Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small leak - safe to ride?

Options
  • 18-04-2020 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭

Hey folks looking for some guidance here on my Kawa Z1000SX.

So the bike fell over recently which snapped the left gear lever and scratched the bung protectors (that's what they there for). All in all I was happy enough that it wasn't any worse.

Anyway got to work and left boot was a little wet (think splashback at a urinal :p ) and again on the way home. Bikes been sitting there for about ten days now and there is a very small amount of fluid between the front wheel and the radiator. Doesn't seem to smell of much and definitely not oil (level ok). Front break fluid still seems normal level so I'm guessing coolant but I'm useless when it comes to this stuff. I did feel the front break was a bit soft though which is weird especially since the service was only about 3k km ago (though before the winter) but stopping power seemed fine. Didn't really test it though.

Rang the garage and they can only see it on friday. No worries but will take the car to work this week. However the garage is about half way between work and home and since he wants me to drop it in after work on thursday I'd like to take the bike to work to drop it in afterwards. Total distance about 85km.

So basically I'm wonder what the fluid is and whether the bike would survive the trip? If not ill have to come home and then baby it the 25km back to the garage.

The leak doesn't seem to be much. A couple of drops per hour maybe but it has been leaking for a good ten days now so dunno how much is gone of whatever the fluid is. I have attached a photo so you can see where the dampness is.

Any input greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Doyler365

Coolant leak out of the radiator or the hoses I'm guessing. Check the coolant levels

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yeah from my complete idiots knowledge that would fits with my thinking. Will figure out how to check the coolant level :)

I'm guessing if the coolant is low and I need to baby it to the garage I'd just need to take it very easy and keep revs low to keep engine temp down as much as possible?

EDIT: Coolant levels are still fine so I guess there is very little leaking. Will get it sorted this week. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Feel around the fork seals with a dry finger and he brake lines and bleed nipple's.

It does look like coolant though and can come out of the bikes on its side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Long Story short - Tried to bring it to the garage this morning and within 5 minutes it was up to 110C and up as far as 120C+ before I decided that I'd better stop.

Called the garage who picked up the bike (left side of the bike looked like it had been painted blue with all the coolant). Got a call this afternoon to say that the radiator needs to be replaced as well as a front break part.

Costly error on my part to not ensure the kick stand was fully engaged but so is life.

Advertisement