Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

gazzer wrote: »
    Finished The Great last night. Such a fantastic show. Nicolas Hoult is a revelation in it. I really hope it gets a second season. Is Big Little Lies or Little Fires Everywhere worth watching? Also considering starting Ozark.

Big Little Lies is brilliant. Much better and grittier than I had expected. Haven't seen the rest of the ones you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Finished The Great last night. Such a fantastic show. Nicolas Hoult is a revelation in it. I really hope it gets a second season. Is Big Little Lies or Little Fires Everywhere worth watching? Also considering starting Ozark.
    Ozark.. do Ozark..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Occupied and caliphate are both excellent- netflix. Subtitled , hope that's not an issue. Temple on skytv is really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Big Little Lies is brilliant. Much better and grittier than I had expected. Haven't seen the rest of the ones you mentioned.

So I watched the first two eps of Big Little Lies last night. Quality cast but I'm not really feeling it plot wise. For a 7 part show it is very slow moving. Does it get better?

Basq wrote: »
    Ozark.. do Ozark..

Will do. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

From reading the recommendations here, I started Unforgotten last night.

The first two episodes were absolutely dire. Does it get better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

sheroman01 wrote: »
    The first two episodes were absolutely dire. Does it get better?

Yes
    It’s a slow burner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Basq wrote: »
    Ozark.. do Ozark..

Trying hard to like it but it's just not engaging me so far, has all the right ingredients etc but...

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Well I finished Season 1 of Big Little Lies. Was very MEH. Last episode was very good though I had sussed out who the
    attacker
    was and
    who would die
    by episode 3. The show was very fond of endless shots of characters driving, staring out into the sea and flashbacks to running on the beach. Take all that out and the episodes would be about 20 minutes long :):)

Dont know if I will go back for Season 2.

Have watched the first 3 episodes of Ozark. It is really good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I finished Season 1 of Big Little Lies. Was very MEH. Last episode was very good though I had sussed out who the
    attacker
    was and
    who would die
    by episode 3. The show was very fond of endless shots of characters driving, staring out into the sea and flashbacks to running on the beach. Take all that out and the episodes would be about 20 minutes long :):)

Dont know if I will go back for Season 2.
    S2 is a bit drop-off in quality and feels entirely unnecessary so my advice would be do not bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Rewatched The Thick Of it in the last couple of weeks

Surely a strong contender for best British Comedy of all time?

Yes, I think it's better than Fawlty Towers. There, I said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I work in a role where there would be a very clearly defined group of people doing one role and then us in an admin role. It's so funny how much like The Thick of It it is. Fing and blinding at each other and then unbelievably polite to us. Reminds me of the scene with the cleaners everytime.

Love that show.

I work in a role where there would be a very clearly defined group of people doing one role and then us in an admin role. It's so funny how much like The Thick of It it is. Fing and blinding at each other and then unbelievably polite to us. Reminds me of the scene with the cleaners everytime.

Love that show.

The other group of people would be cursing at each other like Malcolm and then all nice to your team? (the Admin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The other group of people would be cursing at each other like Malcolm and then all nice to your team? (the Admin)

Yes, there's a very different culture when they're dealing with 'civilians'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

joeguevara wrote: »
    Always sunny in Philadelphia is the best thing I have ever watched. Hilarious but deals with hard issues. Can’t describe how funny yet dark it is.

Class stuff. Genius comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Have you seen Succession?
    If you like The Thick Of It, you'll like Succession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Started Yellowstone last night, first episode was so so. Has anybody watched it? Worth sticking with it?

This is one of the best things on TV right now

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Have you seen Succession?
    If you like The Thick Of It, you'll like Succession.

Yes I watched thanks to this thread and it's the best new show I've watched in at least 2 years

Of the Jesse Armstrong/Armando Iannucci stuff I still have to watch there's:
    • The last season or so of Veep
    • Peep Show. It never really grabbed me before after trying just one episode. I'll give it another go as it's supposed to be a classic
    • Avenue 5. Mixed reviews on RT but I see HBO have greenlit a second season and they seem to be quite fussy about what continues. So I'll try that as some stage too

King of them all though is The Thick Of It. Excellent writing and cast from start to finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Yes I watched thanks to this thread and it's the best new show I've watched in at least 2 years

• Peep Show. It never really grabbed me before after trying just one episode. I'll give it another go as it's supposed to be a classic
    • Avenue 5. Mixed reviews on RT but I see HBO have greenlit a second season and they seem to be quite fussy about what continues. So I'll try that as some stage too

King of them all though is The Thick Of It. Excellent writing and cast from start to finish

Yes The Thick Of It is superb and Succession was my favourite show I watched this year.

Peep show is wonderful too i think. Give it another chance. Some really hilarious moments throughout.
    For some reason, I've stayed away from Avenue 5. I think i'm afraid it'll be sh!te! I love Armando Iannucci.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Apart from a few good scenes here and there, i though this was pretty awful. Poor writing, some poor acting and characters you couldn't give a sh1t about.

Stuck it out to the end but yeah you proved right.

Some decent cinematography in a few scenes but ultimately all a bit fur coat and no knickers..

As for the "the investors" - cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Peep Show is one of the best shows ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭trashcan

bladespin wrote: »
    Trying hard to like it but it's just not engaging me so far, has all the right ingredients etc but...

Yeah, I watched the first two episodes, but I couldn't get past the feeling that some executive somewhere saw Breaking Bad, and said "Bring me a show like that." Maybe I'm doing it a disservice, but that was the vibe I got off it.

bladespin wrote: »

I've tried Ozark twice now and I still can't see what all the fuss is about, it's absolute shíte

Maybe the most over hyped show of recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Ive been watching season 11 of the Bill on youtube from around 1995. wasn't a bad show until they ruined it in later series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Ive been watching season 11 of the Bill on youtube from around 1995. wasn't a bad show until they ruined it in later series.

Fitting username! My favourite time was the don beech saga.

trashcan wrote: »
    Yeah, I watched the first two episodes, but I couldn't get past the feeling that some executive somewhere saw Breaking Bad, and said "Bring me a show like that." Maybe I'm doing it a disservice, but that was the vibe I got off it.

Speaking of BB i loved that show but better call saul is boring me to tears. I can go months between episodes.

fr336 wrote: »
    Speaking of BB i loved that show but better call saul is boring me to tears. I can go months between episodes.

Try it at a weekly pace, one a week for a few weeks

It's a superb show. The most recent season was up there with prime Breaking Bad

Try it at a weekly pace, one a week for a few weeks

It's a superb show. The most recent season was up there with prime Breaking Bad

I think one of my issues is there is understandably no walt or jessie lol.. I think has been my fave guest spot so far

You should maybe spoiler cover
    Hank's
    return in BCS ;)

You're up as far as the latest season? It can't be that bad then!

• Advertisement

You should maybe spoiler cover
    Hank's
    return in BCS ;)

You're up as far as the latest season? It can't be that bad then!

Edited but no spoiler as on touch site lol

Its not bad bad - great characters (though mainly from bb), seamless storylines, good writing, excellent cinematography, but...dull! The kim and bank story oh my god. I thought series 1-3 were pretty good, 4 is where it got tired for me.

Advertisement