Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New normal and driving test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Lundstram wrote: »

Peoples lives are on hold until they can get a full license.

It's a nightmare situation and it will also affect our kids. I'm a single parent and my test was cancelled. My mother was my accompanying driver. She works as a carer for the HSE so we will need to be very cautious even when the restrictions are relaxed a bit.

As it stands if there's an emergency the only person who could drive my kids anywhere is me.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭woody84

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..timely posts: I wrote to RSA today on this as, motorcycles being solo by nature, there is no social distancing compromise to undertake motorcycle tests: they could be done very easily: especially when you consider the waiting lists - this is time that could have been used to shorten them considerably.

The way it is now, my son will have progressed (age-eligibility-wise) from A1 to A2 whilst in the queue for A1 test............so we'll have to start A2 IBT all over again - including the expense.....

I contacted them too about this as I'm waiting to do my test too. Heard nothing back yet. Apart from sitting in the room with the examiner prior to the test, which I'm sure can be worked around, there should be no reason for the test not to go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

woody84 wrote: »
    I contacted them too about this as I'm waiting to do my test too. Heard nothing back yet. Apart from sitting in the room with the examiner prior to the test, which I'm sure can be worked around, there should be no reason for the test not to go ahead.

I've been enquiring the same myself re motorcycles but the response I got made it seem it wasn't exactly up to them, maybe more up to the transport minister office

Would it be worth contacting the office of Shane Ross ?

I've been enquiring the same myself re motorcycles but the response I got made it seem it wasn't exactly up to them, maybe more up to the transport minister office

Worth a shot as it seems he's hasn't taken motorcycles into consideration at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Worth a shot as it seems he's hasn't taken motorcycles into consideration at all.

Can I suggest that you (all) write to both Shane Ross AND the RSA on this, making the case for motorcycle test being socially-distant-complying as 'standard'.

I know several others have done so, and I've cc'd my 2 local politicos as well.

The more this question is raised, the more likely it will be looked at.

Email addresses are:
    shane.ross@oireachtas.ie
    drivingtest@rsa.ie

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Can I suggest that you (all) write to both Shane Ross AND the RSA on this, making the case for motorcycle test being socially-distant-complying as 'standard'.

Email addresses are:
    shane.ross@oireachtas.ie
    drivingtest@rsa.ie

I emailed both yesterday. I'm not really expected a reply tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I emailed both yesterday. I'm not really expected a reply tbh.

I already contacted RSA and they responded with a message saying they had to wait for other parties to approve it etc

Emailed Shane Ross yesterday but I'm not optimistic for a reply it anything to be done

Got this back today

At present the majority of RSA services are suspended until further notice. Following the publication of the Government’s road map for the lifting of Covid19 restrictions, we are studying this document and looking at when services might be able to reopen.
    We will also need to consult with the relevant authorities and stakeholders to ensure the reopening of any services meets the government’s and health authorities’ guidelines to prevent the further spread of Covid19. As soon as this is completed, we will then be able to update the public on when services will restart. We do envisage that when services reopen it will firstly be on a limited basis, with new protocols in place to meet health guidelines and where customers may need to be prioritised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Email addresses are:
    shane.ross@oireachtas.ie
    drivingtest@rsa.ie

I did it myself last weekend. No reply from Min. Ross. Not even an acknowledgement

• Advertisement

Got this back today

At present the majority of RSA services are suspended until further notice. Following the publication of the Government’s road map for the lifting of Covid19 restrictions, we are studying this document and looking at when services might be able to reopen.
    We will also need to consult with the relevant authorities and stakeholders to ensure the reopening of any services meets the government’s and health authorities’ guidelines to prevent the further spread of Covid19. As soon as this is completed, we will then be able to update the public on when services will restart. We do envisage that when services reopen it will firstly be on a limited basis, with new protocols in place to meet health guidelines and where customers may need to be prioritised

Seems to be a generic reply

I got that back a week ago too.

Seems to be a generic reply

I got that back a week ago too.

I guess we're gonna be in it for the long haul.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Looking forward to seeing how large this backlog will be. I best bet anyone booking now will be waiting 3/4 months after there is some form of re-opening. Are there publicly available documents on how many tests were done monthly prior to closure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wonder will there be a new recruitment to get up to date.

Heard lessons and test will be allowed since yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

Wonder will there be a new recruitment to get up to date.

Heard lessons and test will be allowed since yesterday.
    Car sharing and driving lessons allowed from today

Car-sharing, driving tests and lessons are now all permitted from this morning.

