Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭trashcan

fr336 wrote: »
    Speaking of BB i loved that show but better call saul is boring me to tears. I can go months between episodes.

I think it's every bit as good as BB. It's a very different show, slower paced alright, but I find it just as engaging. Kim gets a lot of flack but I like her character. Also liked the dynamic between Chuck and Jimmy. It's a pity they killed off Chuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I think
    Chuck's death
    should be Spoilered tbh. A few people who haven't seen Better Call Saul yet will be in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I think
    Chuck's death
    should be Spoilered tbh. A few people who haven't seen Better Call Saul yet will be in this thread

Have deleted my reply, went a bit off topic there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

OU812 wrote: »
    This is one of the best things on TV right now

Yeah I have watched it all, including the new season. Brilliant show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I’m not sure if I mentioned it but watched the two seasons of Brassic. Really funny and entertaining.

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    Always sunny in Philadelphia is the best thing I have ever watched. Hilarious but deals with hard issues. Can’t describe how funny yet dark it is.

Dennis and Charlie have to be two of the best two written and played characters in the Sitcom genre ever

tenor.gif?itemid=14680536

Just seen this on their Wiki
    The series' fourteenth season concluded in November 2019. The series was renewed for a fifteenth season in May 2020, which will make it the longest-running live-action comedy series in American television history.

What is the plan for TV show filming in general for 2020? I heard Rob Lowe on a podcast recently saying his show is back filming, albeit with limited rehearsals and extensive crew testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

Watched 2-3 episodes of Ozark about a year ago and got bored of it, couldn't take Jason Bateman, fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, blitz through 3 seasons of it, excellent show :D

KilOit wrote: »
    Watched 2-3 episodes of Ozark about a year ago and got bored of it, couldn't take Jason Bateman, fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, blitz through 3 seasons of it, excellent show :D

Hmmm, dare I give it a third and final go

There's not much else on my Netflix radar after my current rewatch of Line Of Duty

Hmmm, dare I give it a third and final go

There's not much else on my Netflix radar after my current rewatch of Line Of Duty

Have you tried Sons of Anarchy? Love it.

Also how to sell drugs online fast. Really enjoyed it.

Modern Family is amazing.

Dennis and Charlie have to be two of the best two written and played characters in the Sitcom genre ever

tenor.gif?itemid=14680536

Just seen this on their Wiki

What is the plan for TV show filming in general for 2020? I heard Rob Lowe on a podcast recently saying his show is back filming, albeit with limited rehearsals and extensive crew testing

Charlie and Frank are pretty much perfect characters and matured as a comedy duo in every season.

Dennis becomes a caricature of himself. He literally becomes more and more of a sociopath in every episode. In the end it just isn’t believable.

Mac, who is the shows creator and main writer just becomes a weak character. He really is a genius and does some crazy things (pile on weight, becomes ripped, learns to be an amazing ballet dancer for a 2 minute clip) but as a character has no redeeming features.

Dee is a legend.

I’d love a 15th season to make up for a poor 14th but honestly the characters (apart from Charlie and Frank) have nowhere to go. But as a sitcom, I don’t think anything will ever surpass its genius. It is provocative, dark, deep and fcucking hilarious. Without being kitch there is a learning moment in every episode.

• Advertisement

SOA - tried it but got distracted by better shows after 2 episodes

Modern Family - it's a classic, I haven't revisted it since the early seasons though

Sell Drugs Online Fast - I see it's in German? As crazy as it sounds, I'm not a fan of anything with constant subtitles :pac: I find you miss too much that's happening on the screen with them, like subtle looks actors are doing etc. I first noticed this when watching Inglorious B@stards

It's the same reason I haven't tried the highly acclaimed Money Heist yet

SOA - tried it but got distracted by better shows after 2 episodes

Modern Family - it's a classic, I haven't revisted it since the early seasons though

Sell Drugs Online Fast - I see it's in German? As crazy as it sounds, I'm not a fan of anything with constant subtitles :pac: I find you miss too much that's happening on the screen with them, like subtle looks actors are doing etc. I first noticed this when watching Inglorious B@stards

It's the same reason I haven't tried the highly acclaimed Money Heist yet

The dubbed first season is really good. English with a German accent. Second season is not as good as it’s dubbed in a cockney accent. Recommend the first season.

