Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck with Instant Coffee for now. What are my options?

Options
  • 17-04-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Since the restrictions like many I can't get out to try good freshly ground coffee so Im stuck with Instant coffee for now.

I'm tired of drinking it as it's much of a muchness regardless of brand.

From reading other threads the options are to either get an Aeropress, French press or worst case scenario an Espresso Machine.

Can anyone recommend a budget model for each of the above.

In the meantime can anyone recommend an Instant Coffee. Ive tried to find better than the usual Nescafé etc so tried LOR Classique but there's no real difference.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Shops still deliver coffee beans and grinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm in a similar boat and went straight for the Espresso Machine... Theres plenty of people still delivering. I'm gonna try to educate myself while I have a small bit of extra time.

Espresso Machine:
    https://cloudpickercoffee.ie/collections/equipment/products/sage-the-bambino-plus-save-100-april-special-only

Chemex:
    https://cloudpickercoffee.ie/collections/equipment/products/chemex-classic-woodneck-6-cup

Aeropress:
    https://cloudpickercoffee.ie/collections/equipment/products/aeropress

My bother uses a Chemex & I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Shops still deliver coffee beans and grinders.

Is a grinder different to the French press.
    From what I read on boards the Aeropress Is more like an espresso Machine.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat and went straight for the Espresso Machine... Theres plenty of people still delivering. I'm gonna try to educate myself while I have a small bit of extra time.

Espresso Machine:
    https://cloudpickercoffee.ie/collections/equipment/products/sage-the-bambino-plus-save-100-april-special-only

Chemex:
    https://cloudpickercoffee.ie/collections/equipment/products/chemex-classic-woodneck-6-cup

Aeropress:

Thanks for the links I'll check those out now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Aeropress is a standard price, get it from an Irish roaster so you can guarantee quick delivery, amazon has delays

Have you a way to grind coffee? you can get ground from the irish lads, but you'd be better getting beans and grinding them yourself if you can. a decent hand burr grinder will be ok for you

an aeropress is not a machine, but supposedly produces the best espresso-like coffee from a manual contraption

otherwise, french press is always good, but better for larger batches, you can go chemex or v60 for pourover coffee, a plastic v60 would be cheap enough.

Here are some links to those various pieces of kit, pick one of the first thre, and the last one too.

Aeropress

v60 Dripper

French Press

Hand Grinder

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Since the restrictions like many I can't get out to try good freshly ground coffee so Im stuck with Instant coffee for now.

I'm tired of drinking it as it's much of a muchness regardless of brand.

From reading other threads the options are to either get an Aeropress, French press or worst case scenario an Espresso Machine.

Can anyone recommend a budget model for each of the above.

In the meantime can anyone recommend an Instant Coffee. Ive tried to find better than the usual Nescafé etc so tried LOR Classique but there's no real difference.

Thanks for any help.

Azera, definitely the best of the instant coffees!

• Advertisement

Is a grinder different to the French press.
    From what I read on boards the Aeropress Is more like an espresso Machine.

Thanks for the links I'll check those out now

A grinder is for turning to beans into coffee grind.
    A french press does not make espresso but it is still far superior to instant coffee.

Aeropress is a standard price, get it from an Irish roaster so you can guarantee quick delivery, amazon has delays

Have you a way to grind coffee? you can get ground from the irish lads, but you'd be better getting beans and grinding them yourself if you can. a decent hand burr grinder will be ok for you

an aeropress is not a machine, but supposedly produces the best espresso-like coffee from a manual contraption

otherwise, french press is always good, but better for larger batches, you can go chemex or v60 for pourover coffee, a plastic v60 would be cheap enough.

Here are some links to those various pieces of kit, pick one of the first thre, and the last one too.

Aeropress

v60 Dripper

French Press

Hand Grinder
    Thanks that's a great help. How do the Chemex and V60 pour over methods compare to the French Press.