The changes were announced yesterday by the Chief Minister in the press briefing.

People can now car-share with two people from another household, and the DOI announced due to these changes tests and lessons are able to resume.

The department says the move comes following discussions with those in the indsutry and that formal requirements to make sure safety guidance is being followed will be issued in the coming days.

Unfortunately from :- 3FM (Isle of Man)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Looking forward to seeing how large this backlog will be. I best bet anyone booking now will be waiting 3/4 months after there is some form of re-opening. Are there publicly available documents on how many tests were done monthly prior to closure?

You’d find info relating to last year on the CSO website I’d imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

I taxed my car at the start of March. My test was due to be at the end of March and it was cancelled. I haven't driven my car since the schools closed and legally wasn't allowed to once lockdown kicked in as my accompanying driver lives in another household.
    So I paid for 3 months tax even though I could only drive the car for 2 weeks.

My tax was due at the start of June. I checked on citizens information and if I wanted to mark it off the road it was for a minimum of 3 months and had to be done before the end of May. I did not do this as I was waiting to hear about when tests would start back up again.

Does that mean I have no choice but to tax it now or i'll have to pay the arrears anyway when I tax it again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

marilynrr wrote: »
    I taxed my car at the start of March. My test was due to be at the end of March and it was cancelled. I haven't driven my car since the schools closed and legally wasn't allowed to once lockdown kicked in as my accompanying driver lives in another household.
    So I paid for 3 months tax even though I could only drive the car for 2 weeks.

My tax was due at the start of June. I checked on citizens information and if I wanted to mark it off the road it was for a minimum of 3 months and had to be done before the end of May. I did not do this as I was waiting to hear about when tests would start back up again.

Does that mean I have no choice but to tax it now or i'll have to pay the arrears anyway when I tax it again?

You can "sell" the car to a family member, a friend or you dog and buy it back to clear the back tax. Depending on the age/value of the car it could be cheaper to pay the few months back tax then add 2 owners to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Driving tests will not be resuming any time in the immediate future, according to Minister for Transport Shane Ross.

He said that this was due to challenges posed by maintaining social distancing in an enclosed space between the tester and the learner driver for periods in excess of 15 minutes.

Speaking to RTÉ, Ross said: "I can assure learner drivers that officials in my Department and the Road Safety Authority are looking at all available options to get car driving tests started again as soon as possible."

Very reassuring. :rolleyes: Sooner the better a new government is formed to get this clown out of office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

If driving lessons can be conducted from the 20th of July, then surely tests can resume then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

The car tests are subject to different rules . They say that 15 mins is the max you should spend less than 2 metres from someone in a work enviroment . Tests in the car last 20/25 mins normally
    Can see this forum lighting up when Lessons and Tests do resume.
    I can possibly see lessons increasing in price as instructors will have to work less hours per day due to following cleaning guidelines.
    Possible charges for PPE .
    We dont know whats happening but we will still have higher running costs with less lessons per day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I feel a bit sick to the stomach to think ill have to wait til 2021 for a test.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    If driving lessons can be conducted from the 20th of July, then surely tests can resume then too.

It’s not a guarantee that lessons will be back on 20th. I certainly hope they are

SteveAdti wrote: »
    The car tests are subject to different rules . They say that 15 mins is the max you should spend less than 2 metres from someone in a work enviroment . Tests in the car last 20/25 mins normally
    Can see this forum lighting up when Lessons and Tests do resume.
    I can possibly see lessons increasing in price as instructors will have to work less hours per day due to following cleaning guidelines.
    Possible charges for PPE .
    We dont know whats happening but we will still have higher running costs with less lessons per day.

And instructors are in the car with our pupils for up almost 3 times that amount.
    I can see 2hr lessons going out the window for a good while.
    It might make sense to invest in wind deflectors to be able to keep windows open during poor weather too.
    Part of the whole issue is people who are in close quarters who could be positive but are asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

I feel a bit sick to the stomach to think ill have to wait til 2021 for a test.

The RSA have also let a lot of driving testers go, those who were recruited 18 months ago have all had their contracts terminated, so there’ll be fewer testers available whenever they resume, which is not going to help the backlogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I emailed the RSA to see if they could help me, I had a Certificate of Competence from passing my test before lockdown but no way to turn it into a full licence with the NDLS centres closed and to be fair to them they were very helpful and said they'd make an exception and let me print the form and send it in with my learner permit and the €55, it took 2 weeks but got my full licence back today from them. So relieved I got things sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Mr.S wrote: »
    Surely they would re-hire / hire more to clear the backlog?

