Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Gotta say started Bosch on Amazon recently aswell and have flown through it excellent series and well made and works well on the 10 episode set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

sioda wrote: »
    Gotta say started Bosch on Amazon recently aswell and have flown through it excellent series and well made and works well on the 10 episode set up

It's still a "maybe" for me to try

What TV show would you compare it to standards wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

NYPD blue, and to a lesser violence sense the shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

I started watching Hollywood, few people had said it was awful so wasn't expecting much but it's actually quite good - it's a bit silly and certainly not a grounded or gritty drama, but I really love the cast and the design of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

sioda wrote: »
    NYPD blue, and to a lesser violence sense the shield.

Unfortunately Bosch is nothing like The Shield. It is just another run of the mill cop series that is good for the first 4 seasons but goes downhill with seasons 5 and 6.

Shows that I would recommend are:
    The Wire
    Fargo
    The Deuce
    Succession
    Boardwalk Empire
    The Newsroom
    The Shield
    Better Call Saul
    Breaking Bad
    Snowfall

Of the Nordic ones I liked The Bridge and The Killing but for me Borgen a
    Danish political drama is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

For anyone that enjoyed Gomorrah, seek out Romanza Criminale. Excellent Italian gangster series set in the 80s. It's a few years old but worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gangs of London is excellent but some scenes are a tough watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

lawred2 wrote: »
    Gangs of London is excellent but some scenes are a tough watch

Apart from a few good scenes here and there, i though this was pretty awful. Poor writing, some poor acting and characters you couldn't give a sh1t about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm sure many have seen it already but The Last Dance is one of the best, if not the best documentary series I've ever seen. So many characters, so many hugely cinematic moments, it's funny, tragic, uplifting. Soundtrack is phenomenal, really nails the 90's era. 10 outa 10 must watch, and I've never watched a basketball game in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

weemcd wrote: »
    I'm sure many have seen it already but The Last Dance is one of the best, if not the best documentary series I've ever seen. So many characters, so many hugely cinematic moments, it's funny, tragic, uplifting. Soundtrack is phenomenal, really nails the 90's era. 10 outa 10 must watch, and I've never watched a basketball game in my life.

Finished it last night, great watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Finished it last night, great watch!

Just finished it tonight myself, you talk about a rollercoaster, that Bulls team, so many characters. You couldn't write better; Rodman in particular, was insane. Pippen the quiet man, Phil Jackson the mentor, Jerry Krause the villain. Oh and some guy called Miachel Jordan. That's the thing about the best sports docs, the drama is REAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

weemcd wrote: »

I'm halfway through a second watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Apart from a few good scenes here and there, i though this was pretty awful. Poor writing, some poor acting and characters you couldn't give a sh1t about.

I’m glad I’m not the only one....a major bore to watch imo !,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Looking forward to S2 of My Brilliant Friend starting tomorrow night on Sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

Zak Flaps wrote: »

Yeah, have to agree. The first few episodes were good and some of the early action scenes are really entertaining but it turned into an edgy version of Hollyoaks by the last few.

It was like one guy did the first 6 episodes, then handed over a few notes to an intern and said "here, wrap this up....somehow".

I don't think I'd even bother with a 2nd season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

jake1970 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Bosch is nothing like The Shield. It is just another run of the mill cop series that is good for the first 4 seasons but goes downhill with seasons 5 and 6.

Shows that I would recommend are:
    The Wire
    Fargo
    The Deuce
    Succession
    Boardwalk Empire
    The Newsroom
    The Shield
    Better Call Saul
    Breaking Bad
    Snowfall

Of the Nordic ones I liked The Bridge and The Killing but for me Borgen a
    Danish political drama is excellent.

