Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Finished zerozerozero last night. Very good.
    I think it's from the guy who did Gomorrah, so we'll be starting into that after we watch the Comey rule.

Where can you watch this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Where can you watch this?

Amazon Prime

Amazon Prime

Excellent thanks, have that, just finishing Subburra (similarish) and Gomorroh one of my favourite shows from the last 5 years.

I am sure it has been mentioned already but The Shield is one of favourite ever shows, preferred it to The Wire. Much faster paced, think it is on ALL4 or/and RTE player.
    Southland is also very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Watched the Comey Rule , excellent , just before the election !
    Now watching the Undoing with Novole Kidman and Hugh Grant on Now TV .

• Advertisement

Amazon Prime

Can't find it on Amazon prime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Can't find it on Amazon prime?

It's not on Amazon...not here anyway, they have involvement in its making alright so I'm sure it should arrive here at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

I am sure it has been mentioned already but The Shield is one of favourite ever shows, preferred it to The Wire. Much faster paced, think it is on ALL4 or/and RTE player.
    Southland is also very good

The Shield is super.Vic Mackey and Al Swerengen from Deadwood are two of the greatest antiheroes tv has created. Al is worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

My recommendations

1 Get Shorty on Sky Atlantic. Series based in the film with our own Chris O Dowd.
    2 Goliath on Prime especially Season 1. Billy Bob Thornton stars
    3LouderMilk on Amazon. Quirky but v funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Shield is on Sky Box Sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

I am sure it has been mentioned already but The Shield is one of favourite ever shows, preferred it to The Wire

The Shield is my favourite TV show ever.

Each season builds on the last and it just gets better and better.

No idea why it’s overlooked so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The Shield is on Sky Box Sets.

Is it on All 4 too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Is it on All 4 too?

Yes its still on All4, great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

ALL of Silicon Valley is available on SKY at the moment. Great show.

Can't believe people on here are recommending Treme.... terrible preachy rubbish. Don't say you weren't warned...

AngryLoner wrote: »
    ALL of Silicon Valley is available on SKY at the moment. Great show.

I was a fan of the first two seasons, but then
    they just seem to reboot the entire show at the end of every season finale. If I'm remembering right they pulled the "they lose everything and have to start over" trick at least twice

I think I bailed around mid season 3

When it's funny it's very funny though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ironman76 wrote: »
    The Shield is my favourite TV show ever.

Each season builds on the last and it just gets better and better.

No idea why it’s overlooked so much.

Never seen the Shield. I enjoy cop shows in general. I presume it's worth a watch so?

billyhead wrote: »
    Never seen the Shield. I enjoy cop shows in general. I presume it's worth a watch so?

It's more than worth a watch. It's one of the most under-rated shows of all time

I say "under-rated" in the sense that everyone you know will have heard of The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Lost etc. But less of them will have heard or watched The Shield

An apt time to re-visit this thread I think

I'm currently re-watching:

The West Wing. About 3 episodes a week

I'm upto early Season 4 and may stop at the end of it. It becomes a very different show after Sorkin leaves and Season 5 is a bit shíte to say the least. Those first 4 seasons are still incredible TV even after all these years though. It's on the All 4 app

The Newsroom

More Sorkin stuff and I'm enjoying it again. Even if characters like Alison Pill's just don't work there's still plenty on the show that does

And considering a re-watch of: The Office (US)

Now back on Netflix and I've only watched it all once before from start to finish. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 episodes a week on a re-watch. It's a modern classic

Anything new or old engrossing you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It's more than worth a watch. It's one of the most under-rated shows of all time

I say "under-rated" in the sense that everyone you know will have heard of The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Lost etc. But less of them will have heard or watched The Shield

You've inspired me to rewatch it once I finish Fargo, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

watched all 3 series of Unforgotten over the last week or so... lovvved it.. can't wait to see series 4...
    In the meantime, started The Bridge (Bron/Broen) last night, v promising.. silver lining of the pandemic, been able to watch all this stuff - never had the time to do so before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Downloaded your honor on sky after seeing a snippet on gogglebox. Bryan cranston is always great.

Binged sopranos over the last month. After series 3 it's amazing.

Watching the wire. Just wow.

Recording gold rush everyday. Absolutely love it.

joeguevara wrote: »

Watched just the first season of this about 8 years ago and thought: "Is that it?! That's supposed to be one of the greatest TV shows ever?"

I didn't get the hype at all

That said, our TV tastes can change a lot in 8 years, so I may give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

joeguevara wrote: »
    Downloaded your honor on sky after seeing a snippet on gogglebox. Bryan cranston is always great.

Binged sopranos over the last month. After series 3 it's amazing.

Recording gold rush everyday. Absolutely love it.

The Wire is the best show of all time for me. Extremely authentic and much more depth than most shows now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Watched the first season of the wire also and didn't get the hype, gave up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭trashcan

Watched just the first season of this about 8 years ago and thought: "Is that it?! That's supposed to be one of the greatest TV shows ever?"

That said, our TV tastes can change a lot in 8 years, so I may give it another go

I’m always surprised when people say this. For me it’s the best TV I’ve ever seen, or expect to see. The sheer scale of the storytelling in it is just immense. So many characters, each so well done. It just feels so real and full of depth compared to other shows. Over 60 episodes it’s just a world that is so well drawn and complex. No heroes, no villains of the week, just flawed human characters. For a show with a message that the writers were so keen to get across, it wears that very lightly for me, and never forgets the human stories at the heart of the social critique it’s making. Stunning series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was in the exact same boat,gave up after season 1
    I gave it another try from the start a few years later,it lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

wadacrack wrote: »
    Kingdom on Netflix. MMA series. Very realistic . Don't need an interest in sports to enjoy it . Deserves more acclaim
    bladespin wrote: »
    Really?? Had high hopes but was badly let down by the ham in the first couple of episodes, stopped watching after that.
    bladespin wrote: »
    Maybe, never thought much of IMDB though, really found the premise hammy though, retired fighter struggles while his kids get into troubles with local mobs etc, love Grillo though (very underrated actor IMO), I'll give it another crack so.

And I did, I bow my head to you wadacrack, definitely built momentum after a sluggish start for me but nearly finished it now and I'll admit I love it, it's the kind of thing that takes a long time to really pay off IMO but once you become invested in the characters it hits - hard (sorry lol).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

wadacrack wrote: »
    The Wire is the best show of all time for me. Extremely authentic and much more depth than most shows now.

The Sopranos is better IMO , the last series of The Wire was a let down for me

i do love the wire though in spite of the final series , currently watching it again on Sky Atlantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I was like that with Breaking Bad. I gave up after 2.5 seasons.

I struggled with The Wire too. It took 6/7 eps to start grabbing me. Not sure if after struggling for a whole season it'd be worth another go. I loved it in the end meself and season 2 was my favourite.

Similarly I've seen random episodes of The Sopranos thinking this is epic but I just cant get passed the first season. I'm maybe 7/8 eps in and it's just not grabbing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Is Suits worth a watch?

Advertisement