Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caps lock flashing, no screen - Compaq CQ56

Options
  • 17-04-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Seriously? To update the internal battery on a compaq cq56 I have to strip the entire laptop?

Screen is not turning on and the caps lock is flashing. Is there any solution apart from replacing the internal battery using the below abomination?

Before removing the RTC battery:
    1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn on
    the computer, and then shut it down through the operating system.
    2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.
    3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet
    and then unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.
    4. Remove the following components:
    a. Battery (see Battery on page 36)
    b. Hard drive (see Hard drive on page 37)
    c. WLAN module (see WLAN module on page 42)
    d. Memory module (see Memory module on page 44)
    e. Optical drive (see Optical drive on page 39)
    f. Keyboard (see Keyboard on page 46)
    g. Top cover (see Top cover on page 49)
    h. Display assembly (see Display assembly on page 59)
    i. System board (see System board on page 66)
    Remove the RTC battery:
    1. Position the system board upside down.
    2. Use a sharp, non-conductive tool to release the clip (1) that secures the battery to the system
    board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

that would be similar procedure for most laptops... :D

What makes you be so sure its CMOS battery?

Not claiming its not, but have you tried all other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

that would be similar procedure for most laptops... :D

What makes you be so sure its CMOS battery?

I thought most had to only remove back panel? Not also remove the fekking screen and keyboard!

I'm not sure it is the cmos battery. The flashing caps indicates a power problem. According to the answer's I've googled it can be due to the battery.
    I've tried the other solutions such as removing battery and owing on before reattaching the battery and trying again, removing and replacing ram so running out off options.

Seen one guy who remove a stock of ram and it resolved it for him. So I'll try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Just googled the model and watched a video of a disassembly. Yup - you do need to dismantle the whole thing to replace the CMOS battery. My laptop is the same - needs a full teardown to replace anything. That's why there is only about 4 screws holding it together :D

• Advertisement

Tried the ram fix, but the single flashing light indicates a cpu issue.

I'll blow it out and see what happens.

Edit: Nothing. That's what happens!

Tried the ram fix, but the single flashing light indicates a cpu issue.

I'll blow it out and see what happens.

Edit: Nothing. That's what happens!
    Does fan kick-in?

At this point you most likely will be dismantling it - full clean-up, thermal grease.

I've stripped it and replaced the cmos battery. No joy.

Cleaned it out too. No joy.

So I now need to remove the cpu and reseat it?

Edit : yes, fan kicks in.

I've stripped it and replaced the cmos battery. No joy.

Cleaned it out too. No joy.

So I now need to remove the cpu and reseat it?

Edit : yes, fan kicks in.
    You cant remove CPU on laptop, its embedded.
    you will have remove heat-sink - copper pipe + grills toward fan.
    Graphics might be separate chip - two blobs of paste. Check tube for videos for how-to.

Edit: depend on model, CPU could be NOT embedded and allow you to remove/replace

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tried the ram fix
    Although it'll take a bit, have you tried with one ram stick only, in each slot? Could the ram or ram slot be faulty?
    the single flashing light indicates a cpu issue.
    Where did you see this, and what single light is flashing?

• Advertisement

Something like this, ensure you clean them grills - usually full of cotton.

s-l225.jpg

the_syco wrote: »
    Although it'll take a bit, have you tried with one ram stick only, in each slot? Could the ram or ram slot be faulty?

Tried that already with no success. But will try again before stripping back down again.

Only question I have is that if it was heat sink would it not start when cool and then fail as the heat builds up?

the_syco wrote: »

As per the title, the caps lock light flashes once on and off approx once per second. From your link for pre 2015 machine a single blink relates to cpu.

Didn't work swapping the ram around the slots.

It was working in the morning for the user and then in the afternoon it would not start.

Only question I have is that if it was heat sink would it not start when cool and then fail as the heat builds up?
    Possibly, but you never shared what sequence machine goes through before POST code

Exact model ? Before 2015 models don't appear to see overheating so it could just say CPU problem. Replacing thermal just eliminates that possibility.

I would have thermal replaced on first dismantling as part of maintenance, but if POST says "CPU not functional" it could be already fried which i think you won't be able to confirm unless have replacement part.

It was working in the morning for the user and then in the afternoon it would not start.
    If you not end user then get as much as possible detail how machine stopped - was it powered down normally, shutdown itself or was left unattended and then discovered not booting

Edit:
    It was working in the morning
    = bed use?

If you not end user then get as much as possible detail how machine stopped - was it powered down normally, shutdown itself or was left unattended and then discovered not booting

Edit:
    = bed use?

No. Elderly person only uses it for online mass and emails! It is clean in side. Was turned off normally and when they went to turn it on again, no joy.

Anyhow, step down again and hopefully I've enough paste for the job. I have rubbing alcohol to clean them with too, but limited paste.
    Question is what is the white stuff that goes over the second smaller chip - graphics I believe.
    Does it need replaced and can I use the paste I have.

Possibly, but you never shared what sequence machine goes through before POST code

Exact model ? Before 2015 models don't appear to see overheating so it could just say CPU problem. Replacing thermal just eliminates that possibility.

