Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB - Card expiring

• 17-04-2020 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

I’m an AIB customer. My debit card will expire at the end of the month. I called into my local branch at the beginning of the month, just wanted to check if my new card was on the way. The lady at the counter said that it would probably be sent out in a couple of weeks but that if I hadn’t received it by the 15th April to phone them, so I did that yesterday, couldn’t get through to the number all day.
    I tried again all this morning.... no luck. So I again went into my local branch at lunchtime and explained all of the above. I was told that a new card had been sent out to me in the latter half of March - I didn’t get any card....
    So I asked could they cancel the one I was sent (never got it) and re-issue another. They said they can’t do that without stopping my current card for a period of 5-6 days. I can’t be without my card right now - I have payments linked to it and the majority of shops around me are asking for card payments only, not cash.
    Don’t know what to do...
    Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

twirlagig wrote: »
    I’m an AIB customer. My debit card will expire at the end of the month. I called into my local branch at the beginning of the month, just wanted to check if my new card was on the way. The lady at the counter said that it would probably be sent out in a couple of weeks but that if I hadn’t received it by the 15th April to phone them, so I did that yesterday, couldn’t get through to the number all day.
    I tried again all this morning.... no luck. So I again went into my local branch at lunchtime and explained all of the above. I was told that a new card had been sent out to me in the latter half of March - I didn’t get any card....
    So I asked could they cancel the one I was sent (never got it) and re-issue another. They said they can’t do that without stopping my current card for a period of 5-6 days. I can’t be without my card right now - I have payments linked to it and the majority of shops around me are asking for card payments only, not cash.
    Don’t know what to do...
    Anyone else in the same boat?

Are payments linked to the card or the account? Canceling a card shouldn't impact any underlying payments (DD's and SO's) from the account.

A short term solution for card payments could be to set up an n26 or revolut account. From what I remember they're pretty quick at sending out a card. The set up can all be done via for phone.

Simply transfer money from your AIB account to one of these and keep going with your tapping.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it's still on its way.

Regarding the suggestion to use Revolut as a card to bridge the gap, you can also get a virtual card on Revolut (providing your phone is NFC enabled, but most phones are) - meaning you use the card details and can pay contactless with your phone without having to wait for the Revolut card in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it's still on its way.

Regarding the suggestion to use Revolut as a card to bridge the gap, you can also get a virtual card on Revolut (providing your phone is NFC enabled, but most phones are) - meaning you use the card details and can pay contactless with your phone without having to wait for the Revolut card in the post.

You don’t need a physical Revolut card if your phone has NFC and supports Google Pay.

Advertisement