Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me what this weed is and how to get rid of it

Options
  • 18-04-2020 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me what this weed is (see attached) and the best way to get rid of it with out destroying the lawn. Just seems to be popping up everywhere. Lawn was only newly seeded a year ago..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Can anybody tell me what this weed is (see attached) and the best way to get rid of it with out destroying the lawn. Just seems to be popping up everywhere. Lawn was only newly seeded a year ago..

It’s clover ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Cheers

Its a tyoe of clover, generally a sign of poor fertility. It can be benifitial, fixing nitrogen into the soil then the grass actually out competes it.
    I leave my lawn relatively high and actually like it and its flowers.
    Cutting and mulching regularly will help reduce it, but a feed and weed would work too if you don't mind chemical means

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/solve-problems/clover/

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Don't know how to get rid of it but it looks like Clover to me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

It actually makes a great lawn, doesn’t require mowing and is environmentally friendly. Shame it’s not in fashion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not in fashion partly because lawn weed and feeds kill it, so it suits the chemical companies who make that stuff to portray it as a weed.

• Advertisement

You're in clover.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Sounds like we're in Cloverfield then.. Will try and just fertilise the lawn, keep the grass high and see how it goes.. Don't really want to use any chemicals if I don't have to..

Thanks all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Will try and just fertilise the lawn
    you're in luck, clover adds nitrogen so fertilises the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cheers

White clover.

If you use lots of nitrogen fertiliser, it sets it back, let the grass grow high, starve of light.

That kills it, unfortunately, in farm land.

No idea in a garden.

Advertisement