Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to have a baby but partner doesn't

• 18-04-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am almost 40. I am female. I live with my partner of five years who is six years younger than me. He is perfect for me in every way. He is the man of my dreams plus some more. When we first met, we spoke of how would get married. He told me I would be the mother of his children. That changed then to an "I don't know". He feels having children would be the beginning of the end of his life. Likewise with getting married. We don't own a house, just rent, so we don't have any legal commitments to each other. He doesn't like commitment. I know he loves me.

I would be happy to wait except that I am worried about waiting too long. Today I asked him again about if he wants children. It was again, an "I don't know". I feel that I need to accept that as a no. I have almost no time left. I don't want to break up. I do want children. I don't want any other partner but him. I have looked into sperm donorship. I could go it alone, and, if he wants to stay with me, he can. That way, he can feel free to do what he wants, and I can prioritise my child/children and hope he stays. I haven't said this to anyone else except him. Am I mad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He doesn't like commitment.

Today I asked him again about if he wants children. It was again, an "I don't know".

I do want children.

I can prioritise my child/children and hope he stays.

What does that mean, that he doesn't like commitment? He must commit to certain things..... like turning up for work at a certain time for example.

Maybe it's not that he doesn't like commitment - it's that he doesn't want to grow up. Without more details about him, we can't tell.

He told you he wanted kids... he kind of sucked you in there... it's not as if he didn't know that you wanted some.

He needs to now say "I don't want kids" and then you deal with that by either breaking up or going down the donor route.

Now, how committed to you would he be when you bring a child into the house and he has to deal with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

You are mad to think that your reationship could survive a sperm donor baby. you live with this partner and to take such action would simply be to end the relationship, albeit in a cowardly way that would force him to do the breaking up, as your behaviour would be unreasonable.

i understand your wish to have a baby, but you cannot strong arm your partner into it. make a decision, which is more important, and if its having a baby go ahead and make your plans, tell your partner it is a dealbreaker for you and you will be ending the relationship because your goals are so divergent.

assuming your partner agrees you should break up, you need to sort your living situaion and finances and see if you could indeend go it solo, or search for a new partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

He doesn't want a child, you do. He can still father a child into old age. You don't have that option.
    Sorry to be blunt but you need to decide him or a child. Sounds like you can't have both.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He doesn't want a child, you do. He can still father a child into old age. You don't have that option.
    Sorry to be blunt but you need to decide him or a child. Sounds like you can't have both.

Agreed op it's a ****ty choice but at 40 you are already high risk for a first time pregnancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

In a covid19 related interview I heard a medical professional state that women over 36 can’t afford to wait a few months for fertility treatment.

Your fella isn’t wrong OP. Starting a family will be the end of his current lifestyle.

You were honest with him from the get go. He seems to be messing you about.

If you want a family, you really can’t afford to wait. You need to know your own mind, independent of your boyfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Sounds like he’s strung you along by telling you what you wanted to hear.

He doesn’t want to have a child with you so he won’t want to raise a sperm donor baby so it’s time for you to move on.

Tough as that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think you really need to have a very frank discussion with your boyfriend.

He's well aware of how old you are so if children are part of your future it's really time to act.

You also need to be prepared to walk away if you don't get the answer you want.

Staying together and having a sperm donor baby is not going to work, so I wouldn't even entertain that idea.

I would think very long and hard about going down the sperm donor route. If you can't imagine your life without a child then absolutely go for it. However, having a baby is bloody hard work. You're older it's going to take your body longer to recover and I'm not talking about getting your figure back. Expectation and reality when it comes to babies are miles apart and it's a steep learning curve.

Yes of course it's doable, there are plenty of single parents who have no option but to do it, but go in with your eyes wide open. If you do go down the single parent route how much of a support network would you have?

Your boyfriend really needs to give a yes or no answer after that its up to you how you proceed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No commitment from him whatsoever -no marriage, no engagement, no saving for a home, no family wanted.He is as free as a bird to leave and can just up and walk away tomorrow.

You should get some proper fertility advice before making any difficult conversations or decisions regarding leaving him. At 40 it may well be too late for you to have a child - you need to find out before you make life changing decisions about your relationship.

I understand there are also simple enough non invasive tests you can have done to see if you are still capable of having a child.Perhaps an open and frank appointment with a doctor well woman clinic might be a good start. You may be banking on a dream that is already over. You dont also want to lose this man you say is the love of your life over it.

