Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British attitudes towards Northern Ireland?

Options
  • 18-04-2020 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Came across a post on Facebook slating Birmingham as a terrible city in the UK (never been there so cant comment). Reading through the comments though there was one which had me inspired to start a thread asking this....someone said take back Northern Ireland and quite a few likes to that too.

Do the British see NI as part of them, same as Wales and Scotland, or is NI just seen as "oh yeah, them too". Are they proud to have NI belong to them?

Interested to know thoughts and opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Most of them know as much about Ireland as a whole as they do about Paraguay or Indonesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Most of them know as much about Ireland as a whole as they do about Paraguay or Indonesia.

I thought as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Paul_Crosby

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

That would apply to any part of the U.K. Try asking someone from Essex about Scotland/ Northumberland. I have no doubt they would offload the Six Counties in the morning if they could

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Came across a post on Facebook slating Birmingham as a terrible city in the UK (never been there so cant comment). Reading through the comments though there was one which had me inspired to start a thread asking this....someone said take back Northern Ireland and quite a few likes to that too.

Do the British see NI as part of them, same as Wales and Scotland, or is NI just seen as "oh yeah, them too". Are they proud to have NI belong to them?

Interested to know thoughts and opinions.

Your average Brit doesn't care one whit about NI. Fiscal conservatives see it as a burden while many liberals and the left would probably see it rejoin the republic. True unionists on the mainland have taken a beating as voters here would prefer to have Brexit.

A lot of people here in fairness are happy to ask questions and learn about it but it's not something they seem to be educated about. Most people's knowledge about it seems to be that a lot of people died there in the latter half of the twentieth century.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

"Who are the DUP" was one of the top google searches for a few days after Teresa May did that deal

Entirely understandable, the same would happen if Plaid Cymru held the balance of power

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I’ve previously asked an English friend of mine if he felt any affiliation with the people of Northern Ireland as fellow British and he said no and that he just considered them Irish. I reckon that attitude is quite common throughout the UK.

I’ve previously asked an English friend of mine if he felt any affiliation with the people of Northern Ireland as fellow British and he said no and that he just considered them Irish. I reckon that attitude is quite common throughout the UK.

When loyalists go to England they get quite taken aback at being called a paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The people in Northern Ireland are not British no matter how much the unionists want to be.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The people in Northern Ireland are not British no matter how much the unionists want to be.

Most of the sensible protestants consider themselves as both, they know what island they are from even if they have British identity, so they have no shame in being called, or calling themselves Irish, even if they also identify as British

Carl Frampton for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

The Brits would hand it back in a heart beat. Costs them a fortune it keep NI afloat. Only problem is we can't afford it. This pandemic won't help the cause for a referendum either.........we're more in debt than ever!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Maybe we could have one to get opinions of people on both sides of the Border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Edgware wrote: »
    That would apply to any part of the U.K. Try asking someone from Essex about Scotland/ Northumberland.

Nail on the head, the UK is made up of four main countries/regions, so ask somebody from Glasgow about some in-depth knowledge of Wales, or what about asking somebody from Cornwall about the workings of the Scottish parliament. Some of the most British people live in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

It must be terrifying being a Unionist in the North. It's my understanding that the population gap between Catholics and Protestants is closing. Unless they've buried their heads in the sand they know full well that they are tolerated by the UK Govt. As has been said people in mainland Britain don't know a lot about the North. The only possible thing that might keep the UK Govt hanging in is a reluctance to see a further diminution of the empire. Obviously though if demographics continue as they are going they're may be a referendum triggered within the North.

holyhead wrote: »
    It must be terrifying being a Unionist in the North. It's my understanding that the population gap between Catholics and Protestants is closing. Unless they've buried their heads in the sand they know full well that they are tolerated by the UK Govt. As has been said people in mainland Britain don't know a lot about the North. The only possible thing that might keep the UK Govt hanging in is a reluctance to see a further diminution of the empire. Obviously though if demographics continue as they are going they're may be a referendum triggered within the North.

You're spot on. Catholics will out number protestants before long. But do all Catholics want a united Ireland or are many happy with that status quo??

And would a referendum pass in the South??? I doubt it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The English aren't as bad as the Scots. I dislike the English as a national identity but that doesn't mean I hate every English human. They have a sense of ownership over Ulster yet if Paddy went over to England and claimed that as him homeland that would be a different story. Paddy from Derry will be viewed as a foreigner yet they claim that Ulster is a home nation. I want nothing to do with the whole thing, it was just a curse to be born into post plantation Ulster, simple as that.

holyhead wrote: »

They've been burying their heads in the sand for decades now. They had absolutely everything. A huge European market to sell into, subsidies and handouts from both London and Brussels and control of Northern Ireland for decades.

