Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universities/colleges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

well thats a scam. My university (I work in one) includes everything for the 3K fee.

Counselling especially is a free service and very important now.

what does the 3K cover is not student services

Landscaping, perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Universities, like everyone else are trying to react to the crises, which is a bit of a moving feast. Some scenarios currently in discussion:

Educational model will be online for the foreseeable future. Most colleges planning out for two years with this approach, to enable them to deal with at least one if not two resurgences of the virus and further lock-downs.

Only 20% of the total student body will be on campus at any time. One model is to bring each cohort (e.g. first years) in for one continuous week per month for labs, tutorials, etc. and then clean down between cohorts.

In as far as possible, students will be fixed to a location and lectures will move between classes. Social distancing in classes will mean much smaller classes, labs, etc.

Student residence converted to hostel style accommodation (you stay for 5-6 days per month) with clean down between residents.

On the finances. Social distancing is driving up costs. Loss of income from student residence and international students resulting in significant revenue loss, all resulting in massive financial crises brewing in the sector. Sector have asked Government for €300m bailout - not going to happen so watch out for mergers down the road as colleges try to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

well thats a scam. My university (I work in one) includes everything for the 3K fee.

Counselling especially is a free service and very important now.

what does the 3K cover is not student services

NUIG have a local charge, agreed with SU? I think there was a vote years ago.

224 euro.

The levy is allocated to the following activities: sports clubs, societies, Students Union, student health unit, Flirt FM, Áras na Mac Léinn and the Student Project Fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

I think we are looking at 10% of the student body on campus at any one time - broken into cohorts. Our classes are already small but take place in small classrooms (ironic I know).

I do feel sympathy for new students - especially first years - who wont get the normal student experience. Online classes and assessesments to remain - for the most part anyway. We did have some in person assessments recently but 95% were online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Where do you suggest students to stay when they are up for 2 days at a time?

Sharing a room with another student that may not be on campus the same days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Social distancing goes out the window there

Take your bed clothes away plus give a clean down when leaving.

Could be worked out.

lots of accommodation is now available - Im in Dublin sorry.

Student accomodation may change to accommodate the changes in third level.

We dont expect the same number of international students this coming year - lots cant or wont travel.

Commuting may be an option for a lot of people.

Some students may still rent full time but be able to work more hours (if they wish/if jobs available).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Ucc students pay a fee of €170 for the mardyke gym and other student services.

That fee is set by the Student Union AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

The most recent plans at my UK uni are that large lectures will be online-only (typically things like first year survey courses). Seminar groups will hopefully proceed in-person (I'm in the humanities). Certain cohorts are being prioritised for in-person teaching: first years, third-year modules that contribute to the dissertation, and Master's students. There will be online provision for those who can't come to campus in some form.

I feel for our second years as for at least the first term, they'll be online-only with no in-person teaching. I can well imagine they will feel truly shafted when the news reaches them...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

The NUIG plan specifically if anyone is interested:
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/media/registrationoffice/files/Revised-Semester-Dates-202021.pdf

(Apologies if it's already been posted)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What about further education colleges for the future? They have some very good courses without the huge costs of universities. If classes go online, I presume classes will be recorded and you can catch up in your own time. I'd almost take advantage and sign up for a course if I knew this will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Even with the student fee of 3k roughly having much of your course available online will reduce accommodation costs hugely with the need to be in Dublin maybe only 1 night a week which could be facilitated on campus in a hostel type set up or even B and B facility close by .
    There will be huge benefit to those looking to buy homes in clonskeagh , ranelagh , stillorgan areas near UCD and similarity other areas near colleges will return to a more residential neighbourhood. . Will impact landlords near university but many of them have made plenty over the years .

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Even with the student fee of 3k roughly having much of your course available online will reduce accommodation costs hugely with the need to be in Dublin maybe only 1 night a week which could be facilitated on campus in a hostel type set up or even B and B facility close by .
    There will be huge benefit to those looking to buy homes in clonskeagh , ranelagh , stillorgan areas near UCD and similarity other areas near colleges will return to a more residential neighbourhood. . Will impact landlords near university but many of them have made plenty over the years .

