from my experience around them they can be aggressive and have so much energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nope but from my experience around them they can be aggressive and have so much energy.

Disagree with that, any dog can be aggressive, the 3 we've had have only ever shown any type of aggression when somebody has knocked on the door, then when they see who it is they just go back to what they were doing. They're also 2 of the laziest beats around, but some boxers do have a lot of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

They have never been on the list of banned breeds in public parks.
    Had two for many years. 13 years to be precise.
    They had a litter of five. We had some of them back as adult dogs.
    We have both dogs buried in the garden, recently Aug 2019. Heartbroken on both their deaths.
    A beautiful breed, full of love and energy and kindness around young kids.
    And I think, like kids, it's how they are reared, especially that they are not on any banned lists.
    They are animals though and need a pack leader, YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭The Darkroom

Thanks for the responses. The reason I asked is because I live in social housing and they say that the banned dogs above are not permitted so I was worried. I'm now relieved that this is not the case at all, and they're not considered to be in that restricted list.

I got the dog as an 8 week pup, because our previous springer spaniel bit our my son in the face, and after the 3rd time of it happening in a four year period, on the advice of three different vets, we had to put him to sleep. He was a rescue dog.

This time I wanted to do things right and so went to a reputable breeder registered with the IKC. I got the boxer because of their playability with kids. I would never have guessed this looking at them, but apparently they really are a family dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There are no banned breeds in this country OP. What you have referred to above is the restricted breeds list. There are extra restrictions on having these breeds in public. It is a load of tosh though to be honest. A piece of knee-jerk legislation that only serves to vilify the breeds on the list and make them glamorous to scumbag types.

Any breed that is considered a breed in its own right is not considered a strain of any breed that is on the list. Boxers are not a restricted breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There are no banned breeds in this country OP. What you have referred to above is the restricted breeds list. There are extra restrictions on having these breeds in public. It is a load of tosh though to be honest. A piece of knee-jerk legislation that only serves to vilify the breeds on the list and make them glamorous to scumbag types.

Any breed that is considered a breed in its own right is not considered a strain of any breed that is on the list. Boxers are not a restricted breed.

Some council and housing associations do have a list of banned dogs as in banned from keeping them in their properties, in many cases its longer and more comprehensive than the actual restricted breeds list.
    I know this as a friend had issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thank you

Boxers are beautiful dogs. Had two growing up and my wife had one and was very gentle with our kids.

Advertisement