Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radiator tails too far from wall

• 17-04-2020 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

I found a little leak on floor under a radiator and tightening the nut on valve fixed it.
    However I notice the rad is not hanging right on the brackets as it seems the tails coming through the concrete floor are too far from the wall.
    It there any way I can get the rad onto the brackets properly and connect the tail to the valve. If I take off the valve to do this the the tail will be too far from the rad to connect the valve. Tail is copper and even if I could bend it, that would shorten it.

I suppose I could leave on the valves and attach then usin short flexipipes. Not sure if that’s safe though

Thanks if you can advise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭LimerickGray

Nobody?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Nobody?

I'm not a plumber but those 2 brackets holding the rad to the wall. There's 2 ways that some of them can be fixed to the wall. One way keeps the rad nearer to the wall if you follow me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

From the picture it looks like the sofa has been pushed back against the rad and over a period of time thats why the rad has taken on that odd angle? So I wonder if you might have to fix the leak again at some later date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The bottom part of the rad isn’t sitting into the bracket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No way that softa moved the feed pipe and valve to that angle. It also couldn't lift the rad of the bottom of the bracket.

Looks like it was angled that way to make it fit by who ever fitted it.

To do it properly I assume you'd have drain the system, disconnect the radiator. Remount it on the bracket then adjust the pipe work to fit. Refill the system.

• Advertisement

Incidentally a small board between the skirting board and the rear feet of the sofa will stop it moving back and hitting the radiator. Sofa too close will absorb all the heat and it won't radiate into the room efficiently.

beauf wrote: »
    No way that softa moved the feed pipe and valve to that angle. It also couldn't lift the rad of the bottom of the bracket.

Looks like it was angled that way to make it fit by who ever fitted it.

To do it properly I assume you'd have drain the system, disconnect the radiator. Remount it on the bracket then adjust the pipe work to fit. Refill the system.

The sofa would not have moved the feed pipe or stressed the valve do much I think.
    I I remount the rad properly, the valve will be too far from the feed to connect them. What way do I go about it? I was thinking of short flex hose as bay far the easiest but will it fail or is it ok?
    Suppose I’ll need nipples to put on end of the flex pipes to connect to the copper.

Any other viable option?

Thanks for advice

Flexible pipe, or take the bracket off, and put some packing behind it to move it out slightly. A plumber would know better.

beauf wrote: »
    Flexible pipe, or take the bracket off, and put some packing behind it to move it out slightly. A plumber would know better.

Can flexible hose pipe be used to connect a radiator?

No idea not a plumber. Mine are all done with Qual-Pex. Not a fan personally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement