Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware stores CAN Open

Comments

Woodies were advertising great guns last weekend (everything except paint) and by Tuesday they hadn’t a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Woodies saying no more deliveries until they get get back log out.

Screwfix were doing orders this morning and now finished for day. :(
    This will be worse than the toilet roll queues. :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Well Arrabawn, in Nenagh, got clearance, today, from the Gardaí to sell paint today, they are an agri coop who were open anyway but had refused to sell paint/fencing protection to farmers ..
    They were shifting peat moss and other bagged plant fertiliser etc for domestic use by the pallet: un-real, a real piss off for woodies etc.
    I over look the front of the coop and the pallets are just selling mad.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

The hardware store in my village had been open all week and it’s been packed every day. Good precautions taken with regards to social distancing and queuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's all very strange. Trade counters can’t open local branches & can only deliver supplies emergency to tradesmen. Yes it seems the likes of Woodies, B&Q etc are allowed to open to the public. If they do indeed open the place will be packed with people buying gardening products and general DIY materials.

Am I missing something here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There was confusion and that has been cleared up today and the stores are allowed to open.

Considering most diy stores are a good size, social distancing won't be an issue.

There is also a case for mental health of people stuck inside with nothing to do.

Paint, garden products and general diy can help greatly with mental fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see absolutely no issues once as mentioned everyone plays their part and are responsible.

People's homes will never look better.....

I want to fit an outside tap, also will need conduit for cable as fitting lighting around the outside.

Paint for outside badly needed also.

Darc19 wrote: »
    There was confusion and that has been cleared up today and the stores are allowed to open.

Considering most diy stores are a good size, social distancing won't be an issue.

There is also a case for mental health of people stuck inside with nothing to do.

Paint, garden products and general diy can help greatly with mental fitness

I think I’ve heard more about mental health than the deadly virus this past fortnight. We really have turned into some shower of attention seekers, you’d swear people were being asked to go on foot patrols in Syria or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I think I’ve heard more about mental health than the deadly virus this past fortnight. We really have turned into some shower of attention seekers, you’d swear people were being asked to go on foot patrols in Syria or something.

I'm hurt by your comments :(

:D

If it's in The Sun it must be true!
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/5334787/coronavirus-in-ireland-hardware-stores-reopen-essential-covid-19/

According to this article, hardware shops can open but not to the general public! :confused::confused:
    Looks like they are making it up as they go along.

• Advertisement

We're confined to our own homes. We can go for runs, cycles or walks in the park. We can buy, cook and eat any food we want. We can order takeaway. We can drink alcohol. We can sit in the garden all day long if the sun shines. We can watch any streaming or TV channels we want. We've been doing this for about three weeks now.

We are going nuts. Mental health as you say. Yet people state matter of factly that prison is a walk in the park (even though they can't walk in the park). Prisoners are locked into a 6 by 10 cell for 20 odd hours per day. Some for 23 hours per day & some of the nasty ones have to live like this for 15 or 20 years.

I think prison is a lot harder than people have been making out or the rest of us on the outside are complete wusses. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We're confined to our own homes. We can go for runs, cycles or walks in the park. We can buy, cook and eat any food we want. We can order takeaway. We can drink alcohol. We can sit in the garden all day long if the sun shines. We can watch any streaming or TV channels we want. We've been doing this for about three weeks now.

We are going nuts. Mental health as you say. Yet people state matter of factly that prison is a walk in the park (even though they can't walk in the park). Prisoners are locked into a 6 by 10 cell for 20 odd hours per day. Some for 23 hours per day & some of the nasty ones have to live like this for 15 or 20 years.

I think prison is a lot harder than people have been making out or the rest of us on the outside are complete wusses. :)

Back in the summer of ought three, Andy Dufresne spent 6 months twice a year in the pokey and came out smelling like a whores bubble bath. We laughed at the thought of him stuffing pot pourri up his ass and farting sunshine at the screws. DIY materials?? We had worms in a jam jar that we rented out as a sex toy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mcginty28

Sleeper12 wrote:

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I think prison is a lot harder than people have been making out or the rest of us on the outside are complete wusses.