No it won’t. The average price of student accommodation is between €100 to €150 per week in Cork. It could cost the same to get a hotel room or a B&b and paying for your train and bus up and down. It also would eliminate tons of student jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

No it won’t. The average price of student accommodation is between €100 to €150 per week in Cork. It could cost the same to get a hotel room or a B&b and paying for your train and bus up and down. It also would eliminate tons of student jobs.

A lot different in Dublin and what happens in Dublin is all the government really care about .
    The student accommodation units on the campuses could be let out nightly Etc if there’s going to be few full time renters and it would save students plenty . UCD are doing lectures in September online and friend at work from wexford daughter will do online from home and commute for lab work one day a week seems to be her story for the coming autumn anyways . It will help in the housing crisis in the CAPITAL as well freeing up plenty houses near the likes of UCD , Trinity , DCU etc

LuasSimon wrote: »
    A lot different in Dublin and what happens in Dublin is all the government really care about .
    The student accommodation units on the campuses could be let out nightly Etc if there’s going to be few full time renters and it would save students plenty . UCD are doing lectures in September online and friend at work from wexford daughter will do online from home and commute for lab work one day a week seems to be her story for the coming autumn anyways . It will help in the housing crisis in the CAPITAL as well freeing up plenty houses near the likes of UCD , Trinity , DCU etc

Landlords that have been renting to students are not going to rent them out to your average family they won’t get half the money they’re getting off students Hahahaha. This is only going to be short term.

nobody knows yet how campus accomodation will respond - they may change their business plan to respond to this. Maybe they dont know yet.

The current average price for accomodation in Cork may be between 100-150 per week. That will probably change. There wont be the same demand come September. Unless of course students decide to stay on campus or near campus and still attend online classes.

For any returning student I would strongly recommend finding out what your colleges plan for next year - even provisionally.

Blended Learning is what my university is calling it. Not sure if the LC students know yet.

Landlords that have been renting to students are not going to rent them out to your average family they won’t get half the money they’re getting off students Hahahaha. This is only going to be short term.

Landlords will rent those out - airbnbs are all up for the rent now. Certain campus accomodation is normally converted to hostels in summertime (in galway for sure).

Workers pay more rent than students.

By short term do you mean just next academic year then yeah

Landlords will rent those out - airbnbs are all up for the rent now. Certain campus accomodation is normally converted to hostels in summertime (in galway for sure).

Workers pay more rent than students.

By short term do you mean just next academic year then yeah

Maybe in apartments workers pay more. Not in houses near the colleges. And yeah the next academic year.

Maybe in apartments workers pay more. Not in houses near the colleges. And yeah the next academic year.

Well not currently no but with less students on campus people might. It would be quieter for sure.

I think at the moment my university plans online classes and assessments for semester 1 only - with limited campus access. 10% of the student population being on campus based on current plans.

The houses near colleges normally only take students though. No students they will be freed up for workers or whoever else wants them.

Depends up to students as to what they want to do - would you still rent full time if all your classes are online and you have limited access to your campus. Some people will still have to id say.

Landlords will rent to anyone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

If my lecturers posted decent voice notes like several already do to be fair to them, myself and my class could easily do remote learning next semester. We're a "social science". Tutorials were done via moodle and zoom easily repeatable. There wouldn't really be any need to have us on campus. To be fair they also organised for us to have access to paid online libraries for our exams.

• Advertisement

Mjolnir wrote: »
    If my lecturers posted decent voice notes like several already do to be fair to them, myself and my class could easily do remote learning next semester. We're a "social science". Tutorials were done via moodle and zoom easily repeatable. There wouldn't really be any need to have us on campus. To be fair they also organised for us to have access to paid online libraries for our exams.

well hopefully you can provide feedback - if not contact your SU. Classes went online very suddenly for everyone.

Wouldnt you miss campus though and the whole experience.

At least returning students have had the college campus experience. LC students wont have that - yet

well hopefully you can provide feedback - if not contact your SU. Classes went online very suddenly for everyone.

At least returning students have had the college campus experience. LC students wont have that - yet

Nope I'm a mature student in my late 20's, I travelled first semester stayed in digs in second, I'd love to not have such a financial burden.
    Was previously in college too and left, so to me its it's not about "the campus experience" I go in then go do my own stuff when I'm done. Yea they'll miss out but they'll have plenty more time to catch up on it.
    If any ug are brought in make it 1st and final years they need it the most.

Nope I'm a mature student in my late 20's, I travelled first semester stayed in digs in second, I'd love to not have such a financial burden.
    Was previously in college too and left, so to me its it's not about "the campus experience" I go in then go do my own stuff when I'm done. Yea they'll miss out but they'll have plenty more time to catch up on it.
    If any ug are brought in make it 1st and final years they need it the most.

yeah I think thats the plan - some classes may be on campus regardless of years as they may need to be (labs etc).

Lots of students unfortunately wont be able to come back - immunocomprised etc so everyone will need to catered for.

yeah I think thats the plan - some classes may be on campus regardless of years as they may need to be (labs etc).

Lots of students unfortunately wont be able to come back - immunocomprised etc so everyone will need to catered for.

STEM subjects will need to be on campus for labs, first years need to get a feel for how college works and final years need to be given enough attention for obvious reasons. The rest of us if given adequate notes can be left at home.
    It'll be an interesting year for staff and students.

yeah interesting for sure..

Article in irish times today saying most students will defer this coming year. I assume they mean 1st years. Students need to be told though that it will be blended learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭granturismo

STEM subjects will need to be on campus for labs, ....

If social distancing is required in September, labs will not return to normal. There will be a reduced number of labs, labs will be shorter with probably the lab intro and any related assessments online, labs will probably be repeated or altered another way to cope with the reduced numbers allowed, students may rotate in and out of a lab session. 2m or 1.5m distance significantly reduces the numbers allowed compared to normal times. There will be an increase in the number of video demonstrations replacing bench top laps where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

If social distancing is required in September, labs will not return to normal. There will be a reduced number of labs, labs will be shorter with probably the lab intro and any related assessments online, labs will probably be repeated or altered another way to cope with the reduced numbers allowed, students may rotate in and out of a lab session. 2m or 1.5m distance significantly reduces the numbers allowed compared to normal times. There will be an increase in the number of video demonstrations replacing bench top laps where possible.

Speaking as a former lab demonstrator, I wish that the people in charge would use this as an opportunity to improve the labs, there's a lot of useless/pointless things about them that should have been changed YEARS ago!

When I was demonstrating, students would work in pairs so it would be relatively easy to just switch to one person per bench for social distancing.

However, that drives the cost up significantly (twice as many labs, demonstrators, materials etc.) and I just don't know how that can be solved...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Why are colleges shutting down so much compared to the schools?

Not only are schools returning earlier, it seems like they'll be taking far more of a "business as usual" approach. At least compared to colleges, where it looks like in person lectures are going to be either outright cancelled or the capacity reduced by 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Romanticising the college experience is quite unfair for students who are forced to commute full time. I've never had this 'experience' and I still find college enjoyable. We're all in the same boat now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why are colleges shutting down so much compared to the schools?

Not only are schools returning earlier, it seems like they'll be taking far more of a "business as usual" approach. At least compared to colleges, where it looks like in person lectures are going to be either outright cancelled or the capacity reduced by 90%.

I'd imagine it's a few reasons, some of which might be

1. Kids seem to be least at risk category for severe symptoms, comparatively mature students and many lecturers or support staff I'd imagine would fall into the high risk categories.

2. You're talking about orders of magnitude in terms of people. Class sizes for schools are probably around 25-30. In University you can have 400+ in a lecture hall.

Secondary schools might have 1,000 people on campus, universities might have 20,000 - 30,000 +.

Advertisement