Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another inept waste of public money.

Options
  • 17-04-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

Despite the lockdown and risk to public
    health of having people going door
    to door delivering leaflets in letterboxes and the chain of printing, supply and distribution for 2 million households - I came home to a 14 page printed bookle from the HSE t ENTIRELY AS GAEILGE. ffs

Is stupid just endemic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

It wouldn't be printed complete in Irish, I'd be surprised at that, more than likely dual language.

That said, it's in our constitution that Irish is the primary language.
    So we'd need a referendum to demote the Irish language for English.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Another moaner!!! Can you not give that booklet back via your nearest Health Centre. Or maybe you know more than the HSE about Covid-19 & have lost your knowledge of Irish:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd imagine that like most gov info leaflets.
    That if you turn it around and upside down that the English version will magically appear!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Another moaner!!! Can you not give that booklet back via your nearest Health Centre. Or maybe you know more than the HSE about Covid-19 & have lost your knowledge of Irish:rolleyes:

Leaflet delivered by the usual cohort of boyos from the back of a minivan was ENTIRELY in Irish - not only high risk to deliver but f all use to the majority who will get it. In the meantime police patrols checkpointung & gaurding the gates to the parks and telling people to go home from the beaches but a van full of boyos can go door to door breathing in letterboxes and shoving booklets the majority cannot understand into private houses. Of course this is AFTER the announcement that covid19 has a lifespan on surfaces outside the body and can last 72 hours on card & paper. You couldn’t make it up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Could you put up a few pictures of this ENTIRELY Irish LEAFLET? I've just never seen any HSE leaflets like that so I'm just CURIOUS.

• Advertisement

Peregrine wrote: »
    Could you put up a few pictures of this ENTIRELY Irish LEAFLET? I've just never seen any HSE leaflets like that so I'm just CURIOUS.

2nd'd
    Even just front cover and back cover will do!

banie01 wrote: »
    2nd'd
    Even just front cover and back cover will do!

All 14 pages AS Gaeilge formthe city of Dublin and no backflip to English. A total farce.

All 14 pages AS Gaeilge formthe city of Dublin and no backflip to English. A total farce.

Thanks for that.
    A dig around the HSE website shows that they did indeed split out the booklets into Irish and English.
    I'd love to know who was the functionary who authorised printing and distribution of the Irish version in Dublin tho!

English

Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Despite the lockdown and risk to public
    health of having people going door
    to door delivering leaflets in letterboxes and the chain of printing, supply and distribution for 2 million households - I came home to a 14 page printed bookle from the HSE t ENTIRELY AS GAEILGE. ffs

Is stupid just endemic?

Blame those that brought in the Irish Languages Act. It is a piece of legislation brought in by a Fianna Fail government to promote the language and requires that such documents be provided in both Irish and English.

P.S. Why were you out in order to come home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I got that booklet ( in my first language) last week

OP is Bulls***ing

or maybe just a snowflake

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    A dig around the HSE website shows that they did indeed split out the booklets into Irish and English.
    I'd love to know who was the functionary who authorised printing and distribution of the Irish version in Dublin tho!

English

Irish

They did it for the lulz

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Go raibh maith agat. Seems like a mistake. I don't think it was delivered AS GAEILGE to every household in the country.

As for leafletting itself, it is necessary to get accurate information to every household. Not everyone is able to find the necessary information online and a lot of the people who look online are getting bombarded with false information. I do hope that the leaflets were handled properly.

I would suggest calming down a tiny bit. It's not that dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Did all your neighbours get just the Irish one? Did you check before jumping on a keyboard?

Any chance one of the "boyos from the back of a minivan" was down to the last one and shoved that in your letter box, before going back to get more English and Irish ones?

Did all your neighbours get just the Irish one? Did you check before jumping on a keyboard?

Any chance one of the "boyos from the back of a minivan" was down to the last one and shoved that in your letter box, before going back to get more English and Irish ones?

I’m not going door to door knocking to ask them and I doubt i was singled out to be the sole recipient of the full Irish version - entirely as Gaeilge with not a word on english in it. A total waste of money in an area that even the most inept statistician could look up on their census figures and know the cast majority are not gaelgeoirs. As for the wisdom of leafleting And shoving things through door after door and going house to house and having teams of people in minivans doing this all over the f’ing country - usual non joined up non thinking and non organising. Or maybe their friends in the print business just needed a cash boost. I find the whole thing sickening and an absolute waste and a risk we did not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I’m not going door to door knocking to ask them and I doubt i was singled out to be the sole recipient of the full Irish version - entirely as Gaeilge with not a word on english in it. A total waste of money in an area that even the most inept statistician could look up on their census figures and know the cast majority are not gaelgeoirs. As for the wisdom of leafleting And shoving things through door after door and going house to house and having teams of people in minivans doing this all over the f’ing country - usual non joined up non thinking and non organising. Or maybe their friends in the print business just needed a cash boost. I find the whole thing sickening and an absolute waste.

So you didn't.

You just decided to mouth off here instead, trying to turn it into "what's the point of the Irish language" thing. Instead of realising there could be many explanations different to the one conclusion you jumped to.

The minvan boyo's are lacking. The organisers inept by not knowing the actual address of all the Gaeilgeoirí in Ireland. And they're guilty of corruption with the printers.:rolleyes:

As for the unnecessary health risk in delivering them, why not tell the post person/ courier to F.O. when they next call to your door.

Advertisement