Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The website I was watching Succession on keeps crashing, so I'll pause it for a few days after one season done. Very good show

I'll go with season 2 of Afterlife later. Season one was far from "engrossing" but it can be binged on at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Bloodline

Brilliant show, but the second half of the last season is pure muck

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Just after finishing the last season of gomorrah brilliant...has to be one of the best if not the beat series ive watched ever.....something you will think about long after u watched it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭fran38

I'll go with season 2 of Afterlife later. Season one was far from "engrossing" but it can be binged on at least[/quote]

Just finished S2. Highly reccomended, just dont be in a rough place while watching it.

fran38 wrote: »
    I'll go with season 2 of Afterlife later. Season one was far from "engrossing" but it can be binged on at least

Just finished S2. Highly reccomended, just dont be in a rough place while watching it.[/quote]

Great,I loved S1,looking forward to watching 2.

Someone recommended Evil Genius to me yesterday, no idea what its about but will have a look over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

Kind of against the intention of the thread, but it's interesting to see the big hitters (at their peak) of lost, dexter, and game of thrones not getting a mention (unless I missed them). Goes to show what a poor ending can do to a show.

Based on this thread I've started succession, and am loving it! Agree that it takes time to find it's feet.

Always sunny and the think of it, both on Netflix are excellent comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭urgelgru

OP said they had watched up to the last season of GOT. Even knowing how angry people were about the ending of GOT I'd still recommend it to someone who's never seen it. It's a wild ride :D
    Sadly I feel the books will never be finished.

I'd say shows like Succession are picking up a lot of fans last few weeks. When you do get into it, it's gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭urgelgru

I'm about to give Kidding a watch, starring Jim Carrey.

Never heard of it before a few days ago.

Loved it, and gets better in the second series. They've put some great detail into the puppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

urgelgru wrote: »
    OP said they had watched up to the last season of GOT. Even knowing how angry people were about the ending of GOT I'd still recommend it to someone who's never seen it. It's a wild ride :D
    Sadly I feel the books will never be finished.

I'd say shows like Succession are picking up a lot of fans last few weeks. When you do get into it, it's gold.

GOT was completely ruined for me, so much so I'll never watch it again. That last season was a complete joke and considering they had any amount of money and time thrown at them to finish it makes it worse.

An upside to the virus is I heard he is locked away with nothing to do but write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You sure? Check from 1:10 here

• Advertisement

scoobydude wrote: »
    Kind of against the intention of the thread, but it's interesting to see the big hitters (at their peak) of lost, dexter, and game of thrones not getting a mention (unless I missed them). Goes to show what a poor ending can do to a show.

I mentioned Lost in my opening post. It's last season and finale hugely divided fans but I think overall Lost is absolutely worth a watch.

Someone on Reddit described it as "the biggest and best Shaggy Dog story ever told" and I think this sums it up well. So much of the strands go nowhere, but there was something very special about that first watch of the show

Dexter on the other hand; Wow what an absolute clusterfúck they made of this show after season 4 (or was it 3?). It's always top of the discussion boards when "worst show finale ever" comes up. A pity, because it was great TV untill the original Showrunner left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

For All Mankind season 1 is available to watch free on Apple TV ATM. I found it really enjoyable and I love shows that play with "What if" history like this does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What about something like Band of Brothers?
    It's only 10 episodes but more than enough to get engrossed into it.

I rewatched this recently having not seen it since it first aired. I remembered David Schwimmer being in it, and one or two other things, but for the most part a lot of it I had forgotten.

I thought it held up remarkably well on my rewatch. I'd not realised just how much action takes place in the opening episodes. Very emotional final words in the last episode as well. If I had to be ultra critical, I'd say any time a British officer showed up it tended to verge too far into stereotype territory for me. 'Bugger me, old boy, is it good to see you Yanks. Why, we'll have Jerry on the run in no time.' Some might say this was typical for British troops in the '40s, but it came across to me like a 21st century American writer trying to imagine what British soldiers might sound like. That's a small complaint though. Outstanding programme, overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

scoobydude wrote: »
    Brilliant show, but the second half of the last season is pure muck

Yes that wasn't too good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

For mindless entertainment you can watch
    The Blacklist

For just the mindless bit
    The Last Ship

Or for an excellent, excellent show
    Boston Legal

I cant recommend Boston Legal enough.

Season 1 of Succession - "yeah, not bad"
    Season 2 of Succession (episode 4 so far) - "oh ok, now I get the hype"

It's given me something to look forward to at night in bed when my brain starts racing about Covid and takes my mind off it. Which is exactly what I was looking for

Very good show

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Handmaids tale

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

There's a good selection on All4 (Channel 4) which are free to view in Ireland.

Walter Presents have a few foreign tv shows - currently watching Thou Shalt Not Kill which is from Italy - has 36 episodes.

Succession season 2 gets better and better. It's the only thing I've looked forward to all day

Thanks to all who recommended it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Marje wrote: »
    There's a good selection on All4 (Channel 4) which are free to view in Ireland.

Walter Presents have a few foreign tv shows - currently watching Thou Shalt Not Kill which is from Italy - has 36 episodes.

Not sure if they are still on there but I enjoyed the Duestchland 83 and 89. Good dramas.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Not sure if they are still on there but I enjoyed the Duestchland 83 and 89. Good dramas.

I'm going to get around to these at some stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Where is The Wire available?

1966 wrote: »
    Where is The Wire available?

Last I checked it's on Now TV, but not for too much longer. Maybe 4 more weeks if memory serves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

E4 repeating Misfits also on the player on demand

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Finished watching season 1&2 of Yellowstone. Excellent show. Found season 2 better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Started watching Peaky Blinders. Enjoying it, just started season 2 last night.

But I doubt I'll ever not laugh at them using their hats as weapons :D

Penn wrote: »
    Started watching Peaky Blinders. Enjoying it, just started season 2 last night.

But I doubt I'll ever not laugh at them using their hats as weapons :D

Apparently it starts great and then in later seasons is pretty meh. I'm ok with shows who do this the other way around, like Breaking bad, but these days I won't invest in a show that doesn't finish strong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Doesn't have to be prestige shows.

A reminder that I need to rewatch Columbo all over again.

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1256662832873197570

Finished season 2 of Succession last night. A very good show, thanks all who suggested it here.

Next up:

I'm thinking Bosch or Billions. Or maybe finally finish GOT with it's last season. Or maybe even Unforgettable on Netflix, it has great reviews. So much TV to choose from these days

I watched te first season of Billions and thought it was just ok. Does it get better? And what's the consensus on Bosch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭wandererz

Fauda, on Netflix.

Advertisement