Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bikes on donedeal, ebay, adverts etc..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There's a fella in Wicklow will source a bike you want from Germany I think.

I think it's Montana Motorcycles or something.

No idea what he is like to deal with.

I'm sure there's a few others at it as well.

If I am looking to buy within this country what would you say if a good budget for a decent category A bike, I'm thinking about going for the old reliable and one I see recommended often a Suzuki bandit 600.

The majority seem to be hovering around the €2,000 mark

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=Suzuki%20bandit

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Lads I've a couple of bikes to move on but been burned to a crisp before with DD and adverts is there anywhere else to advertise in the country where you don't have to put up with so much crap ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You could try Ebay or Facebook buy and sell groups if you are that way inclined. Other than that specific bike forums?

any 2 stroke?

I shouldn't really be buying another bike but I might be tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

What have ya got might be in the market for something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Done Deal is unfortunately the best option. They simply have the biggest audience. Adverts.....Jesus wept, swap for an iphone,etc. FB Marketplace will have most buyers thinking you're either a Scummer or a Conman. There are the couple of decent Bike-selling pages on FB, but you are limiting your potential audience.

I sold 4 bikes on DD in the last 8 months or so. All were decently priced, and all sold within a week at close enough to the asking price. Out of curiosity, what happened to you before that is putting you off DD ?

No strokers unfortunately lol I've 2 Honda magnas, a yellow 95 750 and a blue 700 californian import that would be kinda rare think it's an 85

@mgbgt1978 lads ringing offering me cars, projects etc for bikes and one lad got abusive when I refused to take a horse in part trade for a fireblade, my ads just seem to attract muppets 😂

I'd actually love a magna to Bob out but I'm more inclined to upgrade to a 1000cc sports

Magna should attract a decent buyer though, ah mate it's everyone I bought a car lately. The guy was telling me some lad bought he's mammy to view it and haggle before I went up to it haha.

• Advertisement

I know there are plenty of Muppets out there (Joe Duffy has made a career out of letting them phone him up 😁), but I have rarely come across them on DD when selling Cars or Bikes.Maybe I'm just lucky, I've had loads of sh!te-filled Tools when I'm trying to purchase stuff, but that's probably where my bad luck on DD comes into play 😉.

I have 3 rules for selling on DD.

I am not travelling to meet you. It's not my fault you live 120 miles away from me.

I will not talk money over the phone. If you're interested come and look...and then we can negotiate.

I will break Rule no. 2 if you're miles away,are very interested, and I honestly believe you are keen to buy. But any deal made over the phone is the final price, and not a new starting price.

Correction, just checked the vf700 is an 87 and yeah they make a nice bobber, might dig em out get some decent pics and try DD no way I'm goin to adverts that place is septic

Well, there's only one Magna on DD at the moment (an '82 at 2k). So at least you're not competing with a load of them 😀

If that kind of money seems OK to you I'd stick them up in 2 separate Ad's at around 2.2k and hope for 1,900 or so.Sorry for offending you if you were expecting to ask for way more.......if you know they are worth less then price them fairly. They will sell if the asking price is fair and they are as described in the Ad.

edit; don't do what the guy selling the Magna on DD did....."starts and drives"

There's a red 90's model too.

You know that's one of the first questions most people ask about a vechicle, if it starts and drives, right?

It's an old OK condition 80's Magna they don't have the following the 90's model would have, ads not great but far from the worst I've seen lately.

He'll never be competing with loads of them Magna are a rare enough bike over here, the 250 are far more prevalent

It's the wording that's wrong.

Advertise it as "Running well" , not "starts and drives". That just makes it sound like it's a total piece of crap that sparks up now and again.

whatever way the 1st comment looked it seemed at first glance that both bikes are '80s.

Well there's a good few 90's magnas about but the 700 california is very rare over this side of the pond as it was a special build because of californias laws but only someone that knows that models history will appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Looking at some of the Ads on adverts and donedeal, its as if some of them don't want to sell their bikes, the lack of photos and info on the bikes are abysmal.

Here's one :

Detailed Info

Description

any questions and information, call me

FFS, Another one had 3 photos the name and the year, didn't mention it had an electric screen, keyless ignition and had gotten the kilometers wrong, the clocksaid 6300 and they put in 63000.

Rant oveer

There's loads of that, and if ya ask a question some of them act like ya asked for a go on their mother

Time to blow the cobwebs off this thread.

6k for a 1998 bandit 😂

Have we actually lost our minds or what?

Adding bits on doesn't make it worth more ffs.

Older bikes in their original state is what is more sought after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Unfortunately the type that are into 'fighters tend to value their one-off creations in terms of their time spent regardless of what the end product looks like.

Custom machinery is made to the taste of the customiser not the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nice bike tbf. No way I would be parting with that kind of cash for it though

No mention of milage even.

I reckon he'll manage to get over 2k for it if he finds someone clueless who thinks it looks cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

That was the bike in the background of the Street Fighter video game in 1991... some Comicon collector will buy it to display beside his 'vintage' arcade machine and collection of Pokemons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Whoever writes the Bikeworld adds on donedeal would want to be taken out the back and shot. For new and 2nd hand bikes there are no details on the actual bike, only marketing shite from the manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Its been like that for a while and completely turns me off buying anything from them. I'm not going begging for basic information about a bike.

Post edited by blade1 on

I'm currently thinking about an FJR now, I want something with a big fairing that I can ride in all weathers. Shaft drive and a bit of punch.

Prices on the continent are way better than here, lots of people thinking theirs is gold plated.

Anyone ever had an ex-police bike? They are good value for their year and a solo seat doesn't really bother me as I don't take pillions.

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/yamaha-fjr-1300-gasoline-white-94a9bbc4-fa43-443e-9669-ad7ebd01e56d?cldtidx=4&lastSeenGuidPresent=true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

The thing about ex Police bikes is that even though they’ve high mileage done, they are serviced on time, every time and no expense is spared with regard to parts being replaced before they would be on other bikes.

However, I’d only buy it if it was directly out of service and from the police sales agent.

I guess it depends on what you consider high mileage, I think with litrebikes you are not going to wear them out in 100,00km if serviced. I found another one that looks a bit more grimy than that one and with an extra 50k on the clock but nearly half the price.

I'm thinking even if it needs a few hundred spent on it, there should be reasonable value to be got out of it.

I guess what I'm saying is that mileage doesn't phase me that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

CJ, I bought a burgman 650 exec about a month ago and its the bike I use 80% of the time now. Even got a tuccano skirt thing for it. Best weather protection with the fairings and screen I've ever had and it really shoots off the line, drove it back from Cork and just sat at 150km/h without missing a beat. Handling wouldn't be the best with the small wheels though however the electric retractractible mirrors makes up for it squezzing through traffic. Its got heated seats and bars too, I'm like a pensioner being wheeled out in his chair to the park with a blanket and gloves on :)

Advertisement