Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL angle grinder is dangerous [when used backwards]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

clivej wrote: »
    Handle goes out to the left of the grinder (the back hole), disk to the right, right hand on the trigger. Sparks fly upwards, when the disk 'Bites' the grinder goes down into your body.

I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but I do think you are using it incorrectly. I'd have my left hand on the trigger, right hand on the handle on *top* of the work, cutting downwards.

<edit>As shown at the 4:30 mark of this video:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cutting vertically I would fit the handle to the left of the grinder looking at it from above.
    Hold the handle vertically and feed the grinder into the work, dust will be ejected towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP, this sillyness has caused me to go out to my garage take my cordless and corded 4 inch grinders out of the drawers and then my 9 inch ginder out of the drawer power them all up and watch them spin ANTI CLOCKWISE.

All of them are different brands to each other none of them are LIDL.

The lidl ones is spinning the correct way, you made me get up and check that and you made a fool of yourself in front of the LIDL manager.

happy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

listermint wrote: »
    OP, this sillyness has caused me to go out to my garage take my cordless and corded 4 inch grinders out of the drawers and then my 9 inch ginder out of the drawer power them all up and watch them spin ANTI CLOCKWISE.

All of them are different brands to each other none of them are LIDL.

The lidl ones is spinning the correct way, you made my get up and check that and you made a fool of yourself in front of the LIDL manager.

happy ?
    To the OP, you are in the wrong here and the above poster plus others have shown that.

You have also started this thread in bad faith and bad mouthed a product wrongly. The thread should be deleted. Hopefully you don't get prosecuted for slander.

pablo128 wrote: »
    You have also started this thread in bad faith and bad mouthed a product wrongly. The thread should be deleted. Hopefully you don't get prosecuted for slander.

Why are you quoting me with such crazyness....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

A lot of people in need of abrasive disc training, failing that elementary co-ordination training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

listermint wrote: »
    Why are you quoting me with such crazyness....

I've amended my post that quoted yours. Apologies for any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Back from LIDL now, with another grinder. This is how i have it set up.
    Disk is as shown lable to the inside, if put in the other way round it scrapes off the guard.
    According the the disk arrow it's going backwards

I have always used them with my right hand on the trigger, left hand on the handle, I'm right handed.

509923.jpg

509924.jpg

509925.jpg

20200417_111451.jpg

20200417_111507.jpg

20200417_113939.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

I have an older Parkside grinder and it's been fine. Turns the right way.

HOWEVER I bought some metal-cutting discs from Lidl and two of them blew to smithereens last year, after a few minute's work on regular angle iron and the second time on something pretty similar (i.e.; nothing heavy duty).

I still have a good mark on my hand from the first incident, where the disc fragment cut through my work glove (the fabric part). Thought it was just a one-in-a-million the first time, went back to a different (non-Lidl) disc later and finished the job the next day.

Second incident was a good while later, decided to give Lidl discs the benefit of the doubt - blew up after very light work, no bodging, no twisting etc. - hit me smack in the heart. Luckily, the fragment hit me flat on its side - got some fright. Imagined what could have happened if it hit sharp-side-on.

Threw them out, will never buy again. Sticking to good quality discs from now on. Be warned, folks.

As with a chainsaw the saw pulls into the wood the bottom of the blade come towards you pulling the saw away from you.

The disk should be rotating soas it pulls away from you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

clivej wrote:

509925.jpg

I'm left handed, but for reasons being made obvious by this thread, use certain tools (angle grinder being one) right handed.

The way you're holding it is back to front IMO, for a vertical cut. Should be left hand on the trigger, right hand on the handle to give you a LOT more control over the cut, particularly with a 9" grinder. In addition, I'd have the handle in the top hole (the one you can see in the photo) as opposed to at the side, as shown here.

<edit>Like so:

Electric-Powered-Angle-Grinder-1024x663.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Can you post up pic showing how the disc scrapes off the guard if you flip it.

Would you not hold it with right hand on handle, thats where you need more control and so strong hand.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you are right handed, hold the grinder in your left hand, and control the handle with your right, at the top of the grinder (as in that video)

OP, your using it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doesn’t the photo above show the blade has an arrow pointing anti clockwise.
    We use this what seems to be exact model and have never had any issue with it. The guard rotates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

why is this posted here ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

As with a chainsaw the saw pulls into the wood the bottom of the blade come towards you pulling the saw away from you.

The disk should be rotating soas it pulls away from you

You should be pulled towards the work when cutting, thats the safest. Cut on the other side when its pushing (by holding it left handed) is far less safe, you have less control and the disc can come flying back at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 partiboi69

you need to re configure your set up, just put the handle on the side and flip the guard 180 degrees, thank me later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Don't know how I've ended up here but I also am right handed and use grinder with left hand on trigger.
    Have 2 grinders and both operate in this manner turning anti clockwise when looking at the locking nut.

Youve the guard set up wrong side, you've the blade back to front.

Its meant to rotate ANTI CLOCKWISE

Its that simple....You have not discovered some new world of grinder setup.

OK I'll admit I'm worng 'cos I bought a Left handed grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Keep a look out because Lldl are also notorious for selling left handed screwdrivers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

You should probably spend a bit of money on doing a grinder course so you don't do yourself an injury as you don't seem to understand how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 partiboi69

is this a wind up? have you lost your mind op? just flip the handle and guard to suit what ever you are cutting?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

All power tools are dangerous if you don't know how to use them properly. You can at least mitigate some risk by wearing full face protection, hearing protection and gloves.
    Maybe consider taking a training course if you want to learn how to use an angle grinder correctly. You say you're a tradesman? I wouldn't be too impressed if a tradesman showed up with parkside tools. I wouldn't consider them adequate for professional use.

Also, the thread title should be updated to reflect the outcome of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

All power tools are dangerous if you don't know how to use them properly. You can at least mitigate some risk by wearing full face protection, hearing protection and gloves.
    Maybe consider taking a training course if you want to learn how to use an angle grinder correctly. You say you're a tradesman? I wouldn't be too impressed if a tradesman showed up with parkside tools. I wouldn't consider them adequate for professional use.

Also, the thread title should be updated to reflect the outcome of this thread.

Can I please be the one to come up with a new thread title?
    Please?

Can I please be the one to come up with a new thread title?
    Please?

You better be quick, I've a good one in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

You can swap the handle and the gaurd so the blade and the grinder will pull away from you

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've updated the thread title to what I think is the current status...

L1011 wrote: »
    I've updated the thread title to what I think is the current status...

simpler option: angle grinder customer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

There's no need for the word LIDL in the title, all angle grinders are the same.

Advertisement