Yeah but they deserve it , couldn't give a rats if they've to stay in the cell 24/7.

mcginty28 wrote:
    Yeah but they deserve it , couldn't give a rats if they've to stay in the cell 24/7.

Of course they deserve it. I just find it funny listening to people for decades saying how easy it is in jail. We can't take three weeks in our own homes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I work for a hardware store and we opened this last week .... no access to building but we took orders outside in carpark with distances set up....

We took orders over phone and email/ facebook and took payment by card... it all worked ok.

It got quieter as the week went on and everybody was delighted to get things and most people were well behaved really.

You'll always get a few tossers.

Where do I mention mental health.?

I said mental fitness. Quite different to mental health. Mental fitness applies to everyone. Without mental fitness some people will suffer mental health issues.
    Hence ensuring mental fitness is vital

It seems hardwares can't open to the general public after all:

"The Department wrote to members of the Retail Forum following last Wednesday’s meeting reiterating public health advice for essential retail.”

In a further clarification on Saturday evening the Deptartment spokesman said: “The regulations relate to the right to move around and make journeys. Essential service workers are allowed to make journeys to pick up necessary supplies for emergency services they are providing.

“Hardware and other stores shouldn’t be open to the general public. Such outlets are not to open except on the emergency and/or delivery basis as set out in the updated retail services list. That list is unchanged.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-may-open-for-essential-items-during-pandemic-says-government-1.4232565

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I heard this is false and the rules remain in place. Mother of sweet jesus I hope we have a strong line of credit available because this is going to cost big time

road_high wrote:
    I heard this is false and the rules remain in place. Mother of sweet jesus I hope we have a strong line of credit available because this is going to cost big time

All the stores closed has boosted part of my business. I have an online shop for shower parts. I do a small steady trade usually as I have parts most trade counters have to order in. The last few weeks I have been swamped. No longer just parts. Demand got me to list showers on the site. Showers that I have in stock anyway as we also install showers. I'm now posting electric and power showers all over Ireland on a daily basis. It's amazing how you can be lucky & be in the right place at the right time sometimes. Unfortunately the seriousness of the lock down & the tragic death rate takes the enjoyment out of my temporary extra success.

okidoki987 wrote:
    According to this article, hardware shops can open but not to the general public! Looks like they are making it up as they go along.

Amazing that the Sun got the facts before the big papers this time

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »

That irish times article very clearly states that hardware and diy may open once distancing can be done.

My brother is a member of the retail federation and got an email about this earlier today (he's not in the diy sector) and it is very clear that diy stores can open

Read the article https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-may-open-for-essential-items-during-pandemic-says-government-1.4232565

The sh*t sun got it wrong because it's a sh*t rag.

Anyone who believes that rag or a rag like the daily muck (extra.ie) needs to wake up to themselves

Darc19 wrote:
    Read the article

Darc19 wrote:
    The sh*t sun got it wrong because it's a sh*t rag.

You didn't read the Times link that you posted yourself. Read it to the very end

It clearly says that the stores can't open to the public. They are only for essential workers I.E. tradesmen. They should only open for the tradesman in an emergency. In all other circumstances they should deliver to the tradesmen.

Joe public are restricted for travel. Only essential workers /services can travel to collect materials for essential work.

Darc19 wrote: »
    That irish times article very clearly states that hardware and diy may open once distancing can be done.

My brother is a member of the retail federation and got an email about this earlier today (he's not in the diy sector) and it is very clear that diy stores can open

Read the article https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-may-open-for-essential-items-during-pandemic-says-government-1.4232565

This is in the Times article that you linked
    In a further clarification on Saturday evening the Deptartment spokesman said: “The regulations relate to the right to move around and make journeys. Essential service workers are allowed to make journeys to pick up necessary supplies for emergency services they are providing.