Regarding a sperm donor & /or tricking him into having a child he does not want this is hardly fair on him nor on the baby & would be then of it for your relationship I would imagine.

one could also ask why the sudden rush to have a baby now and panic over having to have one -Covid 19 life reevaluation or 40’s panic or trying to fix a fading relationship with a baby- tje tactic that seems never to work. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Sounds like he’s strung you along by telling you what you wanted to hear.

He doesn’t want to have a child with you so he won’t want to raise a sperm donor baby so it’s time for you to move on.

Tough as that may be.

Definitely, I say this as a lad but lads who do this are honestly scumbags, especially at the age range OP and he are in. Yet OP says this...

"He is perfect for me in every way. He is the man of my dreams plus some more"

If he's such an amazing person why's he ****ing you around on such a serious topic/issue? Reproducing is literally the biggest and most important biological function of any species, and this is not different for humans. It's absolutely fine to not want to have kids, I'm even in this boat myself, but people who don't want them have to be upfront and direct about this from the outset to avoid this exact scenario OP is in. And likewise for women who just go along with things and say they don't want kids when they don't really mean it, having it in the back of their mind that the lad will change his mind down the line. Say what you mean and mean what you say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I agree with others here, he's strung you along. I think it's particularly hard to forgive his behaviour as time is clearly a huge factor. After all it could already be too late to have a kid as it is. The idea that you're still pussyfooting about over whether he wants a kid at the eleventh hour is especially striking. That said, he didn't put a gun to your head and you've got to accept some of the responsibility for your present situation yourself. He's far from perfect for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I am almost 40. I am female. I live with my partner of five years who is six years younger than me. He is perfect for me in every way. He is the man of my dreams plus some more. When we first met, we spoke of how would get married. He told me I would be the mother of his children. That changed then to an "I don't know". He feels having children would be the beginning of the end of his life. Likewise with getting married. We don't own a house, just rent, so we don't have any legal commitments to each other. He doesn't like commitment. I know he loves me.

I would be happy to wait except that I am worried about waiting too long. Today I asked him again about if he wants children. It was again, an "I don't know". I feel that I need to accept that as a no.

A lot of people are focusing on the baby thing, granted you mentioned it in your OP. He also said he wanted to get married. Neither marriage or baby have happened in 5 years. The vast majority of people in their 30s know whether they want either long before 5 years has passed.

Why would you be happy to wait? You're 40, you don't have time to wait. If you told him that, he'd quite happily kick the can down the road.

Either he doesn't want marriage and children and strung you along for the last 5 years., and knows full well that your time is running out on the babies front, or he doesn't want them with you and knows that he can stay in the relationship with you for another while and when it suits him, break up and have children with someone else. You don't really have that option.

It's time to make a decision, him or children. As you said aside from renting together you have no commitment to each other (granted living together is a commitment). If he upped sticks and left in the morning aside from finding somewhere else to live, you would have no other commitments together. How committed is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

In my opinion, he knows you want a child and time is ticking for you, it's almost like he's trying to run out the clock so he doesn't have to make a decision on this. If it was me, my worry would be that giving him an ultimatum and himself agreeing to having a baby, for the sake of the relationship or because he feels pressured into it, he may grow to resent you when he finds himself in a situation with a wife and child and a life he doesnt want for himself. Also, after 5 years he still hasn't committed to marriage never mind having children. It sounds like he's on the fence about allot of things regarding the relationship, not just having children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Agree with others. Your time for babies is almost gone. You need to act now, or move past it. Might already be too late.

I see no sign of any commitment from this guy to you in any way. Not just kids, nothing else either. He's acting as a single person. Ready to move on at the drop off a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Having my first pregnancy at the same age as you. No complications. It's still very possible for you. But not with him. He soesnt sound arsed about the relationship never mind kids.

And he's not perfect for you. He sounds like.a coward if he cant come out and say he doesnt want kids with you instead of letting time drag on.

I understand you didnt want to have the conversation earlier in the relationship thinking you'll scare him away. You could have it with him now but id be concerned he'd just go.along with it rather than say what he really feels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You should get some proper fertility advice before making any difficult conversations or decisions regarding leaving him. At 40 it may well be too late for you to have a child - you need to find out before you make life changing decisions about your relationship.

Related to this comment, OP please consider a scenario when you stay together but don't have a child, either because it is in fact too late for you or because you gave up on the idea.

He has shown no commitment to you at all, there is nothing permanent between the two of you, not even a joint mortgage. And there is absolutely nothing stopping him from turning around when he is in his 40s himself just to say that he realised that it's in fact his dream to be a father... only it will have to be with another woman because you'll be pushing 50 then. Imagine what it would do to you.

