Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare workers perks

Options
  • 17-04-2020 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Think we should start a thread on this as we never get anything free ! Fair play to all of ye and look after yourselves

• No need to queue for Lidl or Aldi. Show your hospital ID and they'll let you skip the queue. They've let me go right in as soon as I arrived in both shops !

• 50% off with My Taxi to your home from work or to work with valid hospital ID.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

Think we should start a thread on this as we never get anything free ! Fair play to all of ye and look after yourselves

• No need to queue for Lidl or Aldi. Show your hospital ID and they'll let you skip the queue. They've let me go right in as soon as I arrived in both shops !

• 50% off with My Taxi to your home from work or to work with valid hospital ID.

Our local Tesco have priority shopping times for healthcare workers 0700 - 0900 Tuesday and Thursday.

Meanwhile in Spain, some healthcare and other workers have been intimidated out of their homes: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-spain-cases-deaths-health-workers-leave-home-covid-19-a9468436.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While that's a nice gesture by My Taxi, I'd personally avoid taking taxis like the very plague(no pun) during this crisis. From studies into the SARS outbreak they found taxis a notable infection point. Case-patients were more likely than controls to have chronic medical conditions or to have visited fever clinics (clinics at which possible SARS patients were separated from other patients), eaten outside the home, or taken taxis frequently. Which makes good and obvious sense. Sharing an enclosed small space for likely well over 15 minutes a couple of feet away from a complete stranger whose health status you have no clue of is kinda happy days for infectious agents and about as opposite from social distancing as you can make it. They also noted the use of masks was strongly protective, so if you do have to take a taxi I'd be wearing one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It'll be a long time before I resume taking any form of public transport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye, it's yet another eh Wut? about this whole response to this thing. We're told to socially distance by two metres, yet taxis are still operating. Unless you hire a stretched skanger hen's night limo with all the windows down it's about as far from socially distancing as you can get.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, it's yet another eh Wut? about this whole response to this thing. We're told to socially distance by two metres, yet taxis are still operating. Unless you hire a stretched skanger hen's night limo with all the windows down it's about as far from socially distancing as you can get.

And even if you're in the back well away from the driver, there's the problem of maintaining social distancing between you and the skanger hens... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’ve tried getting a taxi through it a few times and nobody ever took the job. I emailed FreeNow asking about it and had a search on Twitter.

Turns out, FreeNow aren’t subsidising the cost of the journey. The drivers themselves are agreeing to do it for the reduced price and so it can be hard to get a taxi at the lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

While that's a nice gesture by My Taxi, I'd personally avoid taking taxis like the very plague(no pun) during this crisis. From studies into the SARS outbreak they found taxis a notable infection point. Case-patients were more likely than controls to have chronic medical conditions or to have visited fever clinics (clinics at which possible SARS patients were separated from other patients), eaten outside the home, or taken taxis frequently. Which makes good and obvious sense. Sharing an enclosed small space for likely well over 15 minutes a couple of feet away from a complete stranger whose health status you have no clue of is kinda happy days for infectious agents and about as opposite from social distancing as you can make it. They also noted the use of masks was strongly protective, so if you do have to take a taxi I'd be wearing one.

I was sick but I'm fine now so I'm not wearing a mask only unless I'm with a patient who I'm required to wear a mask for.
    The taxi had a big plastic barrier behind his chairs it was like a London taxi that way and it was grand ! I have to get taxis sometimes.

I’ve tried getting a taxi through it a few times and nobody ever took the job. I emailed FreeNow asking about it and had a search on Twitter.

Turns out, FreeNow aren’t subsidising the cost of the journey. The drivers themselves are agreeing to do it for the reduced price and so it can be hard to get a taxi at the lower price.

What I didn't know this ?? That's awful ! I thought free now would be paying for it ! I won't be getting a reduced one if I need one again that's terrible

Haha
    I don't drive if I get called into work in the middle of the night it's the only option ! I would have took a picture of his car but inappropriate it had a big plaster barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I find all these gestures so kind and heartwarming but couldn't personally see myself taking advantage of them! I'd be so embarrassed to skip a queue and honestly I'm very lucky to still be getting my full wage with plenty of (too much) overtime available. I don't want to take from business who are suffering financially! I imagine they benefit a lot of Frontline staff in different circumstances to me though, with families, high mortgages etc and that's fantastic!

