Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I kill my external hard drive?

Options
  • 18-04-2020 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I’ve a seagate 8tb backup plus hub. I accidentally plugged it into a 24 volt power supply instead of its 12 volt one.

Now it won’t power up. Laptop doesn’t see it. Is it fried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's likely that you killed the USB interposer but possibly not the drive. You would have to dismantle the enclosure and take out the drive and test it separately to the USB interposer to know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Damien360

mad muffin wrote: »
    I’ve a seagate 8tb backup plus hub. I accidentally plugged it into a 24 volt power supply instead of its 12 volt one.

Now it won’t power up. Laptop doesn’t see it. Is it fried?

Going to be a fuse. But finding it and whether it's surface mounted or changeable is going to be your issue. It's your backup so I assume the original data is still safe. Might as well open the hub and follow the power connection in to the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’ve taken the drive out. I’ll get a caddy from amazon. Hopefully the drive still works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've had a good few enclosures fail over the years. The drive has always survived. Though once I had to use the circuit board from an identical drive to get the data off. Most of these drives end up in desktops or I've bought another enclosure.

I got the new caddy this morning. It’s a no go. Looks like the drive is dead. Tried it without the drive and the light comes on. It also comes on, on the old enclosure. Oh well…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

There's a diode on the PCB called a transient voltage suppressor (TVS). Removing this part from the board might allow the drive to power up. But I'd only do this with the intent of getting the data off pending a more permanent fix such as PCB replacement or scrapping the drive. Removing it is like bridging a fuse, any future surge could cause more serious damage.

https://community.wd.com/t/hdd-tvs-diode-faq/14692

ka2 wrote: »
    There's a diode on the PCB called a transient voltage suppressor (TVS). Removing this part from the board might allow the drive to power up. But I'd only do this with the intent of getting the data off pending a more permanent fix such as PCB replacement or scrapping the drive. Removing it is like bridging a fuse, any future surge could cause more serious damage.

https://community.wd.com/t/hdd-tvs-diode-faq/14692

Thanks. I’m not sure what I’m looking at though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

mad muffin wrote: »
    Thanks. I’m not sure what I’m looking at though.
    No worries. PCB layouts obviously vary but there's normally one or two of them near the SATA power connector. You can see them in the example below - the two black parts under the power connector and just to the right of the screw hole in the top left corner.

https://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/PCB-1.jpg

ka2 wrote: »
    No worries. PCB layouts obviously vary but there's normally one or two of them near the SATA power connector. You can see them in the example below - the two black parts under the power connector and just to the right of the screw hole in the top left corner.

https://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/PCB-1.jpg

Thanks. I thought you were talking about the enclosure pcb. Then had a google and as you pony out. It’s on the HDD pcb. I do t have the correct screw driver. I’ll just wait till shops open up again and have a look. Maybe a computer shop can fix it?

Advertisement