If he doesn't understand that you cannot afford to wait he is either unintelligent or uncaring. If he cannot commit to children he needs to say that he did change his mind. You do need to make a decision and he is not doing himself any favours here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

He sounds so so selfish. He knows you want a baby and that the clock is ticking & he won’t give you an answer one way or another.
    If he truly loved and respected you he would be honest about his feelings, even if that meant potentially losing you. He knows he’s holding you back and he doesn’t care.

A family friend was in a similar position to you and ended up dumping her partner & getting IVF on her own.
    When her son was about 8 she met an amazing man, that was 9yrs ago & now the three of them are a happy little family.
    She got to have a baby and she has a great relationship with a man that she loves. She didn’t have to pick one or the other, and you don’t either.
    I know it isn’t the traditional way of doing things but the point I’m trying to make is she got both things she wanted in the end, albeit not in the order she expected.

You can fall in love at any age, that opportunity will be there for you well into your elderly age. Time is absolutely on your side on that front. Unfortunately the choice to have a baby won’t always be there for you.

Picture yourself in 10 years. You are still renting a house, no mortgage, no ring, and no kids. Would you feel happy and fulfilled? Or would you have any regrets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

The impression that I get from what you've said is that he's an ambivalent about the relationship. My suspicion is he no interest in a future with you with, but he's reluctant to be single in the here and now.

The "he doesn't like commitment" line seems off. He said he wanted kids with you once so was he open to that commitment then and has since changed his mind or was he lying? I'd be concerned that he's lost interest in the relationship but he's burying his head in the sand and coasting along to avoid being the bad guy.

The idea of going the sperm donor route while keeping the relationship is nonsense. If he doesn't want kids why do you think bringing up a child whose biologically not his would be a viable compromise for him?

Editing to add: if having a baby is that important to you I would start considering the possibility you'll be going it alone.

I won't speculate on what your partner might or might not be thinking. Let's say you go it alone and bring your baby home. It will surely change the dynamic in a big way. I think there are a few ways this could work out:

1: Your partner accepts and loves the child and takes up the father role including helping out in all the practical ways, providing and supporting etc. Happy days all round!
    2: He has little or no interest in the child, doesn't help or support you. Your relationship may survive this or eventually one of you may get browned off with the situation and say goodbye. Perhaps this will happen even before the baby is born.

If you go ahead with your plan, there is at least some chance that (1) will come to pass. If you separate now, then you rule out that possibility.

If you don't go ahead with your plan, can you accept not having a child or will you resent it over the years? What if you both break up down the road anyway?

Even if you separate now, you may not have enought time to form a new relationship with a potential father.

Bottom line: IF having a baby is the most important thing for you, I would pursue it by whatever means you can while you can and address the relationship situation afterwards with either your current partner or a new one. So yes, I think your plan makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the age of the partner. He’s 33. He probably does want children ”one day” but he’s one of those hapless guys who doesn’t understand or want to accept female biology or maths.

OP, decide which you want more; him or a baby. If you decide you want the baby more, you can go to him and tell him but I wouldn’t be settling for promises from him any more. You start trying now or you are going for a donor baby.

Hypothetically, I actually don’t see anything wrong with staying with him while having your donor baby. If he’s willing to stay with you that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Batgurl wrote: »
    One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the age of the partner. He’s 33. He probably does want children ”one day” but he’s one of those hapless guys who doesn’t understand or want to accept female biology or maths.

OP, decide which you want more; him or a baby. If you decide you want the baby more, you can go to him and tell him but I wouldn’t be settling for promises from him any more. You start trying now or you are going for a donor baby.

Hypothetically, I actually don’t see anything wrong with staying with him while having your donor baby. If he’s willing to stay with you that is.

What about the impact of that on the child. The man we are living with didn’t want to be your daddy so we got you another daddy & we still live with this man?! I don’t get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

What would happen if yer birth control failed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

He is perfect for me in every way. He is the man of my dreams plus some more.

I am almost 40. I am female. I live with my partner of five years who is six years younger than me. When we first met, we spoke of how would get married. He told me I would be the mother of his children. That changed then to an "I don't know". He feels having children would be the beginning of the end of his life. Likewise with getting married. We don't own a house, just rent, so we don't have any legal commitments to each other. He doesn't like commitment. I know he loves me.