I'm leaning towards the Aeropress and the Grinder atm. Can I order Beans from an Irish Roaster or do they only sell Ground coffee. I'd like to order everything in one go if possible.
    Canterelle wrote: »
    Azera, definitely the best of the instant coffees!
    Thanks, do you mean Nescafé Azera?
    A grinder is for turning to beans into coffee grind.
    A french press does not make espresso but it is still far superior to instant coffee.
    In your opinion is the French Press superior to the Aeropress?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Espresso Machine:

Chemex:

Aeropress:

Can any of these do a good latte?

zweton wrote: »
    Can any of these do a good latte?

The Sage Bambino has a really good steaming wand... That's one of my main reasons for choosing it. I occasionally like a milky coffee & this can do lattes and cappuccino

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Sounds good, this is all new to me. By any chance is it possible to make a latte from an aeropress? I know theres no wand obviously but as an aside or something. I have an aeropress from years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Why don’t you get your coffee delivered?

I get my coffee beans from Bell Lane Coffee in Mullingar... Delivered monthly but I ordered a supplemental batch to make sure I had enough... one of life’s great pleasures

In your opinion is the French Press superior to the Aeropress?

No they are both different but both are far superior to instant coffee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Aeropress, good beans, even good quality ones ground from 3fe, coffee angel, silverskin or any of the many other good Irish coffee sellers (we do have some great options) is all you need for good coffee at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Yeah, I feel the pain.
    A while ago, I stopped purchasing instant coffee, and looking into switching to purchasing artisan wholebean coffee to grind and filter.

My chosen method is V60, but could try FrenchPress first.
    Leaning towards a burr grinder vs a hand grinder atm.

Onto my last jar of instant coffee now, eagerly awaiting the switch.
    Probably 1-2 months before I finish this jar, then purchase everything...

I've found this guide comparing home brewing methods.
    https://www.koobiescoffee.com/french-press-vs-chemex-vs-aeropress-vs-pour-over/

Like Appletart said previously there are four main options for manual home brewing.

Aeropress(like Espresso pressure method)
    Chemex(large volume Drip filter)
    French Press(Immersion + Plunger)
    A Pour Over(e.g a V60, slow pouring drip filter)

You need to use Ground coffee for all methods. You can grind the coffee beans yourself using a Grinder or buy pre ground coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

zweton wrote: »
    Sounds good, this is all new to me. By any chance is it possible to make a latte from an aeropress? I know theres no wand obviously but as an aside or something. I have an aeropress from years ago.

Unless you have a separate milk froather... Still wouldn't be the same as what your expectations are.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Aeropress, good beans, even good quality ones ground from 3fe, coffee angel, silverskin or any of the many other good Irish coffee sellers (we do have some great options) is all you need for good coffee at home.

Does the Aeropress produce only one serving at a time. If so is it much if a nuisance to use if your making coffee for a few people. Would a French Press be better for multiple brews.

Also is the V60 a very slow method if brewing for a few people. Is it mainly suitable for one serving at s time or can it provide multiple servings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Does the Aeropress produce only one serving at a time. If so is it much if a nuisance to use if your making coffee for a few people. Would a French Press be better for multiple brews.

Also is the V60 a very slow method if brewing for a few people. Is it mainly suitable for one serving at s time or can it provide multiple servings.

French press is ideal for larger groups as you can get a larger container.

Aeropress is really intended for single servings, you can brew a higher concentration and dilute for two but it's really meant for one.

V60 comes in 3 sizes, 01 and 02 are the standard sizes, you can comfortably brew 500ml of coffee with an 02 cone which is plenty for 2.
    03 is even larger, but it's an unusual size and hard to come by the larger 03 filters in Ireland.

J_E wrote: »
    French press is ideal for larger groups as you can get a larger container.

Aeropress is really intended for single servings, you can brew a higher concentration and dilute for two but it's really meant for one.