Absolutely love UNCLE. Funny drama about an uncle who becomes a babysitter for his geeky nephew. Loved every episode and each one has a cracking tune.

IT crowd is one of the most underrated comedies ever. Written by graham Linehan, it’s funny and anarchic in equal measure.

Top Boy (newest season is a riveting gritting London gangster drama. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The dubbed first season is really good. English with a German accent. Second season is not as good as it’s dubbed in a cockney accent. Recommend the first season.
    Your criteria of quality is based on the regional dialect used in dubbing? :confused:

FWIW - binged both seasons over the weekend, and loved it!

Basq wrote: »
    Your criteria of quality is based on the regional dialect used in dubbing? :confused:

FWIW - binged both seasons over the weekend, and loved it!

No, just couldn’t get into the characters as they had completely different accents in the second season.

No, just couldn’t get into the characters as they had completely different accents in the second season.

They used completely different voices for season 2?

That's mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sons of Anarchy isn't great. It has some great characters, storylines and moments, but overall there's too much wrong with it to ever make it great imo. Seasons 1, 2, 4 & 5 are pretty fantastic. Season 3 is only okay and that's only because the ending of the season is so fantastic. Seasons 6 & 7 are just awful and ends the show with a whimper rather than a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Yes I watched thanks to this thread and it's the best new show I've watched in at least 2 years

Of the Jesse Armstrong/Armando Iannucci stuff I still have to watch there's:
    • The last season or so of Veep
    • Peep Show. It never really grabbed me before after trying just one episode. I'll give it another go as it's supposed to be a classic
    • Avenue 5. Mixed reviews on RT but I see HBO have greenlit a second season and they seem to be quite fussy about what continues. So I'll try that as some stage too

King of them all though is The Thick Of It. Excellent writing and cast from start to finish

Loved every show mentioned in this post but I have to say Avenue 5 is really terrible in comparison to them. I really wanted to like it but it's just not that funny and very few likeable characters.

Watched 2 episodes of Life On Mars in the last week

Not getting the "all time classic" reviews of it quite yet, but it is good. I'll stick with it and see where it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Probably mentioned before but 'the boys' on amazon is very good. Seth rogen is one of the producers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nearing the end of Boardwalk Empire and its very good imo well worth a watch.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Probably mentioned before but 'the boys' on amazon is very good. Seth rogen is one of the producers.

You just ruined it for me, can't stand that lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

unhappys10 wrote: »
    You just ruined it for me, can't stand that lad.

To be fair, it's not really what you'd expect from a typical Seth Rogan project i.e. stoner humour. It's more of a twist on the typical superhero show. It's quite dark but has likeable leads and good performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭trashcan

I have an absolutely rational ;) hatred of dubbing. Couldn't watch a dubbed show. Subtitles any day of the week for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

To be fair, it's not really what you'd expect from a typical Seth Rogan project i.e. stoner humour. It's more of a twist on the typical superhero show. It's quite dark but has likeable leads and good performances.

Oh I've watched it and loved it, just can't stand that knob.

Season 1 of Life On mars done and dusted and although it didn't live upto the "all time great" hype I'll give the second season a watch too

There's only 2 seasons of it and I'd like to see where it ends up

Season 1 of Life On mars done and dusted and although it didn't live upto the "all time great" hype I'll give the second season a watch too

There's only 2 seasons of it and I'd like to see where it ends up

There is ashes to ashes as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Spiral - 7 seasons.

This is brilliant if you can get past the subtitles.
    almost like a French version of The Wire:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477507/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Just finished S1 of Harlots on BBC, hugely entertaining.

There is ashes to ashes as well.

Apparently not as good as Life On Mars?

• Advertisement

Apparently not as good as Life On Mars?

It depends.

I loved both. If you prefer Gene Hunt Ashes to Ashes is probably better.

Advertisement