I would be happy to wait except that I am worried about waiting too long. Today I asked him again about if he wants children. It was again, an "I don't know". I feel that I need to accept that as a no. I have almost no time left. I don't want to break up. I do want children. I don't want any other partner but him. I have looked into sperm donorship. I could go it alone, and, if he wants to stay with me, he can. That way, he can feel free to do what he wants, and I can prioritise my child/children and hope he stays. I haven't said this to anyone else except him. Am I mad?

Not trying to be smart, but splitting your post into these two parts; the man of your dreams who is perfect for you in every way and more? If that were true, you wouldn't be here, and this wouldn't be an issue. You can't be perfect for someone if you are not aligned on this issue.

I highly doubt you spent your childhood/teenage years/young adulthood dreaming of meeting a man who didn't want to father the children you hope to have. If you did, then your standards weren't high enough.

What would happen if yer birth control failed

This is terrible. You cant just force someone into having a child if they dont want one, it's personal choice.
    What an absolutely horrific and dishonest thing to do to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    What about the impact of that on the child. The man we are living with didn’t want to be your daddy so we got you another daddy & we still live with this man?! I don’t get it.

The impact wouldn’t be that different than any mother who’s had a donor baby has to eventually deal with when the child starts asking who my daddy is.

Sometimes when that happens, there is a partner in the picture too. It’s not exactly foreign territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

This is terrible. You cant just force someone into having a child if they dont want one, it's personal choice.

It happens and isn't always deliberate my question was what would happen?

I'm curious OP how you imagine your relationship working if you did go through with your plan to have a baby without your OH. Do you think once the baby is there he will suddenly have an interest in being a father or if he has no interest do you think you can divide your life between your partner and your child? When wanting to spend time with your OH who looks after the child? if he has no interest in having a child do you think he would want to share a house with you and your child? It sounds like he is comfortable with his life and if you chose to have a child while still living with him that will impact on his life even if he is not involved with the child. Are you just banking on him changing his mind once the child is there?

OP you need to sit down and have a very blunt conversation. No vague answers, no kicking the can down the road and you need to be ready to walk away if having a child is a deal a breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm curious OP how you imagine your relationship working if you did go through with your plan to have a baby without your OH. Do you think once the baby is there he will suddenly have an interest in being a father or if he has no interest do you think you can divide your life between your partner and your child? When wanting to spend time with your OH who looks after the child? if he has no interest in having a child do you think he would want to share a house with you and your child? It sounds like he is comfortable with his life and if you chose to have a child while still living with him that will impact on his life even if he is not involved with the child. Are you just banking on him changing his mind once the child is there?

OP you need to sit down and have a very blunt conversation. No vague answers, no kicking the can down the road and you need to be ready to walk away if having a child is a deal a breaker.

I'd agree, I think realistically if the OP wants a baby more than the relationship and she tells him that she is going ahead with IVF to have a donor baby and he can stick around if he wants, that will be the end of the relationship. If he doesn't want children, he's not going to stick around someone else's child. It still fundamentally changes their living arrangements even if he had nothing to do with the care of the child, there will be no more random trips to pubs or restaurants or whatever as there will be a baby to consider. From the way he has behaved so far it doesn't sound like the life he wants (with the OP at least). Can't see how he would be willing to get into this arrangement.

It happens and isn't always deliberate my question was what would happen?

She may or may not get pregnant and if she did, the couple would have the added strain of a baby that one partner didnt want.

With your ages in mind, another eventuality is that he might not want kids now but might change his mind in 10 years.
    Imagine you sacrifice your desire to have children for this man and make your peace with never being a mother, and in 10/15yrs, he decides he wants to be a father after all.
    Your baby making days will be well and truly over by then & it’s quite possible he may end the relationship himself to fulfil his dream.
    He can have children at any age and the world is his oyster, he has unlimited time to consider his options whereas you don’t.
    This isn’t beyond the realms of possibility and is definitely something you need to consider OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Or that he decides he does want a baby with his next girlfriend just not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I don't want to break up. I do want children.

This is so painful to read. It really is so hard to walk away from the man that you love. I speak from experience. A little part of me will always be sad about that. But the bigger part knows how vital it was to my health and happiness in the long run.

Life is not fair sometimes OP and love alone is not enough. If you want children, you will simply have to walk away from this man. Because his dawdling and ambivalence has cost you valuable time already and at this stage it's jeopardising any chance you might have left of having children.

I think you're holding out hope that he will give you a more precise answer to give you the ammunition you need to either walk away or grow as a couple. But the reality is that his ambivalence is an answer. Try to do as Susieblue suggested and have a good, hard think about where you want to be in 5, 10 years. Then think about how painful the regret will be if you don't give yourself every chance at happiness now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Hi OP,

It sounds like a heartbreaking situation, but like the previous poster, I've also broken up with a man I loved dearly. I am in a place in life where I'm looking for a partner, kids, marriage, the whole lot. But he wasn't sure if he and when he would want these things. And he was 38! I had to put my own needs first, as men unfortunately have the luxury of time. Us women don't.

As others have pointed out, his ambivalence seems to not just be around kids, but commitment in general. Painful as it is, he's not going to be mature enough to end this - I think you need to. You deserve the life you want, with a partner who wants and shares that life with you. He's being very selfish in not giving you a clear answer.

Wishing you well OP, this is a tough time already without these big questions arising. X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

it is, but it happens every day of the week by women who intentionally engineer it to happen knowing that the partner does not want it to happen. It is the equivalent of reproductive rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

SusieBlue wrote: »
    With your ages in mind, another eventuality is that he might not want kids now but might change his mind in 10 years.
    Imagine you sacrifice your desire to have children for this man and make your peace with never being a mother, and in 10/15yrs, he decides he wants to be a father after all.
    Your baby making days will be well and truly over by then & it’s quite possible he may end the relationship himself to fulfil his dream.
    He can have children at any age and the world is his oyster, he has unlimited time to consider his options whereas you don’t.
    This isn’t beyond the realms of possibility and is definitely something you need to consider OP.

That is not really. true. Yes, he could father a child when he is older but it is likely that the child will be unhealthy with any number of conditions such as autism, small size, feebleness, mental health or introversion disorders. I think a man should not be having children after 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think a man should not be having children after 40.
    But they easily can.

• Advertisement

it is, but it happens every day of the week by women who intentionally engineer it to happen knowing that the partner does not want it to happen. It is the equivalent of reproductive rape.

Does it? Cant say I happen to know any women that have done this. Besides that, it can take up to year of trying before getting pregnant. Women cant 'engineer' getting pregnant, we dont control our reproductive organs.

Comments like this remind me of the legitimate rape comments from an American politician years ago. Think he said something along the lines of, it wasnt real rape if the woman got pregnant because women can shut their reproductive organs down so they dont get pregnant.

That is not really. true. Yes, he could father a child when he is older but it is likely that the child will be unhealthy with any number of conditions such as autism, small size, feebleness, mental health or introversion disorders. I think a man should not be having children after 40.

Young people can just as easily produce disabled children. Not sure those include mental health disorders, feebleness or introversion disorders? Never heard of that one, but please tell me more Dr. Conor. The expert on reproduction and childbirth.

Besides the OP is asking about herself, she has already said her partner is 6 years younger than her. Assuming that makes him 32 or 33, he is along way off 40.

I’m not even going down that rabbit hole with you, the point I was making was that the opportunity for him to have children will still be there for him in 10yrs should he choose so, but it won’t be for OP. Not whether it was ethical for him to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OP your boyfriend (I won't say partner) said one thing but his actions say something else entirely. He doesn't want a child with you, he doesn't want to marry you, he doesn't want to commit to you. Sorry for being harsh.

There are risks when a woman dates someone younger and she is coming towards the end of her window of fertility. You would have met him when you were 34. You should have been thinking seriously about children then. When I was 35 a guy told me he didn't want a serious relationship with me because I was too old to consider having children with in a few years time. It hurt but there was an element of truth in what he said.

If you have a child by donor you will have to consider raising it on your own. Maybe consider adoption or fostering.

I would advise you to end it with this guy when lockdown finishes and look into having a child alone by donor if that's what you want. He's only holding you back.

Let this thread be a warning to any woman in her 30s who wants a child but is being strung along by her boyfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

maybe there should be a warning thread of unwanted children resented and not wanted by one of their parents living a life of poverty and hardship while their only adult parent struggles to financially provide for them or is simply absent from dawn to dusk trying to provide for them, work and commute. Two parents is easier - on everyone - one is not a good choice to go into and certAinly not fair on the unwanted ‘sperm donor’ child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op. You've probably left it too late already.
    If he doesn't want commitment why are you giving him commitment?
    If you want any chance of having a family you need to leave him immediately. Even then, unless you do something drastic the likelihood is you won't ever have children. That's something you need to make peace with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod note:

This is a reminder to all posters to please keep things on topic and address your advice to the OP.

