Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing Homes Overstating Death Numbers?

• 18-04-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I’ve allowed myself to be hit with the conspiracy stick. Ok, maybe not hit; lightly stroked.

A Facebook friend (?), a militant anti vaxxing, avacado loving, David Icke worshipping type. I know, I know...

Anyhoo, this person has had ‘reports’ that some people’s grannies/granddads died from natural causes in their nursing homes in recent days, but were reported as having died from Covid. Apparently these people had zero symptoms of Covid19. Therefore, we, the Sheeple, must now wake up and see that it’s all a scam. Etc, etc.

Any thoughts/views/anecdotes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

What reason would they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭WeeCuppaCha

Kerry25x wrote: »
    What reason would they have?

In order to have a sufficient death toll that justifies the actions we took, namely lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

In order to have a sufficient death toll that justifies the actions we took, namely lockdown.

And private nursing homes would give a fcuk about justifying the lockdown because?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is enough justification for the lockdown without trying to massage numbers.

Your friend is blowing smoke.

Also, who would
    A) be able to order this to happen?
    B) benefit from it?

Illuminati?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moving to Conspiracy Theories forum. Please note that the local charter now applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Everyone who dies of Covid19 dies of natural causes, i.e. their heart stops, they can't breathe etc.
    They are going to test everyone in homes next week which will clarify things and provide data to argue against pointless conspiracies on Facebook, not that these people will take any account of actual data.

biko wrote: »
    There is enough justification for the lockdown without trying to massage numbers.

Your friend is blowing smoke.

Also, who would
    A) be able to order this to happen?
    B) benefit from it?

Illuminati?

Bill Gates? **** knows. But with every like this tripe gets, my despair also rises. People believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Bill Gates? **** knows. But with every like this tripe gets, my despair also rises. People believe it.

And you repeat it. You're part of the problem.

And you repeat it. You're part of the problem.

Is discussing something, which already has fair mileage on social media, an issue now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The only advice is to stop engaging with fools pedalling conspiracy theories which add absolutely no value and use your own time and energy more positively.

Each of those deaths is a person, not a number to be put in a box to suit idiots making up Facebook posts or social media.

There is a poem written by an Irish lady about the death of her sister in a nursing home in London entitled "My sister is not a stastic".

You should read that and reflect a moment to remember all of the people in the nursing home and their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Is discussing something, which already has fair mileage on social media, an issue now?

What part of what I said did you not understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

I have sympathy for the doctors who must decide on the cause of death, particularly for patients who have several serious underlying conditions, any one of which would eventually lead to death.

Theres no doubt that many people who contracted covid were going to die anyway and the virus simply sped things along a bit. Take for example a terminal cancer patient who may have clung on for an extra month or two. They contract covid 19, they dont have a chance of beating it with their non-existent immune system, and it kills them. What do you put that down as? The virus killed them but it didn't really.

I've no doubt theres many, many cases like this and no headline death number is ever going to tell the true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

This 'narrative' is gaining ground though. The idea that the death toll is being artificially inflated is definitely something I'm seeing more of, certainly in the UK and USA, I hadn't realised it had taken off here also.

I think like a lot of CT stuff, people look for a more comforting 'truth', refusing to believe that things could actually be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Theres no doubt that many people who contracted covid were going to die anyway and the virus simply sped things along a bit.

There is hardly any doubt that people who die from Covid19 would eventually die anyway. :rolleyes:

Life, as they say, is terminal.

Advertisement