Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension Lead Thermal Cutout

Options
  • 18-04-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I used an extension lead to connect a hottub in the garden and the thermal cut out tripped a couple of times, before I went an alternative route.

Now the extension lead is not working fully - the plug fuse is fine, it powers a lamp, but it flickers and it wont run power tools.

So I opened it up to check - the incoming voltage is 230V, as expected, but on the other side of the thermal cut out it is 190V, which probably explains the issue

Can I swap out the cut out device, or is there another fix (other than bypassing the cut out or throwing the lead away)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Your supply is to small to run the hot tub. It sounds like a fire waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tombrown

I resolved the hottub situation (i think it was more to do with using a long extension lead that wasn't unwound - I have another shorter one, also with a thermal trip, and it is working fine)

But that wasn't my question - I am asking about what my options are for repairing the initial lead

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

You could bypass the overload protection on socket or replace the outlet with a steel surface box and socket with a gland for cable entry

Advertisement