Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought phone in Three Store. Can I use a vodafone sim in it?

• 17-04-2020 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

I don't know if its locked or not. Can I use a vodafone sim in it?

Comments

Depends on what phone it is.

put a Vodafone sim in it and try it, then you will know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭I am me123

Depends on what phone it is.

Phone is a Samsung A10. Bought from a Three Store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

I am me123 wrote: »
    I don't know if its locked or not. Can I use a vodafone sim in it?

All phones bought in specific stores would be locked to that network so no would be the answer

All phones bought in specific stores would be locked to that network so no would be the answer

Could Three.ie unlock it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Does it show a 3 logo when you turn it on?if it does the wont accept any other sim for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Why do you want to put a vf sim in a newly bought 3 phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

They could but you'd have to fulfill their unlock requirements - https://community.three.ie/t5/Handsets-Devices/How-to-Unlock-Your-Phone/ta-p/542440

Might be quicker to get an unlock code online

They will only unlock the phone after you have put a certain amount of credit in it after a good few months.
    Why not buy a sim with it when you were buying it and transfer ur number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Try a Vodafone SIM in it, if it is locked you can get an unlock code for cheap on eBay within a few hours.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

wife got phone from three.ie and it was locked. I paid 20euro for an online unlock website to give me the code to unlock it which worked a charm.

That's not true.

That's not true.

What part isnt true. 3 sell phones locked to 3 vf sell phones locked to vf and so on

What part isnt true. 3 sell phones locked to 3 vf sell phones locked to vf and so on

No they don't. Example: the Pixel 3A I bought in a Vodafone store is unlocked and uses my Gomo sim just fine. They lock some phones, not all phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

The easiest way I've found to get stuff unlocked is to buy the unlock code on eBay. All you need is the IMEI. Usually get the code within a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Can't understand why the OP would buy a phone from Three and then want to put a Vodafone Sim in it, or why they don't just put the Sim in it to find out instead of wasting people's time here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not all phones are locked to the providers network.
    I got a Nokia smartphone in a deal in Vodafone last year and it was unlocked.

Just stick the Vodafone sim in the phone and see if it works. Easiest way all round.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not all phones are locked to the providers network.
    I got a Nokia smartphone in a deal in Vodafone last year and it was unlocked.

Just stick the Vodafone sim in the phone and see if it works. Easiest way all round.

It has the 3 symbol on screen when its powered on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Can't understand why the OP would buy a phone from Three and then want to put a Vodafone Sim in it, or why they don't just put the Sim in it to find out instead of wasting people's time here

Why did you waste time posting that bs?

10fathoms wrote: »
    The easiest way I've found to get stuff unlocked is to buy the unlock code on eBay. All you need is the IMEI. Usually get the code within a day

Thank you. I've contacted 3 and provided them with the phone IMEI and they are sending me the unlock code sometime next week via email.

When I get the code is it an easy process from there to unlock it?

• Advertisement

Thank you. I've contacted 3 and provided them with the phone IMEI and they are sending me the unlock code sometime next week via email.

When I get the code is it an easy process from there to unlock it?

Put in the Vodafone sim and you will get a notification in the notification bar regarding unlocking the phone. Just enter the code and job done.

Bit of background :

Phone registered in my name, am giving this phone to a family member as their phone is giving up the ghost. I am with Three & they are with Vodafone.

Will this be a tricky changeover? Does it just need unlocking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Bit of background :

Phone registered in my name, am giving this phone to a family member as their phone is giving up the ghost. I am with Three & they are with Vodafone.

Will this be a tricky changeover? Does it just need unlocking?

Not tricky, it's as easy as:
    Put in the Vodafone sim and you will get a notification in the notification bar regarding unlocking the phone. Just enter the code and job done.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Pity the op didn't give full info in their 1st post. They would have had correct answers quicker.

It read that you just bought a phone in a 3 store and wanted to use a vf sim.

Whereas it's a phone bought a while back, out of contract and therefore no problem for getting the unlock code from 3

Darc19 wrote: »
    Pity the op didn't give full info in their 1st post. They would have had correct answers quicker.

It read that you just bought a phone in a 3 store and wanted to use a vf sim.

Whereas it's a phone bought a while back, out of contract and therefore no problem for getting the unlock code from 3

Thanks.
    Anybody know if one has to pay a fee for recieving an unlock code?
    PS. Can my family member then register the phone in their name?

wife got phone from three.ie and it was locked. I paid 20euro for an online unlock website to give me the code to unlock it which worked a charm.

Thanks.
    What was the unlock.website?

Thanks.
    What was the unlock.website?

Not sure if I'm allowed to post unlock websites on the thread but I've sent you a PM

Not sure if I'm allowed to post unlock websites on the thread but I've sent you a PM

Thanks.
    What details were required to unlock the phone? Was it just the IMEI code?

Just a quick question :

When you register a phone, can a phone be registered under a number that a different phone is already registered under?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The number belongs to the SIM card inside the phone, not the phone itself.

biko wrote: »
    The number belongs to the SIM card inside the phone, not the phone itself.

So if a phone is registered with a person's details at the time of purchase, could the phone be given to someone else on a different network? Would unlocking be tricky in this case?

Advertisement