Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentiometer issue - can I bypass?

Options
  • 17-04-2020 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, daughter asked me to look at this. The control which typically works as both a dimmer and on off switch has failed). The internals are screwed. Any way to bypass and just have it In a permanently On state while plugged in?

509906.jpeg

509907.jpeg

509909.jpeg

Comments

Is it the dimmer or the switch that is'nt working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

It's a dual function pot: dimmer and integrate on/off. It's dead. The internals are mashed. If I can bypass, that'd be fine. Daughter says that it was always used on full brightness so zero dimmer is non-issue...just need to establish if the red/black supply wires from the power point on the pcb can be wired directly to the connections where the pot was connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Are you saying the PCB is damaged? or just the pot/switch?

What type of lamp is is? Photos don't really give enough detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Are you saying the PCB is damaged? or just the pot/switch?

What type of lamp is is? Photos don't really give enough detail.

It's cheapo lamp that is used for photo shooting. Camera mount integrated inside the lamp enclosure. In the end, I just bridged centre and right pot connector on the PCB and joined up the power supply switched wires from the underside of the pot after I removed it. It's just powered now by the mains socket switch. I'll order a pot online and do it right but shes happy out for now as it's lit :)

Advertisement