Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Lawn - Noobie

Options
  • 17-04-2020 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi.

This is my lawn at the moment.

It's a little patchy and seems to have lots of yellow grass. Not sure if that's dead or not?
    I have no idea how to start improving it.
    Should I throw some fertiliser on it? If so, can anyone recommend some?
    I assume i need to put some seeds onto the patches with no grass?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If I was you I'd rake out the dead stuff, or thatch.
    You might get a lot of it and it might look bare afterwards. You could then reseed the baldy bits.

It also could be doing with a good feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Regie93

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Hi.

This is my lawn at the moment.

It's a little patchy and seems to have lots of yellow grass. Not sure if that's dead or not?
    I have no idea how to start improving it.
    Should I throw some fertiliser on it? If so, can anyone recommend some?
    I assume i need to put some seeds onto the patches with no grass?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It's not completely dead, Zak. Our lawn looks very similar after dry weather and if I missed mowing in the spring, so you might be able to revive it.
    First of all I would give it a good rake to get the dead brown thatch out, and then water well especially if it's a new-laid lawn (but be careful with over-watering though, in our climate it's quite easy to drown the roots, so I use a simple Melnor sprinkler and turn it on rather occasionally).
    As for feeding, you should be looking for a high nitrogen feed = high NPK value helps grass grow. Many guys here use Miracle-Gro so do I.
    073561001830.jpg?size=xl
    High nitrogen fertilizer will probably do the job at the expense of having to cut the lawn more often, but remember not to remove more than one third of the leaf length.
    When fixing the patches, I just put down top soil and mix in seed + temporary extra watering (unless it rains heavy ofc).
    Guess that's all for the beginning.

Just in case, I've already linked to this source in the other thread, but once again, you might find it helpful, so I'll just leave it here: http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about243.html

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Regie93 wrote: »
    It's not completely dead, Zak. Our lawn looks very similar after dry weather and if I missed mowing in the spring, so you might be able to revive it.
    First of all I would give it a good rake to get the dead brown thatch out, and then water well especially if it's a new-laid lawn (but be careful with over-watering though, in our climate it's quite easy to drown the roots, so I use a simple Melnor sprinkler and turn it on rather occasionally).
    As for feeding, you should be looking for a high nitrogen feed = high NPK value helps grass grow. Many guys here use Miracle-Gro so do I.
    073561001830.jpg?size=xl
    High nitrogen fertilizer will probably do the job at the expense of having to cut the lawn more often, but remember not to remove more than one third of the leaf length.
    When fixing the patches, I just put down top soil and mix in seed + temporary extra watering (unless it rains heavy ofc).
    Guess that's all for the beginning.

Just in case, I've already linked to this source in the other thread, but once again, you might find it helpful, so I'll just leave it here: http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about243.html

Good luck :)

Hi. Thanks very much for your detailed message. I can get started so.

One quick question...will I just get general lawn seed?

Advertisement