Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card in a Lenovo desktop

Options
  • 18-04-2020 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

It's been 20 years since I've done any tinkering with pre built stuff. The young lad has this Lenovo https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/500-series/510A-AMD/p/99IC95A0269 ( middle one Ryzen 5 3400G) and I was thinking of sticking a graphics card in it. The power supply is piddly (180w accordign to the link) and doesnt have any extra connections on it (I dont think anyway, I opened it a while ago but cant remember seeing anything) so it'll have to be one that doesnt take external power.

I do have the option to upgrade the power supply assuming a full sized one will fit, ill have to check. I have one knocking around that came out of one of my systems.

So my question is, can I just bang in a non external powered card or is it likely to cause power issues? Thinking a GTX 1050 or something.

It has a free PCIE 16x slot (and a 1x)

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GTX 1650 is best you can buy without requiring an external power source.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

GTX1650 low profile will work but make sure you have space in the case. I have a low profile GTX1650 in my 2nd machine and it actually didn't fit without modification, I had to cut away some of the plastic shroud.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Case should have plenty of room, I'll open it and put a tape on it beforehand to make 100%

Was just worried adding anything might push the power consumption up with the PSU being so weedy, just wanted to make sure.

Cheers folks.

Advertisement