Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help building pc for Lightroom/Photoshop

Options
  • 17-04-2020 3:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is the First build I've done in years. The only demanding thing I do is Lightroom, and some Photoshop which are sluggish on my 5 year old dell xps, so time for a new build, but I really want to keep the price down.

Mainly I need a decent processor, Ryzen being the obvious choice. I want to go 32gb for future proof sake. I just need a small ssd for OS etc I have sata drives already. Unsure if I should og M.2. I don't game so no super graphics card needed. I'm mostly clueless re power supply, cpu cooler and specifics around brand and type of the rest of the components - so I just did a guess based on reviews and value.

The first budget build I did was here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zascar/saved/#view=gjN2Vn

But a friend told me I should have more cores so now I went with this: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zascar/saved/#view=7Bdvf7 which is a little more but miles more processing power for future proofing etc.

Does anyone know what's the best value processor for Lightroom? I read its not about overall cores or threads as it can't use them all, you are better to go for max cpu speed

Any comments on these I would really appreciated it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Switch to the UK PcPartpicker for more realistic prices for Europe!

Do you have a budget in mind? Think you could save a good bit on the build above. I don't think Lightroom is too intensive these days- there's the cloud and classic version.

Could likely save on the cooler, think AMD's stock one is fine for your needs. I also think 16gb ram would be plenty too, can always add another 2 sticks at a later stage! Definitely recommend SSD for OS and for the apps, keep them snappy, they've gone down a fair bit in price. Would really only recommend the old school hard disks for storage / backups.

Will let others put together a proper build!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Definitely don't go first-gen Threadripper - Ryzen 3000 series is the way to go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OK thanks I'll ignore the first gen. So when you say the 3000, will the Ryzen 5 3600 do? It has 6 cores and either 3.6ghz or 3.8ghz. However then there is the Ryzen 9 3900 - 12 Core 3.8ghz. But it's twice the price. Is it worth it? I'm guessing the difference any modern pc will make over what I have now will be substantial, but the difference to me between these two processors won't be so dramatic. Thoughts?

Any advice on ram, motherboard, hard drive etc to get best bang for my buck?

Advertisement