Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Thread for those who are in Lockdown completely alone, i.e. Nobody else with you

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,817 ✭✭✭billyhead

I've been living on my own the past 15 years. I am used to it now. I like my own space. I have been wfh since March. The key is to have a routine every day i.e exercise, work, read more exercise, house chores or gardening if needed, bit of TV etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Missed this thread previously also.

I've lived alone for about 10 years and absolutely loved it until Covid19 broke out.

I work from home all week and keep my contacts low, although this is probably as much to do with the fact there are less social outlets/opportunities than a strict choice. I miss family who I've only seen twice since March for a number of reasons.

I miss my social life a lot if I'm honest, multiple holidays & weekend breaks cancelled this year, numerous tickets to shows, concerts, matches refunded. I miss just going to a few drinks or a bit to eat with people after work etc.

I'm craving fun, excitement, adrenaline, crowds, the craic in a pub, atmosphere at a gig, the roar of Croke park.

The fact I'm not supposed to have one person call over or vice versa really sucks, especially at this time of year. I don't fancy shivering at a socially distanced picnic or glued to the patio heater in a beer garden etc, friends used to callovervat the wkend and vice versa which will obvious change now. Find it hard to reconcile how I can meet 14 others in a beer garden or play a gaa match with 29 others let one visitor is too much.

Keeping myself occupied is ok, work, out for a run, dinner, few phone calls, reading, netflix etc

Had just started seeing someone new before covid might have fizzled out anyway but covid fairly killed it off. As a single person, you do wonder when the next opportunity to met someone will come from but c'est is vie.

All that said, I think it's just a case of dealing with it and getting on with it. I'd prefer not to catch covid but think my chances of survival are pretty good but I really don't want to be part of it spreading or making someone else sick.

So far no family or friends have been ill with it and if I come out of Covid the other end having lost no one close, then the boredom will be worth it. I also appreciate that I'm luckier than a lot in that I still have my job and my initial pay cut has been restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

In fantastic form myself. Lucky enough to stíl have a job and still meet friends once or twice a week. Family that love me, Reading a few good books, and smoking a spliff every other night after sex. Very optimistic about the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

tjdaly wrote: »
    ...every other night after sex...

You do that alone? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BUMP for level 5.

We have been absolutely fvcked over by these regulations.

Ireland is not a land of cosy families any more, it's like most modern societies - atomised so there is now a huge unseen cohort which has been cut out of wider Ireland for the next six weeks.
    You can form a support bubble if:

you live alone with children under the age of 18,
    you live alone and have mental health challenges,
    you share parenting or custody arrangements,
    you live with a partner who has dementia and needs full-time care, or you live by yourself and have a carer or carers who support you.

How many of us fall into any of the above? Not many I'll guess. Certainly many 10s of thousands do not. Our only hope is either still going to work or meeting someone we know in a windy carpark!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

I think mental health challenges is a very broad term. It doesn't have to be serious mental illness to come under that in my opinion.

Social isolation is being catered for with that. "To support those who risk isolation, a 'social bubble' will apply"

Advertisement