I would have thermal replaced on first dismantling as part of maintenance, but if POST says "CPU not functional" it could be already fried which i think you won't be able to confirm unless have replacement part.

Sequence? The screen never illuminates. Just flashing caps lock.

Model: cq56-107sa

No. Elderly person only uses it for online mass and emails! It is clean in side. Was turned off normally and when they went to turn it on again, no joy.

Anyhow, step down again and hopefully I've enough paste for the job. I have rubbing alcohol to clean them with too, but limited paste.
    Question is what is the white stuff that goes over the second smaller chip - graphics I believe.
    Does it need replaced and can I use the paste I have.
    Damn, this is thermal pad.

Usually in case where pads used distance from heat-pipe to chip will be greater and i don't think thermal paste is good for such gap.
    If not damaged you "might" be OK reusing it, however, it should be replaced with new

I didn't have thermal pad so I left it. It was intact.

However still no joy. Really annoying me as the elderly relative lives alone and uses this to get her mass and communicate with family.

Is there any further diagnostics I can perform to analyse this issue?

• Advertisement

Damn, this is thermal pad.

Usually in case where pads used distance from heat-pipe to chip will be greater and i don't think thermal paste is good for such gap.
    If not damaged you "might" be OK reusing it, however, it should be replaced with new

If it was thermal related would it not go for a while and then shutdown due to insufficient cooling?
    There must be something physically wrong or something has latched a fault which is preventing reboot.
    I've tried attaching the laptop to a monitor to see if there is any output, but no.

Not sure where to go from here. It definitely was not roughly handled, I know that. It must be a component failure or something!

Is there any further diagnostics I can perform to analyse this issue?
    You seem to have ruled out all potential causes.... CPU was the pointer by POST code

Unless you get replacement CPU or machine that use same CPU, i cant think of other means. Yours CPU - AMP320SGR22GM
    AMD Athlon II P320 processor (2.1 GHz, 1-MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz, 3.2 GT/s)—dual-core 25 W
    quick search show they available from €5 on Ali

Supported upgrade models listed in that service manual (page 75) and not much more expensive

Shipping time ... you know yourself

Unfortunately so. I was hoping to be able to perform some checks to ensure it was the cpu.

I've looked at this one
    AMD-Athlon II Dual-Core P360 AMP360SGR22GM Laptop CPU Processor 2.3Ghz

Would I need to change the ram for this?

Was thinking I may as well get a better processor when I'm at it, if it fits. I'd rather not wait for Chinese mail to come through. So, is my only option a refurbished one?

I'll get a p360 then.

Can only get refurbished ones, but so be it.

I'll get a p360 then.

Can only get refurbished ones, but so be it.
    Hope you not paying top dollar for it...

Around £10, max £15.

Is that the right price range?

Around £10. Is that the right price range?
    I don't want to wait for a Chinese supplier delivering in as I want to return this ASAP to her for use.

I presume there are no further tests I can do on the processor?

P340 (£7.49):
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Athlon-II-P340-2-2GHz-Laptop-CPU-Processor-CPU17/202955907341?epid=1004730858&hash=item2f411d610d:g:GUYAAOSw9tteiJqo

P320 (£4.29):
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Athlon-II-P320-2-1-Ghz-AMP320SGR22GM-CPU-Processor-CPU18/202955922886?epid=1904926908&hash=item2f411d9dc6:g:rRQAAOSwUyZeiKMA

Thermal Pad 50mm x 50mm 5cm x 1mm (£1.92):
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HY100-50mm-x-50mm-5cm-x-1mm-THERMAL-TRANSFER-PAD-SELF-ADHESIVE-for-CPU-Heat-Sink/254210437810?hash=item3b301f72b2:g:e8oAAOSwPgxVLqpO

Thermal Paste (£1.99)

Around £10. Is that the right price range?
    I don't want to wait for a Chinese supplier delivering in as I want to return this ASAP to her for use.

I presume there are no further tests I can do on the processor?

P340 (£7.49):
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Athlon-II-P340-2-2GHz-Laptop-CPU-Processor-CPU17/202955907341?epid=1004730858&hash=item2f411d610d:g:GUYAAOSw9tteiJqo

P320 (£4.29):
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Athlon-II-P320-2-1-Ghz-AMP320SGR22GM-CPU-Processor-CPU18/202955922886?epid=1904926908&hash=item2f411d9dc6:g:rRQAAOSwUyZeiKMA

Thermal Pad 50mm x 50mm 5cm x 1mm (£1.92):
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HY100-50mm-x-50mm-5cm-x-1mm-THERMAL-TRANSFER-PAD-SELF-ADHESIVE-for-CPU-Heat-Sink/254210437810?hash=item3b301f72b2:g:e8oAAOSwPgxVLqpO

Thermal Paste (£1.99)
    I mean, if ~10-15 fine, but not 50 - for that or about money you probably would be able to source similar working laptop.

• Advertisement

I mean, if ~10-15 fine, but not 50 - for that or about money you probably would be able to source similar working laptop.

Ordered the p340 and other bits. Is there anything I need to be aware of when replacing the cpu?

Advertisement