“Hardware and other stores shouldn’t be open to the general public. Such outlets are not to open except on the emergency and/or delivery basis as set out in the updated retail services list. That list is unchanged.”

As the Sun pointed out, most definitely not open to the public

This is in the Times article that you linked

As the Sun pointed out, most definitely not open to the public
    The letter from Dept of Business says otherwise.

I'll take that over the sun any day.

Remember how the scum sun blamed Liverpool supporters?

Took them over 20 years to accept they were wrong

Darc19 wrote:
    The letter from Dept of Business says otherwise.

Read it again. Read the Times article you posted the link to. At the end of the article it says the Department of business clarified it Saturday evening. They can NOT open to the public. Essential workers /services only.

It's in your link.

You keep saying how the Sun is wrong and yet the times reports the exact same thing. Not open to the public.

Guards will have a problem if the hardware shops open to the public and all they end up doing is stopping people who are going to buying essentials like paint, wallpaper, screws, water fountains, garden lights and so on.
    People in the trade have been buying stuff they need off the hardware shops for the last 3 weeks with no problems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

How is a hardware shop supposed to ascertain if a person is an essential worker buying essential supplies?

Seems to me that such shops can open.

Government advice is only to make essential journeys so average person should not go to such open shops. So to reduce people going to the shop after confirming the shops can open, they are trying to make out shops are not for general buyers.

Yet if they do then they will be able to buy what is on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭cletus

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Guards will have a problem if the hardware shops open to the public and all they end up doing is stopping people who are going to buying essentials like paint, wallpaper, screws, water fountains, garden lights and so on.
    People in the trade have been buying stuff they need off the hardware shops for the last 3 weeks with no problems.

Of the list you put up, the only thing I could see as "essential" is screws, and even that's a stretch

DM_7 wrote:
    How is a hardware shop supposed to ascertain if a person is an essential worker buying essential supplies?

In the same way that trade counters across the country have been able to do it for the last several weeks I suppose. You need to have an account set up with them with business name & CRO registered number as proof. All essential service providers will be able to provide this information.

As they aren't allowed to open you will need to phone in the order or place it online. The order then has to be delivered to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The biggest problem is supply, the shelves are empty in many of the closed hardware shops. To open fully now again with less stock and higher running costs is probably not attractive. Better to tip away at phone orders. In my area you pay on your account or by credit card and the items are put outside in an area covered by CCTV for you to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

So can hardware stores open to Joe soap or not, seems conflicting information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The main point is that no matter what we might want they have decided not to open. So that's that unless you are going to go all MAGA on them and start threatening to break the door down! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

All the stores closed has boosted part of my business. I have an online shop for shower parts. I do a small steady trade usually as I have parts most trade counters have to order in. The last few weeks I have been swamped. No longer just parts. Demand got me to list showers on the site. Showers that I have in stock anyway as we also install showers. I'm now posting electric and power showers all over Ireland on a daily basis. It's amazing how you can be lucky & be in the right place at the right time sometimes. Unfortunately the seriousness of the lock down & the tragic death rate takes the enjoyment out of my temporary extra success.

Jaysus, DIY Dave's all over the country installing their own power showers...
    That's a scary thought.

Not a bash aimed at you either by the way! I've just seen enough dodgy diy crap to last me a lifetime!

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    So can hardware stores open to Joe soap or not, seems conflicting information.

No. There wasn't any conflicting advise. Some posters only read half of the news report. The regulations state only for essential workers/ services. This means tradesmen only. Even for tradesmen the shop should only open in an emergency. At all other times the shop should stay closed & goods should be delivered to the tradesman. That's not to say that small hardwares wont open. I have seen several staying open through the whole lockdown totally ignoring the regulations but you wont see the big boys like Woodies, B&Q etc flaunt the new laws

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Jaysus, DIY Dave's all over the country installing their own power showers...
    That's a scary thought.

Not a bash aimed at you either by the way! I've just seen enough dodgy diy crap to last me a lifetime!

