Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike Beginner Help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

much like Banana Republic I'm at the very start of the process. I have Cat AM on the licence but I'd feel better off doing the theory test as that wasn't part of the deal 20 odd years ago when i started driving.

One question i have for all you fine folks who'd be more experienced than i am with regard to buying a bike. When buying a car people are advised to bring a mechanic with them to have a look etc, make sure the yoke is mechanically sound, so i'd assume its the same for bikes. Would there be a list available anywhere of lads (or lassies) who'd come with to have a look at a machine? Or would it just be a case of finding a local mechanic? Or find the local bikers and ask one of them to come with?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dubal2008

The Catagory AM only covers you on a 50cc or Trike so you will still have to do IBT And Theory and as for choosing a bike, i,m going down the dealer route for my first one then in future i,ll have a better idea...I,m looking at Yamaha MT07 which is a nice light bike with a low centre of gravity

I,m not suprised you bought new, the MT07 new is approx €8300 but I,m sure there would be a better deal to be done in the current situation..
    A two year old one still sells for approx €7200 ,,, pure madness compared with cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

much like Banana Republic I'm at the very start of the process. I have Cat AM on the licence but I'd feel better off doing the theory test as that wasn't part of the deal 20 odd years ago when i started driving.

One question i have for all you fine folks who'd be more experienced than i am with regard to buying a bike. When buying a car people are advised to bring a mechanic with them to have a look etc, make sure the yoke is mechanically sound, so i'd assume its the same for bikes. Would there be a list available anywhere of lads (or lassies) who'd come with to have a look at a machine? Or would it just be a case of finding a local mechanic? Or find the local bikers and ask one of them to come with?

In that case I would ask whoever is selling the bike do you mind if a mechanic can have a look at it, either drop it in or drive it yourself, depending on the seller but that’s what I do with cars so I’m sure the logic should work. I’d be going second hand anyway for a starter. Thinking of going IBT on a 600 think he’s got a Fazer out there that’ll be a right bike to learn on, my friends say it saves hating to do an IBT again in a few years.

dubal2008 wrote: »
    The Catagory AM only covers you on a 50cc or Trike so you will still have to do IBT And Theory and as for choosing a bike, i,m going down the dealer route for my first one then in future i,ll have a better idea...I,m looking at Yamaha MT07 which is a nice light bike with a low centre of gravity

That looks very nice, you going for Black colour?

• Advertisement

I prefer the white version

dubal2008 wrote: »
    I prefer the white version

Must check that out. Let me know if you get it, no cool to see it and how you find the drive.

I found a great thread so I’ll end it here, it has much more info, thanks for all the guidance :D Here the link
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056323977/1/#post73224244

Advertisement