Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

dilallio wrote: »
    Thanks bosco.

Started watching ZeroZeroZero the other night and it's the best show I've seen in a while.

The cinematography is top class, and the casting is excellent.

Agreed, top quality show, glad you enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Agreed, top quality show, glad you enjoyed it!

ZeroZeroZero excellent and music by Mogwai adds to it.

I’ve tried Mad Men, got as far as maybe 4th episode in S1. Wasn’t hooked.
    Is it worth another try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i thought Zero Zero Zero was so so until about half way through , in the end i did like it though

thought the british actress was superb in the role of Emma

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

Started rewatching justified at S2

Pretty decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Whoever mentioned Zerozerozero cheers!!

Not even finished the first episode it it's already outstanding!

• Advertisement

You're welcome :)

I forgot to mention Gomorrah actually. It was written by the same guy who wrote ZeroZeroZero. Well worth a watch!

bosco12345 wrote: »
    I forgot to mention Gomorrah actually. It was written by the same guy who wrote ZeroZeroZero. Well worth a watch!

And suburra is another worth watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is it in English or in Italian with English subs?

Wiki
    ZeroZeroZero is an Italian crime drama television series created by Stefano Sollima, Leonardo Fasoli and Mauricio Katz for Sky Atlantic, Canal+ and Prime Video.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Is it in English or in Italian with English subs?

Wiki

It's a mixture of English, Italian and Spanish(Mexican) with subs. I'm on ep5 now. It really is outstanding stuff altogether. So far its roughly an even split between the 3 languages. Dont let the subs put you off. By far the best stuff I seen over the last 5/6 year has been foreign. And don't be tempted to watch anything dubbed.

Gomorrah is next up. I've put that off for a while now I'm itching to start it. Cheers Bosco!!

• Advertisement

Gomorrah is next up. I've put that off for a while now I'm itching to start it. Cheers Bosco!!

Another worth checking out is Romanzo Criminale
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242773/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can't stand anything with subtitles, just focus too much on the reading and miss so much else

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Can't stand anything with subtitles, just focus too much on the reading and miss so much else

I used to be like that until I watched Deutschland 83 and more so Dark.

Deadly username btw! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭trashcan

You’re really missing out on some top class shows by thinking that. I’ve found with subtitles now I barely notice. You really don’t miss anything by reading them. Like the poster above said, the Deutschland series are all terrific, and Narcos is one of the best series going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Another worth checking out is Romanzo Criminale
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242773/

I really enjoyed Gomorrah and ZeroZeroZero but I just couldn't get into Romanzo Criminale, gave up after a couple of episodes. Not sure why, maybe expecting too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

noserider wrote: »
    I’ve tried Mad Men, got as far as maybe 4th episode in S1. Wasn’t hooked.
    Is it worth another try?

I felt the same for the first half of season 1 and I actually did give up on it.

Came back a year later, watched the whole thing and thought it was brilliant.

Definitely stick with it!

I found The Flight Attendant good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

Pennyworth is pretty good

This thread is a year old this week. Thankfully the "current madness" is turning into "current hope"

I started a re-watch this week of Manhunt:Unabomber on Netflix

It's superb and it stands up to another viewing

Has anyone seen Season 2 of it - Deadly Games? I wasn't even aware it had a sequel till recently

Manhunt%2C_Unabomber_tv_series_poster.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

enjoying Ozark at the moment plenty twists & turns to keep you guessing.

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    This thread is a year old this week. Thankfully the "current madness" is turning into "current hope"

I started a re-watch this week of Manhunt:Unabomber on Netflix

It's superb and it stands up to another viewing

Has anyone seen Season 2 of it - Deadly Games? I wasn't even away it had a sequel till recently

Manhunt%2C_Unabomber_tv_series_poster.jpeg

Yes season 2 is also worth a watch. They renamed the show to just manhunt which is why you may have missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I don't mind watching subtitles but I know what you mean.

I watched one of the Scandinavian crime shows a few years ago on my computer hooked up to my TV. The subtitles weren't part of the actual picture and was separated for different languages so the software program I used allowed me to change the subtitle's size, positioning, everything really.

So I placed them a little below the centre of the screen, made them bigger and about 20% transparent. Made a huge difference. It meant I could still focus on the actor's performance rather than a fairly meaningless part of the frame at the bottom of the screen.

I'm surprised nobody at the likes of Netflix thought of this as an option. They allow you to change the font but not the position.

Not really a show but the 10 part documentary of ww2 in colour on netflix is absolutely phenomenal. If you have any interest in ww2 history, this is a much watch

Same here

I loved Narcos upto a point, but I bailed in Season 2 because of subtitles overload

I find too many subtitles mean you miss nuances from the actors because you're focusing too much on words on the screen

Inglorious B@stards was the same for me towards the end of the film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Baskets

Great TV series

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

I’m watching Invincible right now and it’s excellent. It’s an animated series but should be right up the alleyway for any fans of “the Boys”. Morally complex superhero fare and a really strong voice cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I’m watching Invincible right now and it’s excellent. It’s an animated series but should be right up the alleyway for any fans of “the Boys”. Morally complex superhero fare and a really strong voice cast.

Just watched the first episode, seemed a bit clichéd and run of the mill until those last 10 mins, wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

Zerozerozero

Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

viewpoint on ITV is worth a goo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Lash Chance U is a great series on Netflix. American football and One basketball season documentary of college athletes. But it mainly focusses on the personal stories of coaches/ players and staff. Insightful

Advertisement