Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British attitudes towards Northern Ireland?

Options
124»

Comments

Fuk no...it's worse than Cork

I agree,but in reality it belongs in waterford

Irelands oldest and considered by many to be our best city

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chaikhosi

As a Scot, over in Ireland now after living in England for a good few years, can tell ye there's no shortage of English who believe either Scotland is already independent because it's got a parliament and they see nippie sweetie on tv, or they know it isn't but think Ireland is still part of the UK too. Brexit is reducing the level of ignorance but it's far from gone yet.
    But the can't just "get rid" of one part of the United Kingdom, unless that country or region wishes to leave by their own free will. Take Scotland as another example, the rest of the UK can't just tell them to pack up & leave, although they may do anyway post Brexit?

And if Scotland breaks away,, well then who knows what's next ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

They wanted the North 100 years ago because it was the economic and industrial hub of Ireland. Left us with the rest. North had an huge mill and steel/ship industry in the past .....it was valuable then. Brits haven't invested anything in it since and now happy to give it back. Better be offering a fab divorce settlement. Because we can't afford to take it on.

Northern Ireland was a staging post from which the brits could quickly reinvade and take over Ireland should another threaten Britain by trying to take Ireland first. The two world wars kept that mentality going with the fear Germany would invade Ireland and attack Britain from both sides.

I don't see a referendum passing in the south any time soon as it would mean a cut in our standard of living, higher taxes and a loyalist threat. You'll find very few willing to take that on. SF seem to think it's a non issue amazingly

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

The English pretend that want the North of Ireland, but really they don't, we in the south pretend we want the north but really we don't.
    The north is the illegitimate red head retard child that no one wants, but its not acceptable to state this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The Sout East Englanders should stop paying for Northern Ireland.

They should give it to Leo as a Present.

• Advertisement

da_miser wrote: »
    The English pretend that want the North of Ireland, but really they don't, we in the south pretend we want the north but really we don't.
    The north is the illegitimate red head retard child that no one wants, but its not acceptable to state this.

It’s perfectly acceptable because it’s 100% true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I worked for an Irish company (Dublin) in the 1980's that had a strong commercial association with a bigger UK based 'sister' company. The two companies were however entirely separate entities and merely shared an investment stake from the same founder. Nevertheless, the UK company always acted as though they owned us - even though there was no controlling influence whatsoever.

I had to travel over to the UK company once and was amazed when a senior manager heard my 'strange accent' and asked me where I was from. When I replied 'Dublin' he asked if that was in 'my part' or 'their part' ... of Ireland.

This was in the height of the troubles, when IRA bombs were going off in London and elsewhere - I thought that given the circumstances, he should have had at least a basic understanding of the pertaining politics, geography and history at the time.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I worked for an Irish company (Dublin) in the 1980's that had a strong commercial association with a bigger UK based 'sister' company. The two companies were however entirely separate entities and merely shared an investment stake from the same founder. Nevertheless, the UK company always acted as though they owned us - even though there was no controlling influence whatsoever.

I had to travel over to the UK company once and was amazed when a senior manager heard my 'strange accent' and asked me where I was from. When I replied 'Dublin' he asked if that was in 'my part' or 'their part' ... of Ireland.

This was in the height of the troubles, when IRA bombs were going off in London and elsewhere - I thought that given the circumstances, he should have had at least a basic understanding of the pertaining politics, geography and history at the time.
    Keeping Northern Ireland is just a bad habit that they have got in to. It can be hard to break bad habits !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Ger Roe wrote: »

Many mainland British people have an unbalanced view of Ireland/NI,in the early 80s when I first started coming to Ireland work colleagues would ask if I was worried I might get blown up or shot-in all those years I've had one or two 'incidents'but nothing to put me off wanting to relocate to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why not have belfast as capital?

