Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to go on a spending spree when this is all over?

Options
  • 17-04-2020 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭

I am anyway, nights out, football trips,gigs, foreign holidays. Bring it on, life is too short not to, it will feel like getting out of prison id say.

Are you going to go on a spending spree when this is all over? 103 votes

Yes
    80% 83 votes
    No
    19% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Can't go on a spending spree when I have no money.... Overdraft is mounting due to lack of income due to covid19... Hoping everyone stays home so I can get back to work properly and start earning money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I am anyway, nights out, football trips,gigs, foreign holidays. Bring it on, life is too short not to, it will feel like getting out of prison id say.

You forgot hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

You forgot hookers.

Yeap lots of coke n hookers. Damn social isolation ruined it all.

The funny thing is there is people getting outa prison because of this literally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Yeap lots of coke n hookers. Damn social isolation ruined it all.

Exactly. I think my proverbial hookers joke was really clever, do you?

• Advertisement

Exactly. I think my proverbial hookers joke was really clever, do you?

I just elaborated, sorries

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope. I'm lucky in that my job and wage has been unaffected so far, and I could theoretically work from home indefinitely under normal circumstances... But like everyone else, it very much depends on how long a domestic and wider economic recovery takes to kick in.

So while I'm saving a fair bit of cash at the moment (and it's only really been a month or one paycheque for most remember), that's a short term thing I'd imagine, and if it turns out to be a sustainable thing for another few months, I'll be keeping every cent for a downturn, or (absolute best case) the makings of a deposit on an apartment/house - something generally impossible to do when renting plus long distance commuting plus all the other stuff we aren't currently spending money on.

I certainly won't be wasting money either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

No. If anything, this situation has taught me that I waste a lot of money on total bullsh1t normally.

I'm lucky to still be working. And absolutely blessed that I've never been better off financially. I'm thinking when normality resumes, I'll give more thought before handing over the plastic and tapping in the 4 digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭moby2101

Complete rethink of life job etc ... getting out and retirement many many years ahead of plan hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nope. I'm lucky in that my job and wage has been unaffected so far, and I could theoretically work from home indefinitely under normal circumstances... But like everyone else, it very much depends on how long a domestic and wider economic recovery takes to kick in.

So while I'm saving a fair bit of cash at the moment (and it's only really been a month or one paycheque for most remember), that's a short term thing I'd imagine, and if it turns out to be a sustainable thing for another few months, I'll be keeping every cent for a downturn, or (absolute best case) the makings of a deposit on an apartment/house - something generally impossible to do when renting plus long distance commuting plus all the other stuff we aren't currently spending money on.

I certainly won't be wasting money either way.

come on, live a little:) ah no only joking.

• Advertisement

BuboBubo wrote: »
    No. If anything, this situation has taught me that I waste a lot of money on total bullsh1t normally.

I'm lucky to still be working. And absolutely blessed that I've never been better off financially. I'm thinking when normality resumes, I'll give more thought before handing over the plastic and tapping in the 4 digits.

are holidays/gigs etc bull$hit? i was a total workaholic before this pandemic, im gonna make up for it once we get our freedom back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'll certainly enjoy a few nights out and looking forward to getting back to a game of football.

Lucky to still be working with pay unaffected so I'm in a good financial position, certainly won't piss away what I've saved but I'll enjoy some annual leave and maybe a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

come on, live a little:) ah no only joking.

No you're right to a point in fairness :) I see lots of people who live miserable lives while they save for a mortgage (that they can then worry about paying for most of their lives) and I don't see the point of that either.

It's a balance. Putting the bigger picture first but still trying to enjoy life a bit along the way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No.

I expect my pay to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Nope absolutely NOT going on a spending spree.

Wages currently are being paid and not spending anything.

the one thing I want? Just a night out to have fun, hug and enjoy my family and friends who I haven’t seen since December.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No you're right to a point in fairness :) I see lots of people who live miserable lives while they save for a mortgage (that they can then worry about paying for most of their lives) and I don't see the point of that either.

It's a balance. Putting the bigger picture first but still trying to enjoy life a bit along the way too.

I think this pandemic will be a wake up call to a lot of people about the importance of living in the moment,it could be one of the best things to happen to some of us. sure we could be hit by a bus tomorrow as they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I think this pandemic will be a wake up call to a lot of people about the importance of living in the moment,it could be one of the best things to happen to some of us. sure we could be hit by a bus tomorrow as they say.

You might not be hit by a bus either. Worth remembering too

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'll have a few nights out (with some thanks to the covid emergency payment) but obv have to be careful with what I spend as income might not be strong the next while

Was due to go to a few gigs in June but it's very likely they will be cancelled/postponed. Praying I'll be able to get to some in the Autumn/winter time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

If i could just rescue my August Holiday id be happy!!!
    What do ye reckon any hope of going to Lanza?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Probably not. Have saved loads by only spending what I need to. Plan to continue the saving. Won’t deny myself experiences, just stuff I don’t need. I’ve almost an extra 2.5k put aside since lockdown. Actually shocked at how much I’ve saved simply by not buying crap, cooking all meals, and not burning petrol. If I keep this up, I can throw an extra few grand at AVC every year and either retire a bit earlier, or on a better pension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I feel slightly rich because I'm not going out spending my money. Groceries and bills are the only expenditure. It dawned on my this week, if I get the virus and it wipes me out, I won't be able to take money to the grave with me. I decided I'm going to do my bit for the country and do some online shopping focusing on buying from Irish shops instead of amazon or beyond. I also supported some charities.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I feel slightly rich because I'm not going out spending my money. Groceries and bills are the only expenditure. It dawned on my this week, if I get the virus and it wipes me out, I won't be able to take money to the grave with me. I decided I'm going to do my bit for the country and do some online shopping focusing on buying from Irish shops instead of amazon or beyond. I also supported some charities.

over the last few years id say I was buying 90% of items I needed from amazon, I decided in January that I was going to start shopping in my local town as much as possible, like what good is spending it online with amazon, to sellers mostly in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Will i be on a spending spree when this is all over?

but sure i'm spending all around me these past few weeks > online shopping

*bargain alerts is my go to forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    If i could just rescue my August Holiday id be happy!!!
    What do ye reckon any hope of going to Lanza?

I'd be fairly pessimistic. Not in anyway informed just gut feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Might spend it all on the divorce

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I don’t know how people are saving extra money through this. Clearly I didn’t go out spending as much as others because I’d no extra money at the end of last month and it looks like I’m going to be the same this month.

The only thing I’m spending less on is takeaway but that was a health-conscious choice my partner and I decided to work on a while ago, not a corona choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I guess if your working from home and still on full pay your laughing.

If your pay has gone from 600,700,800 euro etc a week after tax to 350 your really not going to be in the mood.

Under the Tories in the UK you would be getting 80% of your wages up to 2500 sterling a month.

Pretty much every QS,engineer,site manager,project manager in the company I work for are very angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Most probably yes, looking forward to my favourite restaurants and bars reopening and will definitely be supporting them when they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably, it will be important to inject a lot of money into local economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭maneno

I guess if your working from home and still on full pay your laughing.

If your pay has gone from 600,700,800 euro etc a week after tax to 350 your really not going to be in the mood.

Under the Tories in the UK you would be getting 80% of your wages up to 2500 sterling a month.

Pretty much every QS,engineer,site manager,project manager in the company I work for are very angry.

Wouldn’t your company sign up for the subsidy so that the mentioned get their full wages?

Advertisement