They campaigned for Brexit out of simple ideological stupidity. They've done this to themselves so they can reap what they've sown.

You're spot on. Catholics will out number protestants before long. But do all Catholics want a united Ireland or are many happy with that status quo??

And would a referendum pass in the South??? I doubt it.

A bad run at this coronavirus could tip.balance aswell.....iirc the unionist population is top heavy age wise and falls away drastically u65

A referendum will pass in south imo,by well over 70%,how can anyone argue againest it,with the way english have carried on surronding coronavirus??

They should have no say in our island ever again,

A bad run at this coronavirus could tip.balance aswell.....iirc the unionist population is top heavy age wise and falls away drastically u65

A referendum will pass in south imo,by well over 70%,how can anyone argue againest it,with the way english have carried on surronding coronavirus??

When the South starts looking at the cost they might be slow enough to vote yes.
    Its just not a matter of a border poll. I do believe with proper economic management that we could make the island work but only with a very significant majority across the the community in favour of a united Ireland. Anyone who believes that 50% plus 1 will work is not in the real world. We would be back to 1922

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

When the South starts looking at the cost they might be slow enough to vote yes.
    Its just not a matter of a border poll. I do believe with proper economic management that we could make the island work but only with a very significant majority across the the community in favour of a united Ireland. Anyone who believes that 50% plus 1 will work is not in the real world. We would be back to 1922

I don’t think we would be back to 1922. Intolerance of terrorist acts and increased security surveillance would make such attacks very difficult. It’s not like we would be dealing with suicide attacks either.

I don't know where you're pull 70% from ??? I can't see that at all. The budget is the issue.....it will cost us a fortune to take on the North. Economically the North could be turned around but that would take a long time particularly if there's a significant % against unification up there.

Britian would have to agree to subsidise the North for years after any reunification to sway residents in the South to pass such a referendum. IMO.

This crisis at present won't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What would be the benefit of Northern Ireland leaving the UK and joining the ROI?

What would be he point of Northern Ireland replacing London with Dublin as their Capital City?

What would be the advantage of becoming part of a United island over being in the United Kingdom?

What would be the point of being ruled by Brussels (via Dublin), as opposed to having devolved power from London.....

I don’t think we would be back to 1922. Intolerance of terrorist acts and increased security surveillance would make such attacks very difficult. It’s not like we would be dealing with suicide attacks either.
    The Provisional IRA kept a terrorist campaign going for 25 years with minimal support.
    There are thousands of Loyalists who will never agree to a United Ireland. In such circumstances we would have massive security bills and dont expect Britain to pay

What would be the benefit of Northern Ireland leaving the UK and joining the ROI?

What would be he point of Northern Ireland replacing London with Dublin as their Capital City?

Shout would be the advantage of becoming part of a United island over being in the United Kingdom?

What would be the point of being ruled by Brussels (via Dublin), as opposed to having devolved power from London.....

Why not have belfast as capital?

Its likely in a utd ireland unionists would likely hold balance of power after each election (a pyrrhic victory for shinnerz there :D ).....they would be disporportiontely represented amoung irish political circles due to the stv system

Devolved power in stormont deosnt work,dup have seen to that,its a waste of everyones time pretending it deos

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Sinn Fein should place full page adverts in English papers telling the public that they're sending €200,000,000 a week to northern Ireland.

It doesn't even really need to be accurate - just get the English pissed-off about sending their money to the Irish (as they'd see it).

What would be the advantage of becoming part of a United island over being in the United Kingdom?

It's a cultural thing rather than a matter of being in a better position. There are many up North that identify as Irish and feel the North is part of Ireland and for many particularly SF supporters they take a drop in lifestyle to finally have a unified Ireland.

Sinn Fein should place full page adverts in English papers telling the public that they're sending €200,000,000 a week to northern Ireland.

It doesn't even really need to be accurate - just get the English pissed-off about sending their money to the Irish (as they'd see it).

It's irrelevant how the English feel... My understanding is that if there's evidence that a majority up North would favour reunification then a referendum must be triggered.... it's part of the Good Friday Agreement.

It's about momentum in Ireland ..... North and South.

The Scottish and Welsh pay taxes too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Scottish and Welsh pay taxes too

They'd have a better understanding. I'd actually target the south of England Tory voter if I was trying to influence public opinion.

Advertisement