Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Apparently not as good as Life On Mars?

The earlier seasons are not as good but it picks up half way through. Really enjoyed life on mars and ashes to ashes. Loved the 3 characters gene, ray and chris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

The earlier seasons are not as good but it picks up half way through. Really enjoyed life on mars and ashes to ashes. Loved the 3 characters gene, ray and chris.

We're hallway through first season of ashes to ashes now. It's a slightly different tone alright to life in Mars, but I don't think that's a bad thing.
    It's also because they've given it the aesthetic of an 80s show, where life on Mars did same with 70s, but didn't come across as cheesy cos the 70s want as cheesy as the 80s.
    The 70s had some style, 80s is all money and flash so that's reflected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Has anyone watched Nick Helms masterpiece (I think so) series on Netflix called Uncle. Bittersweet comedy mixed with amazing original music makes it one of my favourite shows.

Toast of London with Matt Berry is also amazing. Crazy and hilarious in equal measure.

IT Crowd comes close to Father Ted. One of the funniest modern shows.

Taster of one of the songs on uncle:

https://youtu.be/5jeI1M5XAvM

If you can get it on YouTube, Peter Kay’s Phoenix nights is amazing. Anarchic humour at its finest.

https://youtu.be/jxCK7h2TBKM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ok, going to give 'Mr Robot' a second chance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

joeguevara wrote: »

If you can get it on YouTube, Peter Kay’s Phoenix nights is amazing. Anarchic humour at its finest.

https://youtu.be/jxCK7h2TBKM

That show is hilarious, well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Devs

"Computer programmer as God" type of stuff by Alex Garland.

Looks and sounds great.

Takes its time.

Best thing from 2020 so far.

[IMG]https://tvseriesfinale.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/1 0/devs_nick-offerman-590x394.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Contagion - 2011, with Matt Damon.

Good yarn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

bullpost wrote: »
    Spiral - 7 seasons.

This is brilliant if you can get past the subtitles.
    almost like a French version of The Wire:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477507/

Sounds like up my street.

Is this on Netflix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Basq wrote: »

Excellent show

Although you'll need a Masters in Science to figure out those very last two episodes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got stuck into How to get away with Murder, a while back. Getting through 2 episodes a night, it's gripping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Anyone ever watch Supernatural? it appeared on Amazon.... 15 seasons, gotta be decent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Gave up after season 1, is it worth continuing on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,301 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

beertons wrote: »
    Got stuck into How to get away with Murder, a while back. Getting through 2 episodes a night, it's gripping.

Viola Davis is great in it but the storylines and murders went ott, very shark jumping for me

Gave up after season 1, is it worth continuing on with it

Some say so. I lasted until about halfway through season 3. Way too pretentious and po-faced for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,301 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone ever watch Supernatural? it appeared on Amazon.... 15 seasons, gotta be decent..

It's awesome

Absolutely loved White Gold on Netflix. Set in the 80s it is about a double glazing sales team. Jay from the in between era is in it. Absolute belly laughs.

Absolutely adored Ricky Gervais Derek. He plays an autistic 50 year old working in a nursing home. One of the few absolutely perfect shows.

Finished Life On Mars thanks to recommendations here

Whilst not the all time classic some rank it at, I did enjoy it and it has a great finale episode

It also has this character

tumblr_lt1b9a3FW91r3b3hco1_500.gif

Onto Watchmen at some stage this week. Is it really just 9 episodes total?

flat,128x128,075,f-pad,128x128,f8f8f8.jpg

@Shineon7 glad you liked ashes to ashes. Would never have put it or life on Mars as classics but thoroughly enjoyable.

As far as I know life on Mars was due another season but was cut short and the ending is probably indicative of this and divides opinion.

But (and in no way a spoiler) YouTube life on Mars US ending. They really fcuck things up.

Haven't watched Ashes To Ashes and I think I'll give it a miss as most say it's weaker than Life On Mars

I was reading that Life On Mars commissioned a third season in April, obviously that'll be delayed now if it still goes ahead

It doesn't need a third season imo, the last episode was perfect and one of the best TV finales I've seen from a British show

Haven't watched Ashes To Ashes and I think I'll give it a miss as most say it's weaker than Life On Mars

I was reading that Life On Mars commissioned a third season in April, obviously that'll be delayed now if it still goes ahead

It doesn't need a third season imo, the last episode was perfect and one of the best TV finales I've seen from a British show

If you liked Gene Hunt, then Ashes to Ashes can’t be missed. Honestly, I think it’s equal if not better than Life on Mars. Obviously there can be no spoilers but a third season of Life on Mars would be strange. The original concept deserved another season but the ending it had which was rushed means another season is contrived.

• Advertisement

After 3 and a half episodes of The Watchmen I'm out. There's not enough keeping me invested in the "what-the-fúckery" of it all

I think it's not my kinda genre and I only stuck with it because it was made by Damon Lindelof. I started this thread to keep my mind distracted from the pandemic after 9pm, and with numbers rising again The Watchmen isn't addictive enough

For now, I'm going to rewatch Succession. It's excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭irishchris

Absolutely loved White Gold on Netflix. Set in the 80s it is about a double glazing sales team. Jay from the in between era is in it. Absolute belly laughs.

Absolutely adored Ricky Gervais Derek. He plays an autistic 50 year old working in a nursing home. One of the few absolutely perfect shows.
    Just watched the two series of white gold thanks to your recommendation. Excellent show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am enjoying Mr Robot but at times, I do think it's definitely a bit more style than substance.

Am enjoying Mr Robot but at times, I do think it's definitely a bit more style than substance.

Yes it definitely is one of those "it's cool to say you watch it, but is it really that good?" kinda TV shows

But at it's best it is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Currently watching the sci fi show raised by wolves. Finished episode one and its not bad at all. Ridley Scott directed.

Currently watching the sci fi show raised by wolves. Finished episode one and its not bad at all. Ridley Scott directed.

Just 68% on Rotten Tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Just 68% on Rotten Tomatoes

Is that the critics score? Whats the audience score? Imdb rates it at 8.7

If you liked Gene Hunt, then Ashes to Ashes can’t be missed. Honestly, I think it’s equal if not better than Life on Mars. Obviously there can be no spoilers but a third season of Life on Mars would be strange. The original concept deserved another season but the ending it had which was rushed means another season is contrived.

Life on Mars way better imo

John Simm was brilliant in it.

glasso wrote: »
    Life on Mars way better imo

John Simm was brilliant in it.

John Simm is brilliant in everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not out until 18th but I am looking forward to Long Way Up...

Advertisement