Back when Supermacs was still open, I was buying a meal when one of the staff recognised me as a nurse and insisted that the meals were free for healthcare workers but I never would have asked for it and tried unsuccesfully to protest. Very moved by it none the less!

It's so so lovely to see these offers, for myself I feel like I appreciate the thought behind them more than anything else!

The free food deliveries from local companies to work is also amazing, really brightens up your day when someone drops in a bag of hot food! A few times it's made me stop and take a quick break whereas otherwise I would have skipped it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

storker wrote: »
    It'll be a long time before I resume taking any form of public transport.

Arguably less at risk of catching anything (covid or usual cold/flu etc) by using public transport than ever before. They are empty (even during peak hours when I commute to/from work) and the majority of seats on board are blocked off due to social distancing measures, so nobody will be sitting anywhere near you even if someone does get on. In Dublin, the buses are now cleaned during service as well by mobile cleaning crews.

It's heaven at the moment compared to the **** show of normal times. No traffic, no idiots blocking bus lanes, nobody squeezed in beside you and nobody talking on or listening to music on speakerphone. My 70+ minute journey now takes 25 mins from front door to my desk!

Kerry25x wrote: »
    I find all these gestures so kind and heartwarming but couldn't personally see myself taking advantage of them! I'd be so embarrassed to skip a queue and honestly I'm very lucky to still be getting my full wage with plenty of (too much) overtime available. I don't want to take from business who are suffering financially! I imagine they benefit a lot of Frontline staff in different circumstances to me though, with families, high mortgages etc and that's fantastic!

Back when Supermacs was still open, I was buying a meal when one of the staff recognised me as a nurse and insisted that the meals were free for healthcare workers but I never would have asked for it and tried unsuccesfully to protest. Very moved by it none the less!

It's so so lovely to see these offers, for myself I feel like I appreciate the thought behind them more than anything else!

The free food deliveries from local companies to work is also amazing, really brightens up your day when someone drops in a bag of hot food! A few times it's made me stop and take a quick break whereas otherwise I would have skipped it!

I think we're all just excited cause we don't get bonuses or anything for free ever.

Why would you be embarrassed to skip a queue ?? Don't be. Frontline workers deserve to be able to do that plus most of us are only doing it out of exhaustion or becsuse we're on the way to work ! I didn't know about the taxis so won't be doing that again but free tea coffee pizza sure

Arguably less at risk of catching anything (covid or usual cold/flu etc) by using public transport than ever before. They are empty (even during peak hours when I commute to/from work) and the majority of seats on board are blocked off due to social distancing measures, so nobody will be sitting anywhere near you even if someone does get on. In Dublin, the buses are now cleaned during service as well by mobile cleaning crews.

It's heaven at the moment compared to the **** show of normal times. No traffic, no idiots blocking bus lanes, nobody squeezed in beside you and nobody talking on or listening to music on speakerphone. My 70+ minute journey now takes 25 mins from front door to my desk!

I still don't get what's going to happen when restaurants etc open and the dart bus or luas will be busy .. we still need to keep distancing what are we gonna do ? I'm 12 stops on the dart to the hospital:/

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I think we're all just excited cause we don't get bonuses or anything for free ever.

Why would you be embarrassed to skip a queue ?? Don't be. Frontline workers deserve to be able to do that plus most of us are only doing it out of exhaustion or becsuse we're on the way to work ! I didn't know about the taxis so won't be doing that again but free tea coffee pizza sure

You're probably right but I'm just too self conscious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

storker wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Spain, some healthcare and other workers have been intimidated out of their homes: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-spain-cases-deaths-health-workers-leave-home-covid-19-a9468436.html

and in another part of Spain a landlord offers an apartment ( close to the main hospital for the area ) for free for 2 months and then at what looks like a modest rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

While a lot of companies are trying to support healthworkers at the moment, while is admirable, no amount of perks can ever compensation for the depth of gratitude we owe people who have put themselves at risk for the benefit of the rest of us.

I have nothing but admiration for them at this time.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    You're probably right but I'm just too self conscious!

Be confident all you do is show your hospital ID

While a lot of companies are trying to support healthworkers at the moment, while is admirable, no amount of perks can ever compensation for the depth of gratitude we owe people who have put themselves at risk for the benefit of the rest of us.

I have nothing but admiration for them at this time.

Thanks. Our CEO is emailing us daily with praise and it's nice getting it! Hospital is insane atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Best way to thank health workers is to give them a 3 year tax break.

Advertisement