Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to contact a specific department, your systems really are appallingly BAD.

Options
  • 17-04-2020 11:09am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right now, you as an organisation have confirmed just how BAD you are at even the basics. A friend of mine is working in the USA, and can't get home for a while.

He had a letter about an account that has had no movement for 6 months and has a small overdraft, the letter took nearly 2 weeks to arrive and there's now less than a week to deal with it. He has asked me to make a lodgement on his behalf. 

Letter has a 1850 number on it, and says "contact us on this number to let us know what you want to do next. do that, and it says press 1, so I do. 

All I get is a voice message, and no chance to do as stated, Let us know what you want to do, I can repeat the message that doesn't tell me what to to, or hang up. Really impressive! NOT.

Then I look more closely at the letter, as I don't want to go to the local branch to make the lodgement, due to Covid issues, and guess what, there's not enough information in the letter to allow me to make a lodgement, no Branch information, no IBAN, to effectively, no way to get enough information to do an electronic transfer.

and yes, I am shouting this!

WHEN ARE BANK OF IRELAND GOING TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER ON THE BASICS?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Why dont you ask your friend for his iban and just transfer a few euro in online?

Or why doesn't your friend just log into his online banking and make a transaction himself?

Could your friend not provide this information?
    The bank are unlikely to be volunteering information to a stranger.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Why dont you ask your friend for his iban and just transfer a few euro in online?

Or why doesn't your friend just log into his online banking and make a transaction himself?
    Because he's in the USA, and by the time I get the information, another day is gone, and there's not much time left to do this, due to the delay in sending out the original letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Because he's in the USA, and by the time I get the information, another day is gone, and there's not much time left to do this, due to the delay in sending out the original letter.

I'm not understanding the another day gone piece, unless ye are corresponding by post or something equally as daft.

Can he not just do a transfer himself online? Seems very odd that he needs your assistance to make a lodgement. Are you sure you arent being scammed?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Very sure it's genuine, and I am not going into the reasons with you how I know.  The account concerned is not set up for on line banking.

To set up a new payment or transfer instruction on 365 online needs a text verification, getting that while abroad is a lottery, which may not work.
    There's a time difference between here and the west coast, by the time he gets the message, and responds, and gets the information back to me, the branch system will be closed for immediate transfers until Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Irish Steve,

Thanks for reaching out to us here today on Boards.ie.

We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing difficulty getting through to us. In order to make a lodgement due ent, you would need to get his account details from him. We would be unable to provide these details to a third party.

This transfer can be made by himself or yourself online using his American account, or by you online. If you have a Bank of Ireland or AIB Debit Card you can also make this lodgement at a branch external ATM.

We hope this information helps.

Many thanks,
    Richard

Advertisement