You would hope so, but I know one of the guys who was let go and he was told that while they may re-hire again at some point in the future, they’ll have to re-apply and go through an interview process.

A good friend of mine who has spent his whole working life in the civil service and knows a thing or two about how to be inefficient, has had some dealings with the RSA over the past couple of years, and he swears that he’s never come across such an inefficient and beauracratic organisation in all his dealings with government departments.

Much of Australia is starting as usual, extra test centres opening temporarily and extra staff being hired. Australia, unlike Ireland though, stopped the booking process after a few weeks.

Probably up to 3 months waiting list if it resumed by end of July

Has anyone actually done a test yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

Has anyone actually done a test yet?

Some car tests will start July 20th

• Advertisement

Have tests started today?

The total lack of communication about this from the RSA is absolutely shocking. They're quick enough to take your €85 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/
    The driver testing service is suspended until further notice following the public health advice in relation to Covid - 19.
    I did not find anything saying whether it started today 20 July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

biko wrote: »
    https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/

I did not find anything saying whether it started to day 20 July.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/Alerts/Coronavirus-COVIDID--19--No-Disruption-to-RSA-Services/
    Driver Testing

Driving tests for cars resumed on Monday 20 July 2020 on a gradual basis. If you are attending for a car test please note that you will need to be aware of new procedures that have been put in place to stop the spread of Covid-19. You can find them here.

Have tests started today?

The total lack of communication about this from the RSA is absolutely shocking. They're quick enough to take your €85 though.

Yes, they started

Mr.S wrote: »
    What are driving lessons like these day? There must be huge demand, I've never seen more school cars out and about.

I’m absolutely out the door. I’ve stopped taking on new pupils for a month at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've always tinkered at the idea would it be worth doing it on the side? As in legit

Has anyone who applied for a test during lockdown got a date yet? I applied in April. Hoping to get a test this side of Christmas but the backlog must be massive.

Has anyone who applied for a test during lockdown got a date yet? I applied in April. Hoping to get a test this side of Christmas but the backlog must be massive.

My daughter applied during lockdown. She hasn’t yet gotten a date but did get an email on Monday night asking if her mobile number was the same as that’s how they contact you at first on the day of your test. From that, I’d imagine she’ll get notice fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Applied in late February. Not a word yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Might depend on the test centre you applied to. I had mine originally booked in Naas for the 8th of April, I just had it on Monday. Passed as well, think maybe the 4 months extra practice might have done me good!

Goose76 wrote: »
    Applied in late February. Not a word yet.

Firstly, check all your EDT lessons are uploaded and then call them if they are

My daughter applied during lockdown. She hasn’t yet gotten a date but did get an email on Monday night asking if her mobile number was the same as that’s how they contact you at first on the day of your test. From that, I’d imagine she’ll get notice fairly soon.

I applied in May, I got the phone number email yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 ArtCurios78

Just passed test in Mulhuddart, was rescheduled from April. Was tricky enough wearing the mask with my glasses but delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭_Chaos

Just passed test in Mulhuddart, was rescheduled from April. Was tricky enough wearing the mask with my glasses but delighted!

Did they ask you any theory questions? If so, do you remember even one of them just as an example? I have my test in 2 weeks and nervous about this aspect as my theory test was so long ago

They asked about yellow box, how to recognize zebra crossing at night, what to do if dazzled by another car and what to do if lights turn amber!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Husband passed this morning around the same time as you in Mulhuddart also! Congratulations

Cheers, so glad to have got it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Flu_exe

Anybody have any idea about how long it would take to get a test if you go for the cancellation route? Obviously difficult to tell but wondering if any others are looking at this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ADowling

Might depend on the test centre you applied to. I had mine originally booked in Naas for the 8th of April, I just had it on Monday. Passed as well, think maybe the 4 months extra practice might have done me good!

I had mine booked for the 1st of April and I’m still waiting for mine ! It’s booked in Tallaght though which may be the reason I’m still waiting... congrats on passing !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

ADowling wrote: »
    I had mine booked for the 1st of April and I’m still waiting for mine ! It’s booked in Tallaght though which may be the reason I’m still waiting... congrats on passing !

Thanks a mil, was delighted, I thought I'd be waiting for a date for ages!

Just for anyone that is waiting on a test, once you get a date I'd say book the earliest available NDLS slot in case you pass. I didn't do that and now I've to wait until the 31st of August to apply for the feckin license :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement