Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Loved Lilyhammer on Netflix. Steven Van Zandt plays a gangster who goes into witness protection and chooses Lilyhammer because he once saw the Winter Okympics come from there.
    Very quickly he’s back to his old ways and the interaction with the locals is hilarious.
    The odd bit is in Norwegian and sometimes they don’t have subtitles but you somehow feel you can understand Norwegian perfectly.
    Think Sopranos with snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Mindhunter is a slow burner worth a watch on Netflix.
    I think there are 3 seasons.....and it's got Anna Torv in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

is_that_so wrote: »
    Marcella, Collateral, Wallander are a few others I'd add.
    Just finished bingeing Unforgotten last weekend and started both Marcella and Collateral this week.
    I find the background music in Collateral quite jarring, its way too loud so not sure if I can get through the series

To add a similar UK police Drama I highly recommend River (from 2015 with Stellan Skanskard), similar to Unforgotten and Collateral it also stars Nicola Walker. In my head, I kinda treat it like an Unforgotten Sequel!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

+1 for Succession

Stand out show for me over the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Gomorrah is a great show that hasn't been mentioned here

Gomorrah is overall probably one of the best and most engrossing show I've ever watched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

You wouldn't be into sci fi? I got absolutely sucked into the first season of The Expanse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Everyone is different.

Luther on pg1, like, it rode the wave of season 1 for 3 more seasons of utter sh1te.

The wire -its ok
    Breaking bad- it's ok

Always mentioned them to.

Personally thought house was great and Stargate, only 2 series I ever rewatched. Others will say wtf to them shows soooo, yea, threads like this are pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

My husbands all time favourite is “breaking bad”. Not sure if this ones been mentioned as didn’t read the next 6 pages but His next. Is “better call Saul”. We’re currently watching Ozark. But himself would really recommend better call Saul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    +1 for Succession

Stand out show for me over the last while
    I couldn't get to the end of the first episode of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Ok OP... I’ve just read the rest of the thread and see you’ve watched “better call Saul”. And it seems you have the exact same taste as my OH! Anyway, he says you should try “Marco Polo”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Just watching this atm. Great show!!

Sherlock is also a good reworking of Sherlock holmes. Cumberbatch and Freeman are very good in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Watchmen was suggested as it was made by a Lost/Leftovers writer, but is it Marvel/DC World typical stuff? They normally aren't my kinda thing. I find the whole Marvel/Avengers "universe" a bit tedious

Yeah that Marvel stuff bores me too. Comments on your ideas...

The Wire:

I watched the first season but it never gripped me. I keep meaning to go back and try again.

Homeland:

Lost interest but was good for a while.

Game Of Thrones:

I just finished the last season 2 weeks ago. I thought it was an excellent final season.

Chernobyl:

Excellent. Well made. A must see.

Peaky Blinders:

I watched the first couple of season ages ago. Lost interest. My kids love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mindhunter is a slow burner worth a watch on Netflix.

+1 for Mindhunter

Also liked Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

A Norwegian mini series on netflix called 'the nobel' .It's excellent .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

On some of the suggestions:

'The Wire' - Excellent show. Great scope and coverage in themes as well as attention to detail. I liked it straight away (was a fan of 'Homicide: Life on the Street'). Deserving of its cult status. Also worth a watch is 'The Deuce' about the sex trade in New York - same writer as 'The Wire'.

'Succession' - Really enjoyed this. It's a drama with dark comic elements. Most of the cast are horrible but so well written. Extremely sharp dialogue.

'Peaky Blinders' - First couple of seasons are good but then it falls off a cliff in quality. Better shows out there.

'Justified' - A very smart show about a US Marshall. The first season is a little "story of the week" but it really picks up after that. Some of the best dialogue I've heard, outside of 'Deadwood' (also staring Timothy Olyphant).

'Gomorrah' - Yes, a good recommendation. A modern take on crime in Naples. All too believable. If you like this, then try 'Top Boy: Summerhouse' and 'Top Boy' on Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

The Night Manager is also worthy of a mention... Although still waiting on Season 2

+1 on The Boys. It's on Amazon which is why I don't thinking it's getting the love it deserves, it's brilliant and there's a couple of great subversions that work on multiples levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Battlestar Gallactica- thought I wouldn't like it at all but was hooked after about 5 episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

The shield at one point was up there as my all time favorite shows still ranks up there at top 3 of all time though. If your into high-octane type cop shows I'd thoroughly recommend, last season is on par with breaking Bad as all time favorite finale.

The Shield is on Channel 4 On Demand - free to watch, but video quality isn't the best.

The Americans..

I don't know did it go under the radar or what, but it's the best thing I watched in ages.. Although you have to download it I think..

Babylon Berlin is brilliant too as someone was saying..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Americans..

I don't know did it go under the radar or what, but it's the best thing I watched in ages.. Although you have to download it I think..

Babylon Berlin is brilliant too as someone was saying..

The Americans is on Amazon Prime

The Americans is on Amazon Prime

It's absolutely brilliant..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's absolutely brilliant..
    It is. Not only that, it finishes *very* strongly and there's very few shows that I'd say that about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't think The Americans was mentioned which surprises me. Great show that holds its quality to the end.

And also another vote for Mad Men and Life on Mars.

As you liked the Shield you'll probably like Southland.
    I mentioned it :)
    It is a cracking show, it had me hooked in the first episode especially with the music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Battlestar

Longmire

Luther

ixoy wrote: »
    It is. Not only that, it finishes *very* strongly and there's very few shows that I'd say that about.

Haha.. yeah, what an ending.. but like, the whole thing from start to finish was absolute quality..

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

No Offense... or is it No Offence....always recommending this. On Ch4 app. As is lots of other great stuff ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭jellybear

Boardwalk Empire would get my vote :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

+1 for Mindhunter

Also liked Unbelievable.

Mindhunter is superb. Unbelievable is dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭urgelgru

Mostly ones that have been mentioned but:

Another vote for Succession. I dropped it after first episode but tried it again nearly a year later after reading some good reviews and was hooked

Damages - each season has quite a different storyline and lots of twists and turns. Glenn Close chews the scenery a bit :D

Bosch - thought the first episode was very clichéd (maverick cop who doesn't play by his own rules...) but I stuck with it and burned through four seasons very quickly. 5th is just about to drop I think.

The Boys - I don't normally care for comic book type things but this was a nice twist on it. Actually I ended up liking a couple of other comic book things - Umbrella Academy and Doom Patrol. Both quite weird but watchable. I have zero interest in Marvel or the "mainstream" DC shows. (Doom Patrol is DC I believe)

Also watched Hunters recently. Very watchable, but last ep a bit of a mindfup! More scenery chewing, this time from Al Pacino.

I quite enjoyed last season of GOT. :D

I literally only finished the Shield after years of "meaning to watch it". Excellent stuff.

I also watched Chernobyl this week but had to fast forward through a few scenes. Harrowing.

Can't remember if Mad Men mentioned. I'd love to go back and rewatch but hard to justify when there's so much damn tv out there!

Also Line of Duty - I think its getting a bit played out now at this stage but I'll stick with it to the end!

The Night of - based on a UK show called Criminal Justice, which was good in itself but I preferred the American version

Advertisement