Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to go on a spending spree when this is all over?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

People will also need to remember that E350 you get will be taxed later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭maneno

I don’t know how people are saving extra money through this. Clearly I didn’t go out spending as much as others because I’d no extra money at the end of last month and it looks like I’m going to be the same this month.

The only thing I’m spending less on is takeaway but that was a health-conscious choice my partner and I decided to work on a while ago, not a corona choice.

No transport/petrol, Creche fees for some parents that’s like saving equivalent of a grand a month, cooking own food, no holidays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Not a spending spree, No. But we will plan a family holiday to make up for the 2 we are missing during this crisis.
    We had also planned some renovation to our house (Bathroom) due to start in May which we have now postponed but would like to continue with that when this is over.

We are spending less in general. Obviously, spending more on Groceries, Electricity and Gas.
    But less on Diesel, socializing, Sporting Events, Concerts, Kids Activities (a big one!) etc. Will also get partial refund from Health Insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

No. I'll only spend money on the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

No, I'm shocked at how much I used to spend on crap. One a week max when things get back to normal. Yes we'll be going one holidays but that's because we were supposed to be going on holidays to the Canaries...

...today. Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I'll err on the side of continuing to save most of my money, but I'll attend gigs with absolutely unbelievable enthusiasm. Even more than I used to. Last night was a hard one, no bands I liked were doing live gigs for the first Friday in ages so I just did my own one. It was fun, it's class the way your friends and family and people you met one time and total strangers all come together and get involved. It made my night!

That's presuming we'll be able to gather in crowds at some point, of course. I'm obviously not going to be going anywhere until there's no chance of getting infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

I will be but not massively :) I've saved a fortune by not buying coffees nearly every day! And also the heaven shop called Penneys!!

Won't go mad but a few nice meals and drinks with family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'm going to go back living the way I was. Spend and save. If my job goes, well, I'll just have to do something else.

In fact, having a family member ill with virus has even made me more determined to live my life as I have been, responsibly and take ownership for my own decisions. You see people here going on about what others earn, teachers, civil servants and watching what others spend and commenting negatively. Same as when someone gets a new car for example. One guy said here he says to people "happy new bank loan'.

Same people would be way better of saving that energy and concentrating on themselves, you can only fix what is within your own control , so head down and focus on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I'll be picking up a Panerai Luminor Marina I had my eye on before this thing kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

No wont be going on a massive spending spree but have paid off around 2k personal debt since started so now hoping to be in a better financial position after this. We are both still working so thats a positive but would have spent freely before this and have now decided to set up a rainy day fund so hope once things start going back to normal will continue with it! No holidays now this year so that will also save money but will plan another one or two for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I voted yes. I'm on a pension and my income has not been affected by the pandemic. I know many others who are struggling now, and therefore am quick to count my blessings.

When its over, it will be vital that the economy recover as quickly as possible. My own modest contribution to that, will be to get some home improvements done with the money I'm saving right now. At least I'll have a new kitchen *and someone will have an additional week's wages out of it.

If everyone in my position does this, it will make a difference, I'm just hoping it'll be significant when all added together.

* I'm not pretending to be all noble or anything, its a win-win I hope.

Keep safe all, and I hope everyone comes out the other side sane, and suffering as little financially as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Well, I am going to a pub. Shops may remain closed for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

We can talk ourselves into a recession, or spend our way out of one. I'm choosing the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Due to the unlikelihood of a decent family holiday this year we are planning on a large climbing frame & play house for the kids and also treat ourselves to a swim spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Over?
    M'eh!
    I'm spending now!

Gotta keep the Chinese and our Courier services ticking over ;)

On a more serious note, I am trying to ensure any spend I do make stays local.
    Lots of trips to my local shop but that said, buying anything big ticket or luxury?
    tTe likelihood is your buying something with a large portion of foreign economic/labour input and not a lot staying in Ireland other than costs and tax.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

maneno wrote: »
    Wouldn’t your company sign up for the subsidy so that the mentioned get their full wages?