V60 comes in 3 sizes, 01 and 02 are the standard sizes, you can comfortably brew 500ml of coffee with an 02 cone which is plenty for 2.
    03 is even larger, but it's an unusual size and hard to come by the larger 03 filters in Ireland.

I think I'll go with the V60 to start and buy some pre ground beans to try it out.

After that I'll add a Grinder and Aeropress.

Thanks to all who helped out. I knew nothing of these methods before so it's been really educational.

In the meantime I looked up how Instant coffee is made and I was stunned. It's no wonder there is no flavour left.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

We've been using aeropress since coffee shops closed. There's only 2 of us and it's fantastic but definitely not practical if you're making coffee for more people.

Ordered coffee online from cloud picker, they and I presume most others will grind it for you when you order. Delicious. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Power City sell cheap coffee grinders. Tesco sell coffee beans. We'd go through one or two bags of coffee beans a week in my house. Never could justify the rip off price of coffee shops in Dublin

lozenges wrote: »
    We've been using aeropress since coffee shops closed. There's only 2 of us and it's fantastic but definitely not practical if you're making coffee for more people.

Ordered coffee online from cloud picker, they and I presume most others will grind it for you when you order. Delicious. :)

Just found this while searching how to brew two servings at a time with the aeropress.

You can either dilute a higher concentrated single serving or use the Pour Over method using an Aeropress. See link
    https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/aeropress/2-ways-brew-aeropress-coffee-for-two

On a different topic
    I have Espresso capsules but don't have an espresso machine.Whats the best way of piercing these to make coffee without a machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Just found this while searching how to brew two servings at a time with the aeropress.

You can either dilute a higher concentrated single serving or use the Pour Over method using an Aeropress. See link
    https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/aeropress/2-ways-brew-aeropress-coffee-for-two

Thanks, will check it out! :)

I think you should get both aeropress and a large french press. The large french press is perfect if you have guests over and they are very cheap to buy.

Instant is disguising, I'd go without if that was the only choice.

I think you should get both aeropress and a large french press. The large french press is perfect if you have guests over and they are very cheap to buy.

Instant is disguising, I'd go without if that was the only choice.

I might do. Does anyone know if the French Press below which was recommended earlier by Appletart has good insulation. I've read that Coffee can go cold in French Presses quickly.
    https://shop.3fe.com/product/timemore-french-press

On a different topic
    I have Espresso capsules but don't have an espresso machine.Whats the best way of piercing these to make coffee without a machine?

Now I just think your taking the Mick...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Aeropress

v60 Dripper

French Press

Hand Grinder

that f**cking hand grinder :mad:

get electric would be my advice

also - I got that same one for about €20 on Amazon before Christmas.. €65 is gouging

lawred2 wrote: »

also - I got that same one for about €20 on Amazon before Christmas.. €65 is gouging

It was my understanding that you had to get a very expensive electric grinder to compete with the consistency of grind from a hand grinder.

It's not something I have any knowledge of, does anyone have more info?

Now I just think your taking the Mick...
    Ive seen videos where these capsules can be used by cutting the foil and submerging them in a mug until the coffee filters out. Theres different ways of doing it. I didn't ask the question in the right way. I've no idea what the quality of the coffee would be after doing it this way.

Is the coffee in the capsules superior to instant?
    lawred2 wrote: »

Thanks for pointing out the price difference. Appletart did say though that there are delays in Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

OP, you sound like a coffee lover. So I would go for Aeropress. It gives the best taste. French press is like brewing coffee in a cup. I actually hate this taste. And any coffee capsules are rubbish, you won't get this real espresso taste from them.

Because you use additional pressure to filter your coffee in Aeropress, so you will squeeze all the taste from it.

I use it for two people, so if you want it for guests just buy two. I use two filters with it metal plus a paper one.

But all this is to brew espresso shots. If you want to make Cappuccino or Latte, you have to have a milk frother: electric (using steam or a spinning part) or manual (it looks like a French press).

And if I have to drink instant coffee, so I like Azera Americano the most.

Advertisement