Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread maker bread

• 18-04-2020 3:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

Have had an auto bread maker sitting in a press for the past 10 years never used just taking up space. Could not find the dried yeast anywhere, so tried to order on amazon but delivery took a long time. Understandable; only received today after ordering 6 weeks ago (from china).

A few questions for all the bread maker bakers...

I was a bit greedy thinking that a 1kg recipe would make a bigger loaf, I went with the basic white and substituted bread flour for cream flour and milk power with normal milk (liquid content remained same).

Does a 500g recipe produce a lighter loaf of the same size? The loaf I got from it was nice but fairly heavy on the dough side, tastes of dough but is cooked. It does not cause indigestion/bloating anyway and I'm prone to it when eating certain things.

I read that ordinary plain flour can be substituted for the unbleached flour/bread flour that is in the recipe from the manual. Does the bread flour make a difference at all?

Strong flour... is this bread flour? could some wholemeal flour be mixed with cream flour to get the same results.

Any recipes you'd like to share???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Strong or bread flour has a higher gluten content than normal plain flour, and it's this that gives the bread it's structure. Without it the bread will be more cake like and a bit doughy. Anything above 12% gluten or thereabouts is fine, although I found some flour in a local polish shop recently that was 11.5% and that gave some pretty good results. Look on the nutritional content bit on the bag for protein, usually shown as g / 100g.

By the way, Lidl had plenty of dried yeast that last time I was in there.

My bread maker has 3 size settings S,M & L, and I usually make the medium one, a 750g loaf which is a normal enough size. The large one is a bit too tall and won't fit in the toaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

If you want a lighter loaf, leave out the milk. There is no need for milk in yeast bread.

The simplest recipe is 500g strong flour, 7g dried yeast, approx 300g water .

huskerdu wrote: »
    If you want a lighter loaf, leave out the milk. There is no need for milk in yeast bread.

The simplest recipe is 500g strong flour, 7g dried yeast, approx 300g water .
    For bread makers, the best advice is to follow the recipes provided with the machine, they're tried and tested and match the programs on the machine.

For example, for my Panasonic machine, most recipes use only 1tsp of dried yeast, and I can get 3-4 loaves out of a single typical 7-8g sachet. The amount of water also varies depending on if it's a white, wholemeal, 50/50 or 70/30 wholemal/white mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

The hard part is getting your hands on some strong flour with this covid thing going on. It's rarely being in the shops for the last month or so.
    Also, what Alun says, it's best to follow the recipes given. Btw, Aldi also sell strong flour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Last couple of weeks I've been alternating between strong flour and plain flour when making ciabatta bread in the Samsung machine - been happy with the result either way. But I got this quick recipe I am content about from its book, glad to stick with while I don't have time to experiment with new recipes.
    - it needs 500g flour/310 mls water/bit of salt/3 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp yeast.

Then on strong flour, I got a large batch from kellswholemeal - seeing it has between 11.5-12.5 % protein.
    - would start using it from this week, after I received very much needed 2 large food storage boxes to store it (ordered Sistema KLIP IT, hope my flour would be fine in them).

And btw, on yeast - found some on my last shopping trips in tesco, surprisingly enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Just wow!!

Made a 500g today and omitted the milk, followed the rest of the recipe and the difference is night and day. The only other thing I did differently was sieving the flour (cream flour) in on top of the water. Will try the same recipe with 2 tsp of yeast (instead of the 1.5 tsp), will this make it rise some more anyone reckon??

Delicious bread have to say. I had put Himalayan (pink) salt in also (dietary reasons) might increase the salt also, could perhaps do with some more, will know tomorrow possibly.

Did another with an extra 1/2 tsp of salt, way too salty crazy how that 1/2 tsp makes a difference. The extra yeast didn't seem to make any difference.

The salt isn't there just for flavour it performs lots of other useful functions too. 1.25tsp is what I add to a 750g loaf (500g flour) according to my bread maker recipe.

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/salt-in-bread-baking-how-much-and-why/

Alun wrote: »
    The salt isn't there just for flavour it performs lots of other useful functions too. 1.25tsp is what I add to a 750g loaf (500g flour) according to my bread maker recipe.

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/salt-in-bread-baking-how-much-and-why/

Interesting, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Panasonic Bread maker on offer with Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0055HSEOC?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I have the Panasonic, actually on my second one in about 10 or so years.

Baking atm and got it out a few weeks ago to make white breadcrumbs for stuffing, etc etc.

Today doing a 30 / 70, wholemeal / strong white loaf. That and white are basically the only ones I make.

Any interesting options that you've found bombproof and tasty 😁....then again I should probably read all the recipes provided in the manual.

Ideas lads n lassies?

Same here, 20+ programs and I only use the white, wholemeal and white + seeds options! Mind you the same goes for washing machines and dishwashers, 99.9% of the time it's one or two programs and the rest remain unused :)

Looked into the Dough programmes. Might start experimenting. Seems rye recipes (and I cannot find my rye blade 😀) and rye bread in general seem to be very heavy. So.....I'll give that a miss. Like the idea of wholewheat / whole grain breads. Should be able to "dough programme" them then bake in oven?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're very handy for making pizza dough too; ours creates a perfectly good dough with little faff.

Just after making pizza dough half an hour ago....😀....by hand. Always have......750grs flour so larger amount. Be grand.

"Jenny Can Cook" video of making Wholewheat bread. Non bread maker recipe. Her videos are good and the bread looks great. Might go out and buy a Prestige 2lb. Loaf tin now to replace my old cheapo tins.

Saul Good.

Advertisement