Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat 5e house wiring

Options
  • 17-04-2020 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    We moved into a house built in 2006/2007 and there are approx 7/8 phone connections in bedrooms and other rooms in the house. None of these have been connected to the cat 5e cable behind the wall plates. My question is I would like to use these as a small home network but I can't find where all these wires come back to. Tried attic. Beside fuse box etc/ under stairs. Anyone any ideas ?
    Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

dar_cool wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    We moved into a house built in 2006/2007 and there are approx 7/8 phone connections in bedrooms and other rooms in the house. None of these have been connected to the cat 5e cable behind the wall plates. My question is I would like to use these as a small home network but I can't find where all these wires come back to. Tried attic. Beside fuse box etc/ under stairs. Anyone any ideas ?
    Thanks for reading

Check near your alarm panel

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Place I have seen them go back to
    Beside fuse board
    Beside alarm panel
    Attic
    Under stairs
    Eircom box outside house usually near esb gas meter
    They could go back to a single point in hallway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Thanks lads,
    Would it come back as a single cable or would all of them come back there? There is a box outside beside ESB meter but only a single cable is inside it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

meath4sam wrote: »
    They could go back to a single point in hallway

This may be likely

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Darando

If they are Cat5/5e then each cable is unique, so if you have 5 locations/faceplates then they usually run back to the same place but it will be 5 cables not a single cable.

Unless it's not Cat5 (8 wires) and it's just phone cable you are seeing behind the faceplates. Cat5e connection is not phone connections (RJ-11, 4 cables) in case that's not clear

• Advertisement

Darando wrote: »
    If they are Cat5/5e then each cable is unique, so if you have 5 locations/faceplates then they usually run back to the same place but it will be 5 cables not a single cable.

Unless it's not Cat5 (8 wires) and it's just phone cable you are seeing behind the faceplates. Cat5e connection is not phone connections (RJ-11, 4 cables) in case that's not clear
    Thanks for that. They are definitely cat 5e it's printed on the side of the cable. I will have to do a bit more rooting around but all of the above places I have checked and still can't find them
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Is there only one or two cat 5 cables behind each phone point

Only 1 cable . They just haven't been connected to the wall plate

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Darando

They will usually terminate indoors and in the same place as typically installed for network points not phones. Unlikely the house has floorboards downstairs so that saves guessing they’re under there!

Attic if not converted might be the easy check..see what direction your cable heads on the upstairs points..up to attic or to floor...it’s a start!

By any chance is there a patch panel somewhere you haven’t noticed what it is? (Unlikely if not terminated at the points in the wall)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It wouldn't be unusual to see these brought into to a utility room, the could be above one of the upper presses or even behind them. I've also see wiring like this slabbed over by the guys boarding the house.

You could connect a tone generator to one of the points and try sniff out the wirring, but unless your in very close proximity it might not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

You need a TDR tester, it will measure the length of an ethernet cable run. From measuring at few points, you should be able to work out where they all are going to.

A good TDR is not cheap though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could connect a tone generator to one of the points and try sniff out the wirring, but unless your in very close proximity it might not work.

That is a sure fire solution. See if you can get a loan if one.

Thanks guys,
    I was up in the attic having a good root around and can see all the cat 5 cables from upstairs going on the same path as the electric wires but loose sight of them then

Advertisement