I totally agree. Why are electric showers even sold in DIY stores when it's illegal for DIY Dave to install one. I guesstimate that more than half of electric & power showers are replaced by the homeowner themselves. I also guesstimate that only one or two percent of shower installations & replacements are RECI certed. I could write a book on some of the death traps I've come across over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Honestly, people especially my age group (early - mid-20s) use mental health as an excuse for everything, instead of just pushing through and getting **** done.

It really grinds my gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I totally agree. Why are electric showers even sold in DIY stores when it's illegal for DIY Dave to install one. I guesstimate that more than half of electric & power showers are replaced by the homeowner themselves. I also guesstimate that only one or two percent of shower installations & replacements are RECI certed. I could write a book on some of the death traps I've come across over the years

Oh they're definitely not certified, in having said that, neither is mine, but I'm a sparks so I know what I'm doing. Brown to brown, earth to earth, blew to bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HughMann

I don't think the requirement to stay at home is the main reason for people having mental health issues during this crisis. I wouldn't criticise anyone for being vulnerable. Isolation and boredom doesn't help but the real issue is uncertainty for the future (be it financial, careers, education etc.) and worry about health and the health of loved ones. These are serious issues which will obviously be overwhelming for a lot of people. We've also lost a lot of the coping mechanisms that promote good mental health. Social contact and exercise have been impacted. Not having a pop at you personally but just want to give my viewpoint because I've seen posts on a lot of social media almost shaming people for being vulnerable at this time. I'll say it again, it's not just the staying at home that is causing the mental health issues for some. It is the complete upheaval in peoples lives and uncertainty for their futures.

Anyway, I hope hardware stores can open but only if it can be done in a safe manner. Bit of DIY can really be a great distraction.

cletus wrote: »
    Of the list you put up, the only thing I could see as "essential" is screws, and even that's a stretch

None of them are essential but to some they are/might be/possibly/probably essential items.
    Guessing the same people buying the Rattan effect garden furniture, massive barbecues, spa pools & chimeneas in Aldi 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Broken clock is right twice a day and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Woodies were advertising great guns last weekend (everything except paint) and by Tuesday they hadn’t a thing.

great guns, what the f*** does that even mean ??

:confused::confused::confused:

paulbok wrote: »
    Broken clock is right twice a day and all that.

I agree. Lot's of rags I wouldn't believe & the Sun is one of them.

Honestly, people especially my age group (early - mid-20s) use mental health as an excuse for everything, instead of just pushing through and getting **** done.

It really grinds my gears.

Mostly by people who don’t want to do a days work and need an excuse for it. There’s near something wrong with you these days if you don’t have “mental health issues“.

s8n wrote: »

That’s a really old saying, it means a bit like “the hammers of ****” but maybe it’s a local one just.

You could always look it up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Scum doesn't generally worry about facts.... Fvcking rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

s8n wrote: »

Advertising a lot.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

I am delighted that some good has come from the current situation for you. In fairness you are really helpful whenever you can be in your area of expertise.

2018na wrote: »
    I am delighted that some good has come from the current situation for you. In fairness you are really helpful whenever you can be in your area of expertise.

Thats a very nice thing to say. Ty :)

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/government-now-insists-hardware-stores-cannot-open-to-the-public-39139654.html

HARDWARE stores should not be open to the general public, the Government has clarified, following widespread confusion in the sector in recent days.
    Business Minister Heather Humphreys said on Sunday that hardware stores can operate in a “very limited and restricted way” and should not be open to the general public during the Covid-19 restrictions.
    Hugh O’Donnell, CEO of Topline, said he was told by a senior Department of Business official that hardware stores and builders’ merchants could reopen.
    The department did not deny this was the advice given to hardware outlets.
    Mr O'Donnell said there had been "widespread confusion" over whether stores could open or not.
    The Department issued a clarifying statement on Saturday night, saying: “Hardware and other stores shouldn’t be open to the general public.

So that's that, until the next confusing statement from the government. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement