Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone bought an apartment recently in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-04-2020 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Interested to know people's thoughts and views. Thinking of purchasing myself but not sure to wait. Also most on here seem to dislike apartments :|

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Interested to know people's thoughts and views. Thinking of purchasing myself but not sure to wait. Also most on here seem to dislike apartments :|

I'd be very careful , is it concrete dividing walls or stud partition ? You need to be very very careful with apartments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I'd be very careful , is it concrete dividing walls or stud partition ? You need to be very very careful with apartments

Still have to do another viewing and survey also so nothing definite yet but sale agreed.

Still have to do another viewing and survey also so nothing definite yet but sale agreed.

In apartment , I dont ever an on living or buying one again , but top floor , would be more bearable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Every country in the World have no issues with apartments. Even Irish people abroad have no issue

But ask them to look at one in Ireland and they come up with all sort of reasons

All you need to worry about is insulation, a block wall could be a block on its side and useless compared up a wooden stud with good insulation

Where are you buying? Is it brand new or build before the crash?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Every country in the World have no issues with apartments. Even Irish people abroad have no issue

But ask them to look at one in Ireland and they come up with all sort of craziness

All you need to worry about us insulation, a block wall could be a block on its side and useless compared up a wooden stud with good insulation

Are you serious? Nouse issues can be ridiculous in apartments here , but you know that in sure op, you said in your OP apartments dont seem popular, so you have 0bviousky researched this a bit

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

But ask them to look at one in Ireland and they come up with all sort of reasons

All you need to worry about is insulation, a block wall could be a block on its side and useless compared up a wooden stud with good insulation

Built in 2005 but I've already researched it in terms of build quality. Obviously full survey will be needed too.

There's thousands of apartments in Dublin so some people must enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Idbatterim wrote: »

Doesn't there have to be block walls as a fire break between them.

Built in 2005 but I've already researched it in terms of build quality. Obviously full survey will be needed too.

There's thousands of apartments in Dublin so some people must enjoy it!

Some and I mean some apartments in the boom didn’t have great insulation so noise could be an issue. I do say could because I know loads of people who bought I that era and no issues

The other things is maintenance you need to watch out for, some apartment have a shower of gangster running them. So much so the owners have taken them to court and got rid of them

Best option, do a survey as mentioned but knock around the neighbours and have a chat, see if resident association and get in contact for hints and tips, they won’t mind

Apartments are brilliant and will be more and more common

• Registered Users Posts: 9 srt8

Unless your buying a quality apartment that are £1m upwards, like the ones at Television Centre in London’s Shepherds Bush, the former HQ of BBC TV, I’d be very careful. I must admit you couldn’t here a jack hammer going next door in those apartments. The most expensive there is £7.2m four bedrooms but looks so palatial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 srt8

Unless your buying a quality apartment that are £1m upwards, like the ones at Television Centre in London’s Shepherds Bush, the former HQ of BBC TV, I’d be very careful. I must admit you couldn’t here a jack hammer going next door in those apartments. The most expensive there is £7.2m four bedrooms but looks so palatial.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bought one last year. Absolutely loving apartment living so far; really low maintenance/hassle.

That said; I'm in a top floor apartment (not much noise) in a good development. Dual aspect and floor to ceiling windows, so good lighting etc.

I did view a lot of crap along the way that probably would've been grim enough to live in. Don't buy a ground floor/North facing shoebox. If you can find a good one, then it's a great way to live I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I second talking to the neighbours if you can. Try and find out what the sound proofing is like, any fire issues, how well run the complex is.

We live in a lovely apartment, can barely hear the neighbours, lots of light, well run, great location for our money. Couldn't be happier.

Maintenance fees are relatively high, but we get what we pay for and there is a lot going into the sinking fund every year. Be wary of comparing apartments based on maintenance fees.

Definitely check out the accounts, and if you can't read accounts try and find a friend who can. Ask what % of the residents are paying their management fees.

hmmm wrote: »
    I second talking to the neighbours if you can. Try and find out what the sound proofing is like, any fire issues, how well run the complex is.

We live in a lovely apartment, can barely hear the neighbours, lots of light, well run, great location for our money. Couldn't be happier.

Maintenance fees are relatively high, but we get what we pay for and there is a lot going into the sinking fund every year. Be wary of comparing apartments based on maintenance fees.

Definitely check out the accounts, and if you can't read accounts try and find a friend who can. Ask what % of the residents are paying their management fees.

Cheers! Will the surveyor be able to assess sound proofing as well as fire protection?

Can I ask what area of Dublin is it? The one I am looking at gets light in the morning but shade in the evening which is a bit frustrating.

Cheers! Will the surveyor be able to assess sound proofing as well as fire protection?

Can I ask what area of Dublin is it? The one I am looking at gets light in the morning but shade in the evening which is a bit frustrating.

They will but nothing is as good as talking to neighbours

I lived in a house, semi d which was built in the boom. Honestly you could hear the tv next door, like actually hear the program if you turned off our tv. People walking about, in the bedrooms in the house you could hear everything from one room to another

Still it was up to all the regs. Of course in an apartment you will have some noise transfer but just get a guide from the neighbours, anyone I have talked to it isn’t bad at all, the horror stories you hear are normally from people who have never even spent a day in one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Unfortunately not. Your solicitor will be able to ask the management company whether they are aware of any issues.

Talking to neighbours was my best guide to the area and apartments. Felt a bit like a stalker hanging around outside the gates, but people understood. Renters in particular were very open.
    The one I am looking at gets light in the morning but shade in the evening which is a bit frustrating.
    I suppose this is a personal preference. We get sun in the morning and early afternoon and it's great, means we have a bright breakfast and lunch if we're around, and really warms the place up during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Interested to know people's thoughts and views. Thinking of purchasing myself but not sure to wait.

Property prices have been verging on stability/decline for a while. The current economic outlook is very bleak so it would be pertinent to wait at least several months to see what how post-pandemic recovery is going in case prices drop even further.

Property prices have been verging on stability/decline for a while. The current economic outlook is very bleak so it would be pertinent to wait at least several months to see what how post-pandemic recovery is going in case prices drop even further.

That's fair but it's taken me nearly 2 years to find a place I like that ticks most boxes so it's a hard call to let is pass.

Advertisement