Please also note that gender generalisations are not welcome in PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Be clear with him. You're being far too passive imho.

You're asking him to make the decision for you. Asking... "would you like children?" is open ended, airy fairy, it might or might not happen sometime in the distant fuzzy future.

Try starting the conversation a different way, where you direct it.

Like this:
    "I would like children with you. Let's start trying now, are you up for that?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I think he's messing you around and keeping his options open.

He's mid-30s, not 18. He should have some inkling by now that after 5yrs together (and keeping your age in mind) that the relationship is going to progress in some way - children, marriage, buy a house, whatever. This "I don't know" response is just his way of avoiding saying what he really feels - that he doesn't want any of that, and prefers to continue with a stress and commitment-light lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

Ask him directly if he now wants children. Don't ask any "maybe" "if" or "sometime" kind of questions, be straight and tell him you want children in your life like you discussed when you first met him. Tell him it is a deal breaker for you and that he needs to think hard and quick about if he wants to become a dad in the next year or two (not some undefined future period).

I had twins at age 40 after only a few months trying. Very lucky I know, but don't let yourself be stuck with a guy who doesn't want kids just because some people will tell you that at age 38 you are already too late. Maybe you are, maybe not. But don't get stuck with a guy who took away your dream as he didn't know how to make a decision.

I have friends who had a child as a single parent, no father in the picture (single person adoption). Raising a child alone is hard but manageable if that is what you want to do - whether you choose adoption, fostering or sperm donor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have friends who had a child as a single parent, no father in the picture (single person adoption). Raising a child alone is hard but manageable if that is what you want to do - whether you choose adoption, fostering or sperm donor.

Just on the adoption, since the hague convention, it is exceptionally difficult for irish people to adopt foreign children. The cutoff age for domestic adoption is 35.

Fostering etc are fine, but adoption is considerably more difficult than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

pwurple wrote: »
    Just on the adoption, since the hague convention, it is exceptionally difficult for irish people to adopt foreign children. The cutoff age for domestic adoption is 35.

Fostering etc are fine, but adoption is considerably more difficult than it used to be.

Yes , definitely. So many people think it's an easy answer but the lack of foreign countries offering adoption to Ireland is small and the process itself is long & difficult (as described to me by a friend who went through it alone). So few adoptions happen compared to what people imagine. The stats are surprisingly low.

If the OP wanted to go it alone, sperm donor would be a more likely option than adoption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭skallywag

Ellie2008 wrote: »

Agree strongly with this.

Staying with this chap, while having a baby via a doner at the same time, would be completely bizarre and a most certain recipe for disaster later down the line.

OP, I get where you are coming from, but if you down the doner route you will not be able to stay together in my opinion.

• Administrators Posts: 14,436 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

OP, I honestly think having a sperm donor baby and hoping to remain in this relationship is a bonkers idea. I think you don't want to break up with him but you want to force him to break up with you. If you go ahead with a sperm donor and he doesn't want a baby, then what do you think will happen?

You all remain living together but he lives a completely separate life to you and your baby. Not getting involved in ANY of the child rearing stuff. Feeding, cleaning, holding, go out together for a day in the park? If he doesn't want his own baby, he's unlikely to embrace an anonymous donor's baby. Or are you hoping to plough on, and hope he gets used to the idea? Realises he wants you more than he doesn't want a baby?

If you get pregnant and he stays, everyone will assume he's the father of your baby. If you get pregnant and he leaves, everyone will assume he's the father of your baby. It is incredibly unfair in a relationship (with no fertility issues) to consider a sperm donor. If you feel the need to go down that route because your partner doesn't want to commit to having a baby yet, then that should be the message loud and clear that you are not compatible and you should go your separate ways.

You need to decide pretty soon if you want a baby, and if you do you need to make a clean break from this man and then start getting your affairs in order. You need to decide which is more important to you. Because as things stand you can't have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

OP, I was where you are a couple of years back but made the decision to leave, as no matter how much I adored my partner I knew I would end up resenting him if we didn't have kids.
    I now have a 2 year old boy with my new partner, and I absolutely adore my son.
    My only advice is, do not bring a child into a relationship if he doesn't want it - my new partner wanted kids & we struggle at times as its such pressure on relationships when they are small and you fight over who is more tired etc.... I just couldn't imagine the situation if my partner hadn't wanted him.
    Good luck with everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Women do it all the time, it even has monikers such as
    sperm-raping, sperm-jacking, a glue baby.

Reverse the roles and then think about how it would be viewed

• Advertisement
Advertisement