Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processors size

Options
  • 18-04-2020 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Im only just getting into upgrading/Modding PC's Well I havent even started yet lol Sorry if this is a stupid question but, are processors all the same size ? I mean can you take one from a micro ATX and use it in an ATX Is there ones the same size for both case sizes ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭STEE

Is an i7 3820 @ 3.60ghz Socket 2011 LGA with a Dell/Alienware 07JNH0 X79 motherboard compatible with a Asus RoG STRIX 1080 TI 11GB OC card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭STEE

So I couldnt buy a i9 for my micro ATX case and then put it in an ATX case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You need to have the right socket type for your board. As for physical dimensions the heatsink will be the issue, they can be all sorts of sizes and you'll need to leave enough clearance for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

are processors all the same size ? I mean can you take one from a micro ATX and use it in an ATX Is there ones the same size for both case sizes ?

The CPU is not dependent on the motherboard physical size, but on the CPU Socket type and the support for different CPUs the motherboard provides.

Different processors have different socket types.

Add into the mix that some boards will support CPUs of a particular type, but maybe not the newer releases of those CPUs ..... e.g. ...... a motherboard with a socket suited to an i7 2770 could accept an i7 3770 but that CPU might not work at all due to a lack of support for the newer version of the CPU on the motherboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Think of ATX and MATX motherboards as been the same.

You need to concentrate on what generation of CPU that is compatible. There is no larger or smaller processor for each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

STEE wrote: »
    Is an i7 3820 @ 3.60ghz Socket 2011 LGA with a Dell/Alienware 07JNH0 X79 motherboard compatible with a Asus RoG STRIX 1080 TI 11GB OC card ?

Your doing some mad matching there. That processor is from 2011 and basically obsolete now for gaming.

The socket of that processor is LGA 2011.
    The socket of that motherboard is LGA 2011

Both are compatible but wouldn't bother my arse buying them. There completely obselete at this stage.

The 1080TI is still a very good card but your proccessor is going to let you down badly.

Why not tell us what your trying to do and can hopefully help?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this lists the Intel chips and the compatible motherboards

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Desktop%20Processors

Advertisement