Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificial tree for outside space

Options
  • 18-04-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    At the moment we have a very small outside space. We should have access to a larger rooftop garden by next summer but for now we would like to put in some seating and a tree in the corner or the space (see picture)
    Has anyone used artificial trees outside? We would like the tree to provide a canopy of sorts in order to hand lights off it.
    If artificial ones aren't great can someone recomment a small tree that would do similar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Heres a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How much sun does it get?

And where did you get your doors from? :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    How much sun does it get?

And where did you get your doors from? :pac:

It gets a pretty good amount of sun to be honest.but only from about 3 foot off rhe ground
    As for the doors i had a guy in the UK make them for me. Definitely would not recommend him as it was an absolute saga to get them to me.
    Here they are just before we got all the glass installed

Thanks!

I would consider a container grown fig for that space, if there's enough sun and you like figs.

Artificial tree seems like a real wasted opportunity.

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks!

I would consider a container grown fig for that space, if there's enough sun and you like figs.

Artificial tree seems like a real wasted opportunity.
    Yeah i was just going for the artificial because i might be able to position the overhang how I like.
    I might take a look at the fig although at first glance they look a bit wide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why not put up some sort of arch - like a rose arch against the wall - and hang the lights off it, you could have a seat under it, or a small table. You might also get some artificial outdoor trailing stuff to weave through the arch, more manageable and less expensive than a tree. I'd be inclined to go to a garden centre and buy a couple of large pots that you could put some phormiums or large ferns in - make sure you get the phormiums that are happy in shade. You could put a few bulbs or smaller plants in the pots too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect an artificial tree which looked convincing and was big enough to be worthwhile would not be cheap.

I guess im looking for something like attached picture but on a smaller scale.
    You are probably right that itll be expensive for a decent artificial one.

In relation to the arch, its not a look I'd be going for. I do think it might achieve what i describe in the OP but it feels a bit old fashioned (no offense to anyone who has them)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The image is of a maybe 50 -100 year old tree, even on a smaller scale you would be looking at something pretty massive to get any sort of effect at all. If you interpret 'arch' as some sort of pergola, canopy, timber structure that sits overhead it would still be a much more approachable way of getting a bit of height and drama into the area, it doesn't have to be a twee little wrought iron affair or even one of those ready made affairs you buy in Woodies.

If you were prepared to invest a bit, go to a sawmill and see if you can organise an entire tree trunk with a branch or two and get it delivered to your yard, it would have to be well anchored to the ground and a solid wall and would not be a diy job, but could be amazing. It would have to be organised as trees don't tend to be moved around complete with branches but it might be possible. The other thing I was describing would be a lot easier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry, but an artificial tree will look tacky. It's up there with the fake grass in butcher shops.

You want a mature small tree, with strong branches. I recommend a cherry blossom tree.

Acer would also be perfect there, it's a sheltered spot by the look of it, but would not be suitable for lights hanging off it.

You could try something sculptural, like a wrought iron tree, but really the softness of real planting will make a big difference and creat that courtyard effect.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.
    I kind of agree the artificial tree of old look tacky but apparently the new ones are much more realistic.
    I think I'll have to plump for a real tree.
    If i could find an image of what i have in my head it would be a whole lot easier 😂

I guess the advice is not to go with artificial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Why don't you put few lanes across and plant Ivy or Wisteria instead?

510160.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Or something like this?

510166.jpg

seannash wrote: »
    I guess the advice is not to go with artificial

Well this is a gardening forum, so naturally suggestions are going to be biased towards the horticultural.

Plastic plants are the.sex dolls of the gardening world. Whatever floats your boat :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not a good time to recommend it, but if you're near North county Dublin, Tully's nurseries stock all sorts of sizes of potted trees.

Advertisement