Its likely in a utd ireland unionists would likely hold balance of power after each election (a pyrrhic victory for shinnerz there :D ).....they would be disporportiontely represented amoung irish political circles due to the stv system

Devolved power in stormont deosnt work,dup have seen to that,its a waste of everyones time pretending it deos

Wouldn't they be more proportionately represented due to STV? :confused:

• Advertisement

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Many mainland British people have an unbalanced view of Ireland/NI,in the early 80s when I first started coming to Ireland work colleagues would ask if I was worried I might get blown up or shot-in all those years I've had one or two 'incidents'but nothing to put me off wanting to relocate to Ireland.
    Just checking ! Were you in the RA ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Came across a post on Facebook slating Birmingham as a terrible city in the UK (never been there so cant comment). Reading through the comments though there was one which had me inspired to start a thread asking this....someone said take back Northern Ireland and quite a few likes to that too.

Do the British see NI as part of them, same as Wales and Scotland, or is NI just seen as "oh yeah, them too". Are they proud to have NI belong to them?

Interested to know thoughts and opinions.

We're all paddies to them.

blinding wrote: »
    Just checking ! Were you in the RA ? ?

Perhaps things sounds worse than they were,the 'incidents'amounted to snarky comments in a few pubs and being stopped once on the back roads in Louth on the way to Dundalk market by what I assume was an unofficial RA checkpoint but never any problems in NI to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Perhaps things sounds worse than they were,the 'incidents'amounted to snarky comments in a few pubs and being stopped once on the back roads in Louth on the way to Dundalk market by what I assume was an unofficial RA checkpoint but never any problems in NI to be fair.

The 'Ra had 'official' checkpoints? :)

In all my time (getting close to 60 years) I never heard tell of the IRA operating checkpoints bar the ones in and out of the Free Derry zone.
    You were incredibly unfortunate to have come on one.

In all my time (getting close to 60 years) I never heard tell of the IRA operating checkpoints bar the ones in and out of the Free Derry zone.
    It might have been laid on specifically for him just so that he could have an Experience of Wild Ireland.;);)

Steady there francie,I remember the story of the BA getting 'lost' in Clones.

Steady there francie,I remember the story of the BA getting 'lost' in Clones.

I know you found it hard to accept that the BA had routine problems reading maps up around here. But they did, frequently.
    Maybe this was the checkpoint you came across? :)
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/british-admit-army-incursion-did-occur-26402088.html

I know you found it hard to accept that the BA had routine problems reading maps up around here. But they did, frequently.
    Maybe this was the checkpoint you came across? :)
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/british-admit-army-incursion-did-occur-26402088.html

I visited Clones earlier this year and was surprised just how close it is to the border and agree it would be easy to cross the border by mistake without realising.
    The incident in Louth was in the early 8o`s-I was flagged down by three men who were in ordinary clothes,they asked me where we were going(My wife,2 children and I)I told them Dundalk and that was it really,off we went.Wife`s family member reckoned it would have been the RA but with hindsight could have been BA as you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Totally. I think support for a unified Ireland is overestimated. North and South

Based on?

You don't even know who gets to vote in the ensuing referenda. I don't think your "finger in the air" poll carries much water really.

I really dont see why so many seem to see this as a NI is either part of the UK or part of Ireland. The choice should be either stay in the UK or independence. If after a generation or so of independence its a stable, properly functioning country, approach the unification issue.

That choice isn't on the table.,

The GFA is the only game in town.

If you wish to tear up the GFA you're more than welcome to start campaigning for it.

• Advertisement

I visited Clones earlier this year and was surprised just how close it is to the border and agree it would be easy to cross the border by mistake without realising.
    The incident in Louth was in the early 8o`s-I was flagged down by three men who were in ordinary clothes,they asked me where we were going(My wife,2 children and I)I told them Dundalk and that was it really,off we went.Wife`s family member reckoned it would have been the RA but with hindsight could have been BA as you suggested.

You're in for an awful shock when you get to Blacklion!

Also, going to Clones when the Ulster Championship isn't on is silly.

You're in for an awful shock when you get to Blacklion!

Also, going to Clones when the Ulster Championship isn't on is silly.

Wash yer mouth out yeh haveril.

Advertisement