Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL angle grinder is dangerous [when used backwards]

Options
  • 17-04-2020 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

LIDL angle grinder is dangerous and should not be sold.
    The rotation of the disk is wrong, it's anit-clockwise, and sends sparks forwards up into the air and not backwards as it should.

When it 'Bites' into whatever your cutting it comes backwards into your body.

I'm going to get a refund now, and cannot recommend this grinder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Should've gotten a Hilti!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

clivej wrote: »
    The rotation of the disk is wrong, it's anit-clockwise, and sends sparks forwards up into the air and not backwards as it should.

Link or picture pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Can you not just turn it over and swap hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

What were you doing with it cutting down your double barreled shotgun ready for a bank raid? :D

If it goes the wrong way around for the way you approach the work you move the guard over to the other side and use the opposite side of the disk :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Are you left handed?

mike_ie wrote: »
    Are you left handed?

That wouldn't matter the tool can be used left or right handed and in the picture above its being used left handed.

Are you left handed?

I now see the photo shows it being held Left Handed.

I would use it right handed, right hand on the power trigger, left hand on the handle as shown. Rotation sends sparks up, mot down and throws the grinder back into your body if the grinder Bites.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    That wouldn't matter the tool can be used left or right handed and in the picture above its being used left handed.

It would if the OP was cutting down on work, depending on how he had set it up.

What were you doing with it cutting down your double barreled shotgun ready for a bank raid? :D

If it goes the wrong way around for the way you approach the work you move the guard over to the other side and use the opposite side of the disk :rolleyes:

Try cutting a vertical cut, right handed. The handle can only fit one way, and held in your left hand.
    The sparks should go down not up

• Advertisement

It would if the OP was cutting down on work, depending on how he had set it up.

This is the point it depends how he sets the work up but Lidl won't know that when they put the grinder in the box.

Also cutting/grinding with the front of the disk as shown in the picture is to be discouraged as it gives you the least control. Ideally cut/grind with the side of the disk exposed.

by front of disk I mean if the grinder is at 6 o'clock the front of the disk is at 12.

Out of curiosity, what way do you have to turn the nut in the centre spindle that keeps the disc in place? If the angle grinder is rotating in the *right* direction, the direction of rotation should be such that it tightens onto the centre nut.

This is the point it depends how he sets the work up but Lidl won't know that when they put the grinder in the box.

Also cutting/grinding with the front of the disk as shown in the picture is to be discouraged as it gives you the least control. Ideally cut/grind with the side of the disk exposed.

by front of disk I mean if the grinder is at 6 o'clock the front of the disk is at 12.

OK I ask you this.

When looking at the disk what way should the rotation of the disk be??

This was anti-clockwise.

OK I ask you this.

When looking at the disk what way should the rotation of the disk be??

This was anti-clockwise.

From above it should but clockwise but I'd have to double check that.

From looking at the locking nut it would be anti clockwise but again I'd double check to be sure.

Edit> Strangely enough I have one under my desk and above is correct.

Out of curiosity, what way do you have to turn the nut in the centre spindle that keeps the disc in place? If the angle grinder is rotating in the *right* direction, the direction of rotation should be such that it tightens onto the centre nut.

It was clockwise to put the disk nut on, but the disk rotation was anti-clockwise.

It was clockwise to put the disk nut on, but the disk rotation was anti-clockwise.

If thats the direction looking at the nut then thats correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

There should be an arrow on the disc. Is this the direction the disc is turning?

Another thing is if it's turning the 'wrong' way, it should loosen the disc. Is this happening?

pablo128 wrote: »
    There should be an arrow on the disc. Is this the direction the disc is turning?

Another thing is if it's turning the 'wrong' way, it should loosen the disc. Is this happening?

I didn't use long enough to find out 'cos I took it back.
    Made sure it was labeled as broken so it wouldn't go back for sale.

Then that sounds correct. Running the grinder would tighten the nut on the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Did you contact lidl and explain this to them ? What did they say ? Did you raise the issue if the safety of the device with them ?

I am sure if you are right, the product should and would be withdrawn from sale and recalled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Looking at the front of the disc as if fitting it, it turns anti-clockwise on my non Lidl one.

I don't think the Lidl publicity picture helps much, I've noticed many of them show tools being badly used.

That position for the attachable handle is rarely used like that shown most of the time the handle would be in one of the locations at 90 degrees to that which would give you much more control and the sparks would go either towards or away from you depending which side of the disk you were using.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Unscrew the handle and screw it onto the other side.

hi5 wrote: »

Maybe he has it set up like the picture :D

Did you contact lidl and explain this to them ? What did they say ? Did you raise the issue if the safety of the device with them ?

I am sure if you are right, the product should and would be withdrawn from sale and recalled.

YES I Did.

Told the first manager in LIDL (she didn't show any interest), Informed the checkout lady who was concerned and then another manager came out and she took details.

I sent an Email to LIDL's contact page on their website and the same text on their FB page.

Got a reply to the Email saying they would investigate.

hi5 wrote: »
    Maybe he has it set up like the picture :D

Only one way to screw in the handle when cutting using the grind in the vertical position, not with the handle as shown in the photo, but in the back opposite the disk.

Only one way to screw in the handle when cutting using the grind in the vertical position, not with the handle as shown in the photo, but in the back opposite the disk.

I don't understand you? afaik that tool has three locations for the handle? If it doesn't that may be the problem. The disk is going the correct way around same as all other angle grinders (but someone will surely know of an exception).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The disc should be spinning anti clockwise but looking at the photo the handle should be in the hole on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Holding the grinder in your right hand and the handle with your left.
    Approach the work and put the front part of the disc against the work the disc will be spinning clockwise as you look down at the grinder.
    If you invert and unplug the grinder as you would to change the disc it will be rotating anticlockwise.

The direction you approach the work is key if sparks are falling where they are not wanted.
    The handle is reversible left/right for that reason.

• Advertisement

I don't understand you? afaik that tool has three locations for the handle? If it doesn't that may be the problem. The disk is going the correct way around same as all other angle grinders (but someone will surely know of an exception).

Correct.

Where would you put the handle if cutting vertical? Left, right, or in the middle as I did.

Handle goes out to the left of the grinder (the back hole), disk to the right, right hand on the trigger. Sparks fly upwards, when the disk 'Bites' the grinder goes down into your body.

It's not like I've never used these machines before, as well as con saws, I am a tradesman. So I have some knowledge of how to use these machines work.

Feck it I'll go get another and see if it's the same.

Advertisement