Great list. Not seen The Newsroom or Snowfall. Will put them on the to watch pile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Currently getting through Season 3 of F is for Family on Netflix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

Downton Abbey
    The Mentalist
    Don't know if they've been mentioned but two excellent series.
    Normal People if you didn't get a chance to watch recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Started Yellowstone last night, first episode was so so. Has anybody watched it? Worth sticking with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Started Yellowstone last night, first episode was so so. Has anybody watched it? Worth sticking with it?
    very good very depresssing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

Brilliant show I thought, worth giving it another few episodes before you give up on it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm watching Succession at the moment. Good show. Such a dysfunctional family.

scoobydude wrote: »
    Brilliant show I thought, worth giving it another few episodes before you give up on it imo

Three episodes in now and it’s one long tale of misery and misfortune so far but intriguing nonetheless I’ll probably finish it out

billyhead wrote: »
    I'm watching Succession at the moment. Good show. Such a dysfunctional family.

Watched that a while back it’s a really good show, brilliant characters and good storyline. I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

A few here that I have not seen mentioned yet that I have enjoyed:

Life (Brilliant):
    A former police officer returns to the force after having been wrongly imprisoned for years.
    IMDB:8.3
    Stars Damian Lewis from homeland and Sarah Shahi from person of interest
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0874936/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

Condor (Kinda like a tv version of The Fugitive were he is on the run for something he did not do and is trying to figure out who is behind the plot, very good):
    CONDOR follows CIA analyst Joe Turner who stumbles onto a plan that threatens the lives of millions.
    IMDB 7.8
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6510950/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

Hell on Wheels:
    The Civil War is past, but former Confederate soldier Cullen Bohannon can't put it behind him. Fresh are the memories of the death of his wife, killed at the hands of the Union soldiers, an act that sets him on a course of revenge.
    IMDB 8.3
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1699748/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Humans:
    In a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Synth' - a highly-developed robotic servant that's so similar to a real human it's transforming the way we live.
    IMDB 8.0
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4122068/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Happy (This one is nuts):
    An injured hitman befriends his kidnapped daughter's imaginary friend - a perky blue flying unicorn.
    IMDB 8.2
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2452242/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Limitless (based on the movie):
    An average twenty-eight-year-old man who gains the ability to use the full extent of his brain's capabilities is hired by the F.B.I. as a consultant.
    IMDB 7.7
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4422836/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Utopia:
    After a group of people, who meet online, discover a bizarre graphic novel which seems to hold mysterious answers, they find themselves being tracked down by a merciless organization known merely as 'The Network'.
    IMDB 8.4
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Automan wrote: »
    Utopia:
    After a group of people, who meet online, discover a bizarre graphic novel which seems to hold mysterious answers, they find themselves being tracked down by a merciless organization known merely as 'The Network'.
    IMDB 8.4
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Such a great show..

.. US remake from Amazon is out this year too: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_(upcoming_TV_series)

Good cast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Godless

A western show with an outlaw swearing revenge on his second in command who left him

Set mostly in a town with only women as the men were killed in a mining disaster

10 episodes

Michelle Dockery
    Jeff Daniels
    Jack O´Connell

I loved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Top boy is amazing if you like gritty U.K. drama.

Peep show is still one of the funniest but darkest modern U.K. comedies.

IT Crowd is hilarious from start to finish and quite underrated. Think father ted set in an office. We’ll Graham lineman did write it.

Toast of London is anarchic comedy at its best. Laughed hysterically at every single episode.

Uncle is funny sad and great songs.

Always sunny in Philadelphia is the best thing I have ever watched. Hilarious but deals with hard issues. Can’t describe how funny yet dark it is.

Curb your enthusiasm is up there with crazy funny. If you liked George from Seinfeld then the real life person he is based on is the writer and star of this. What is even better is there was no script.

Loved the ranch with Ashton kutcher. Americana and a funny drama based in rural Denver.

If you want crap but addictive then love at first sight is crazy. Basically a reality show where guys talk to possible suitors and propose without seeing them and follow them to see if they get married. Car crash tv but so addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

I think to be fair ShineOn7 has asked for suggestions about Tv/films to binge on ......but he reserves the right to like or not like stuff .... regardless of how many others recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Finished The Great last night. Such a fantastic show. Nicolas Hoult is a revelation in it. I really hope it gets a second season. Is Big Little Lies or Little Fires Everywhere worth watching? Also considering starting Ozark.

Advertisement