Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours kid trespassing

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

AulWan wrote: »
    My kids are in their twenties now, and no, I don't expect that they followed every rule I set every single time, but I can tell you that if any neighbour had come to me and asked that I speak to my son about not using their driveway as a short-cut I would have said "no problem" and sat him down and explained not to do that again. No need for any fallings out at all.

If he then did do it again there would have been consequences, and there would be each time, until he learned to do as I asked. Its not difficult. Parenting 101. Teach your kids not to bother other people. I would not expect my neighbour to pay for a fence because of any child of mine, I'd be mortified.

But there seems to be different standards these days.

Unless I missed something, my understanding is that OP only spoke to the 6 year old child and hasnt approached the parents yet. So it is in my opinion clear as day that the child wouldnt take any heed. What we should not forget here is the OP is realtively new in the house....the big question here is....what did the previous neighbours accept or did the wee man maybe get the OK from them to do it??

The OP should grow a set and either speak to the parents or live with it. Telling a 6 year old, you have nothing to do with, to walk another way after the wee man spent 6 years doing that very way without a word.......kids are kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Unless I missed something, my understanding is that OP only spoke to the 6 year old child and hasnt approached the parents yet. So it is in my opinion clear as day that the child wouldnt take any heed. What we should not forget here is the OP is realtively new in the house....the big question here is....what did the previous neighbours accept or did the wee man maybe get the OK from them to do it??

The OP should grow a set and either speak to the parents or live with it. Telling a 6 year old, you have nothing to do with, to walk another way after the wee man spent 6 years doing that very way without a word.......kids are kids.

Which is why I suggested going and speaking to the parents before they go erecting any fences etc.

The OP has a genuine concern about the child crossing the driveway while they are reversing out, and all jokes aside, that is a real concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Nicki99

AulWan wrote: »
    My kids are in their twenties now, and no, I don't expect that they followed every rule I set every single time, but I can tell you that if any neighbour had come to me and asked that I speak to my son about not using their driveway as a short-cut I would have said "no problem" and sat him down and explained not to do that again. No need for any fallings out at all.

If he then did do it again there would have been consequences, and there would be each time, until he learned to do as I asked. Its not difficult. Parenting 101. Teach your kids not to bother other people. I would not expect my neighbour to pay for a fence because of any child of mine, I'd be mortified.

But there seems to be different standards these days.

Yes there's a completely different standard these days. Generally speaking parents nowadays don't take kindly to others chastising their kids, be it neighbours or you know, the priests or whatever. Times have changed. Thankfully :)

Most parents will teach their own children respect and some will let them run riot. OPs neighbours may not realise there is an issue and may be apologetic if its raised with them, on the other hand they may not care and it could lead to ongoing problems.

You keep asking why op should put up a fence, and I keep telling you to keep the peace.

Have a nice day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

You know what would also keep the peace? Approaching the neigbhours and asking them to speak to their son. It's also free.

I don't know why you're so certain it would end up in warring neighbours, unless of course, you're one of those people who actually does take the hump at any word said about your children.

Hopefully, the neighbours are more reasonable then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Next time he comes through, stop him and ask him if he wants to bring Jesus into his life. Offer to say a short prayer with him.
    He’ll stay away from you after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pokemon2022

Some good ideas to block the way prevent garden been used as pathway to another garden. Have this problem at present. One neighbour (obviously has no clue of teaching respect thy neighbour) literally tells his child a 10 year to cross our back garden to get into other neighbours garden its going on for months and end . Neighbour is not approachable person. . There is no law when it comes to this as police couldn't give a crap about kids trespassing on neighbours garden. .. feel like getting bard wire and putting along the fence or near gap making it difficult.. if they hurt themselves who is liable? Considering they shouldn't be in the garden.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you place a hazard or trap in your garden and a trespasser is injured, you will be liable for their injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's a ten year old not a special forces trainee just fence the place properly without barbed wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Razor wire, machine gun nests that fire at anything that moves plus a few mines should do it! That little fella will learn fast 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Put up a wooden fence if it's possible it's your land don't expect a 6 year old to understand i should walk around a boundary that's not visible I don't see the problem unless you think there might be an accident in the future a basic wooden fence is cheap to install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

You forgot Bamboo pits like they had in Vietnam..... yeah I remember being in a Viet Cong PoW camp near Da Nang 68-71...... That should teach him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

People have to have a reasonable expectation of privacy, however, threads like this remind me a bit of a house I went to see when I was buying years ago, a small bungalow in an estate, massive hedge higher than the house, locks on the gate, several locks on the front door, etc, you could actually feel the waves of paranoia.

Now the person probably had social anxiety, depression but imagine spending your life making your home a fortress because of fear of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

I see it the other way

People walking on eggshells when issues arise with their neighbours.

Sh1t themselves with the notion of highlighting grievances with the people next door.

If you have issues with kids on your property, tell them directly and then approach the parents and be direct.

Advertisement