Theres a limit if you earn about that limit your company cant apply

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

anewme wrote: »
    I'm going to go back living the way I was. Spend and save. If my job goes, well, I'll just have to do something else.

In fact, having a family member ill with virus has even made me more determined to live my life as I have been, responsibly and take ownership for my own decisions. You see people here going on about what others earn, teachers, civil servants and watching what others spend and commenting negatively. Same as when someone gets a new car for example. One guy said here he says to people "happy new bank loan'.

Same people would be way better of saving that energy and concentrating on themselves, you can only fix what is within your own control , so head down and focus on that.

Couldn't agree more with all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

pgj2015 wrote: »
    are holidays/gigs etc bull$hit? i was a total workaholic before this pandemic, im gonna make up for it once we get our freedom back.

No, picking up snacks whilst paying for petrol, buying snacks on my way home from work to munch in the car, going to Tesco for a wander and lobbing random sh1te into a basket is bullsh1t imo.

Holidays and gigs are money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

We are going to be fleeced with taxes to pay the rents, dole and children’s allowance of those who lost their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

It's not as if the restrictions will all be lifted at once and life will be 'normal' again, so not really. I'm massively looking forward to travelling abroad again, but everything else I'll just buy what I need when it's available. Looking forward to clothes shops reopening and buying some nice new clothes, as I brought very few over to London with me and they're already destroyed from washing them over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No.

My job has been unaffected and still getting and expect to continue getting my pay but I, sadly, never go mad anyway*sigh*.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

I have been saving an absolute fortune the last few weeks. Still on full pay. No coffee trips, no work lunch, no tolls, and very little fuel. Then we would usually eat out 2+ times a week, can't get a haircut, gym paused, no nights out or cinema. No life.

Under normal circumstances I would be blowing every penny. But, apart from visiting a few restaurants I won't be doing any extra spending when it's all over. I'm trying to save for a mortgage. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

new overdue replacement car + holiday both about 5 years overdue .. assuming we get the summer out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

nj27 wrote: »
    I'll be picking up a Panerai Luminor Marina I had my eye on before this thing kicked off.

a bit off topic

Generally those Panerai watches are considered NWBIG (Not Worth Buying In General) :pac: on replica watches forums. Chinese copies are just too good and It may be actually difficult to sell a gen when you need to move it on, because everybody assumes it's a replica.

I have a genuine omega and was accused that it is a replica by some angry keyboard warrior when I put an ad on the Adverts because I had no papers and the serial was not there (as is the case with the watches sold by non-official dealers at a discount). Watch is gen 100%

I got myself a good Panerai replica last year and I'm absolutely pleased with it. I prefer my IWC Pilot Chrono and the brass Zenith Pilot replicas though. Both NWBIG:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

No - I'm only getting the covid payment which is a lot less than my usual salary unfortunately. I was lucky to be able to give up my house share; I was only a licencee, lived there only a month before having to move out. I'm back in the home house with my family for the last 6 weeks and need to save enough for deposit and rent for when I have to move back to take up my job again :( Have also continued to save a little towards the mortgage fund and still have outgoings such as car loan and health insurance etc to look after.

Can't wait to get back working and earning again. I'll certainly be more conscious of my money staying local as much as possible from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We are going to be fleeced with taxes to pay the rents, dole and children’s allowance of those who lost their jobs.

That was already the case so I shudder to think what lies in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm lucky, still have job and no pay cuts- but who's to say what the knock-on effects would be down the road?
    I'm torn between wanting to help the economy back into life by spending at the same time being cautious for fear of what may come down the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

for some people this will be the wake up call they need.

i dont know how I will be. I imagine initially ill be so happy to go for lunch, or breakfast, stroll around Dundrum or town and do some shopping. But i think ill slip back into my usual routine.
    Im not wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Luckily I have not been effected financially. I won’t be going on a massive spending spree but I will be making a very definite effort to spend more in my local town, all of the businesses there have been hammered. No more online shopping if I can get it locally, even if it’s a small bit dearer which it usually isn’t to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement