Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware stores CAN Open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

2018na wrote: »
    I am delighted that some good has come from the current situation for you. In fairness you are really helpful whenever you can be in your area of expertise.

The above is addressed to Sleeper12 and its worth repeating: the key piece is that he sticks to the knitting and does not wander/wonder off into other areas that are outside his skill sets, which are extensive.

A man's GOT to know his limitations. This is a Triton XYZ 90i redux, the most powerful shower in the world, and it could blow your head clean off.
    :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Any idea when Argos will open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

obi604 wrote: »
    Any idea when Argos will open?

I'm guessing they don't fall under essential so their stores can't open in the coming phase. I see them classed as regular retail outlets like clothes shops rather than hardwares & building supplies. That's my guess anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm guessing they don't fall under essential so their stores can't open in the coming phase. I see them classed as regular retail outlets like clothes shops rather than hardwares & building supplies. That's my guess anyway

They are delivering certain goods like furniture, Kitchen stuff, DIY, Nursery, kids, personal care and fitness & technology and gaming according to the website but nothing about reopening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Another business open. I needed so electrical bits today and checked the local Electrical Wholesaler and their counter was open for business.

I wonder will hardware stores open on the 18th May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I wonder will hardware stores open on the 18th May

From what I see they are all half open.

are these type stores allowed to operate in anyways om the 18th May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If only there was some kind of roadmap published on a sort of a government website.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/#shops-and-other-commercial-businesses
    Easing the COVID-19 restrictions on 18 May (Phase 1)
    Shops that are primarily outdoor (for example: garden centres, hardware stores, farmers' markets) can re-open so long as social distancing measures can be put in place

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

still not sure if it applies to Argos

Has anyone ever been this keen to visit Argos? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Chiorino

The likes of Argos unlikely to open until phase 3.

Has anyone ever been this keen to visit Argos? :D

hands up, this is what the lock-down is doing to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

It's B&Q I'm waiting for...

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    It's B&Q I'm waiting for...

true

and why dont woodies even allow you to simply search for items on their website, just to have an aul gander. everything is locked down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Chiorino wrote: »
    The likes of Argos unlikely to open until phase 3.

Really find that ironic considering they really were the pioneers of click and collect.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

"homeware" stores, "diy" stores and "garden centre's" can open from 18th.

These are official classifications.

It's not "essential" retail but the start of regular retail.

Darc19 wrote: »
    "homeware" stores, "diy" stores and "garden centre's" can open from 18th.

These are official classifications.

It's not "essential" retail but the start of regular retail.

What about Argos ;):):);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

From what I see they are all half open.

Got huge delivery of timber paving and patio slabs from my local DIY store two weeks ago. Really enjoying being outside building my new shed and patio in the warm sunshine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

What about Argos ;):):);)

I wonder Will they ever open again, Amazon has taken alot of their business.

• Advertisement

Steer55 wrote: »
    I wonder Will they ever open again, Amazon has taken alot of their business.

True. You would imagine they would though.

true

and why dont woodies even allow you to simply search for items on their website, just to have an aul gander. everything is locked down

Anyone know why woodies are doing this?

All other websites seem ‘open’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone know why woodies are doing this?

All other websites seem ‘open’

Their CMS may only allow them to do certain things on the website. They may not have in house developers.

true

Many sites can't cope with the amount of people using them during the shutdown. It makes the site smoother if you can get rid of the tire kickers for the moment. Some sites are so busy that you enter a queue to enter the site. A lot of sites are hiding from the webpage goods that they aren't allowed to sell

Many sites can't cope with the amount of people using them during the shutdown. It makes the site smoother if you can get rid of the tire kickers for the moment. Some sites are so busy that you enter a queue to enter the site. A lot of sites are hiding from the webpage goods that they aren't allowed to sell

fair enough, I don't get the last line though

A lot of sites are hiding from the webpage goods that they aren't allowed to sell

What goods aren't they allowed sell??? News to me, didn't think there was a prohibition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

bladespin wrote: »
    What goods aren't they allowed sell??? News to me, didn't think there was a prohibition.

Essential items only?
    E.g. dunne’s can’t sell clothes from their drapery but can sell food from food department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 Kmcg46

Argos is opening on monday for click & collect

Kmcg46 wrote: »

Source?

I dont see it on the argos.ie website

My other half works for Argos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Any news on B&Q opening

My other half works for Argos

do you know if its all Argos stores or just a select few?

As far as i know not all stores are opening, i will check and get back to you

As far as i know not all stores are opening, i will check and get back to you

Nice one

tom1ie wrote: »
    Essential items only?
    E.g. dunne’s can’t sell clothes from their drapery but can sell food from food department.

Pretty sure that's Dunne's own choice, no limits on items that can be sold from shops that qualify as essential (though I doubt a separate drapery would qualify unless under the same roof) from anything I've seen - paint, clothes, birthday cards and toys etc all freely available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Pretty sure that's Dunne's own choice, no limits on items that can be sold from shops that qualify as essential (though I doubt a separate drapery would qualify unless under the same roof) from anything I've seen - paint, clothes, birthday cards and toys etc all freely available.

Dunnes Stores in the Beacon in Sandyford Industrial Estate were selling clothes this morning upstairs (groceries downstairs).

fair enough, I don't get the last line though

Woodies dont have an online store as such. Their goods don't come from a central depo. Goods ordered online come from inside their retail outlets. I have often ordered hundreds of showers from Woodies & when delivered to me the delivery guy would tell me that he had to collect them from three separate branches. Screwfix are in the same boat. Because of this they are classed as Hardwares. Local retail outlets rather than an online store & under the restrictions can only deliver essential goods. Not everything they sell is essential. This is why many goods were hidden from both the Woodies & Screwfix websites.

In fairness to both companies they stuck to the rules as they saw them. Plenty of others totally ignored the regulations. Small hardware shops argued that they sold bird food so were allowed open the same as pet shops. A dog groomers in a petshop in Coolock never closed at all. They argued that they are part of the pet shop & continued to operate. They are booked solid right into July.

Dunnes has jumped the gun & started selling clothes even though they aren't allowed to till monday.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores in the Beacon in Sandyford Industrial Estate were selling clothes this morning upstairs (groceries downstairs).

This was on covered on Liveline yesterday I believe. HSE has had hundreds of reported breaches of regulations since March but hasn't investigated a single case to date. There was no real effort to enforce the regulations imo

Is Argos still opening on Monday?

• Advertisement

In fairness to both companies they stuck to the rules as they saw them. Plenty of others totally ignored the regulations. Small hardware shops argued that they sold bird food so were allowed open the same as pet shops. A dog groomers in a petshop in Coolock never closed at all. They argued that they are part of the pet shop & continued to operate. They are booked solid right into July.

Dunnes has jumped the gun & started selling clothes even though they aren't allowed to till monday.
    The minister for enterprise was quite clear on this yesterday, not a breach as far as govt were concerned as long as the main function of the shop was essential.

bladespin wrote:
    The minister for enterprise was quite clear on this yesterday, not a breach as far as govt were concerned as long as the main function of the shop was essential.

Yes. From Monday. All hardwares should be shut until Monday.

EDIT: If you read the whole thread you'll see that The minister for enterprise hasn't a clue what she's saying at the best of times. It was her that started all of this confusion weeks ago. It was clarified that hardwares were essential & did sell essential goods BUT they could only do so by delivery. This is what she eventually said to clarify things.

Yes. From Monday. All hardwares should be shut until Monday.

She mentioned grocery stores that also sell other goods currently (including hardware and homewares) and that this was acceptable.

Edit. Also many hardwares were allowed open during restrictions as they support agricultural needs.

bladespin wrote:
    Edit. Also many hardwares were allowed open during restrictions as they support agricultural needs.

You missed the point. Hardwares were only allowed to deliver. They weren't allowed to open a retail outlet. You couldn't go more than a mile or so in Dublin without finding little hardware stores open. The only animal feed they sold was bird food.

There were hundreds of complaints about business breaking the regulations BUT not a single one was investigated. The government didn't enforce the regulations on businesses

anyone know anything about Argos?

they have a thermometer im after that is gone everywhere else. and they might on the off chance have it - if they open tomorrow.

but not sure if they are open or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

anyone know anything about Argos?

they have a thermometer im after that is gone everywhere else. and they might on the off chance have it - if they open tomorrow.

but not sure if they are open or not.

Someone on another thread said it was as their OH works for them. Reserve the item just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

where i am all hardware shops i know of were closed, but there were some open for phone orders and doing delivery only. last week i passed through upper rathmines and saw nice queue forming outside a small hardware shop and i was very surprised and no idea how they were getting away with being open
    true

Woodies website now open for business.... well, for browsing at least
    tom1ie wrote: »
    Essential items only?

Dunnes have been selling clothes from day one of the lockdown. I was in Cornelscourt early on and the queue for groceries weaved through the homewares and clothes with signs up to say that that you could pick whatever you wanted and bring to any till. Dunner in the Blanch moved 5 or six racks of clothing down to the bread / bakery section weeks ago.

Click & collect only in Argos, no touch screens, no books

Click & collect only in Argos

so the stores will actually be open

Went to Chadwicks this morning. It was surprisingly quiet. Bit of a queue for the cash desk, maybe 4 people.

The aisles are a bit squeezy. I was wearing a mask, as were maybe 1/3 of the other customers. Slightly annoying that there isn't 100% mask wearing, since 100% of the customers own them.

The joy of being able to pick things up!

Went to Chadwicks this morning. It was surprisingly quiet. Bit of a queue for the cash desk, maybe 4 people.

The aisles are a bit squeezy. I was wearing a mask, as were maybe 1/3 of the other customers. Slightly annoying that there isn't 100% mask wearing, since 100% of the customers own them.

The joy of being able to pick things up!

They were open last week, I'd say the rush was then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement